This thread currently has 8,909 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Helgy
August 24, 2018, 11:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
So if you have a crowd of 500 and you need 4,000 to break even the EFL will compensate you for that loss?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 75
forza ivano
August 25, 2018, 12:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,161
Gold Stars: 265
I was once wisely advised to do a + and - comparison when faced with a major decision. ( pros and cons etc.)
Now apply this to fenty and that scummy competition being discussed.
Jf , to state the blindingly obvious isn't terribly popular, and supporting the Checkatrade ain't exactly helping.
So  imagine a scenario where he accepted the fans argument and said right, I understand 'my constituents' concerns and I will vote against the present format. In the meantime, whilst I can't condone the boycott, could I please ask fans to buy £10 of gtfc merchandise even if they don't attend a game.
I don't see too many minuses in that scenario and 1 helluva lot of plusses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 75
ska face
August 25, 2018, 5:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,641
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from Helgy
So if you have a crowd of 500 and you need 4,000 to break even the EFL will compensate you for that loss?

Imagine it’s slightly more technical than that and will relate to your operating costs (i.e. stadium costs, staffing, etc) when hosting games, but yes. Won’t be a case of the EFL finding Akinde’s weekly £4K and pen bonus as that’s not a cost directly related to the competition.

There was a big hoohah about it because the EFL had kept this a secret between themselves and the clubs until one of our directors blurted it out at the fans’ forum last year to save his bottom.

After that hit the press, the EFL sneakily updated their rules and regs on their website to reflect what they had never acknowledged before.

[img]https://s33.postimg.cc/i1inxt5un/52_AF5_B01-_B7_EB-4867-_B9_D1-0_B185_F1_B7104.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 75
bluerose13x
August 25, 2018, 9:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +323
If the costs of hosting the game / any loses are covered they why should I be bothered about giving my money to the club for this match. The EFL can cover the loss of my non attendance. I'll be having an extra 5 tickets in the half time bonanza draw the following match instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 75
ginnywings
August 25, 2018, 9:42am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
If the club had voted against this, and still fulfilled their fixtures, they would have got more sympathy and probably more fans though the gate. I can see why lower league clubs accept the money on offer, as it must be a daily grind keeping a small club afloat, but they must realise that this is how people with serious dosh get their way, by slowly chipping away at the edges. The unacceptable eventually becomes acceptable, and then they will up the ante at some point. Lower league clubs are vulnerable and say they will never vote for the inclusion of 'B' teams on a more permanent basis, but there will be an amount of money that would eventually start to change their minds. The big clubs have that money and more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 75
KingstonMariner
August 25, 2018, 9:55am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
Lower league clubs are vulnerable and say they will never vote for the inclusion of 'B' teams on a more permanent basis, but there will be an amount of money that would eventually start to change their minds. The big clubs have that money and more.

Like that old story about Winston Churchill/GB Shaw (it's always one or the other) at a dinner party.

WSC/GBS to attractive woman: My dear will you sleep with me for a million pounds?
Woman: Erm, why yes Mr Chruchill/Shaw
WSC/GBS: Would you sleep with me for a shilling?
Woman: Certainly not! What kind of a woman do you take me for?
WSC/GBS: We established what kind of woman you are with my first question. Now we're just haggling over the price.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 75
moosey_club
August 25, 2018, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Its the thin end of the wedge ...
GTFC didnt consult with the trust and sneaked the YES vote in..
Shaun Harvey LIED to the clubs and changed the format after the vote
Its not even Under 23's ...FFS there were 30-40 yr old reserve players playing
For the benefit of developing the next wave of English talent ...again high numbers of foreign players in those squads
We havnt won a fking game in the competition yet
The anti competition view is BULLYING
A good chunk of Premiership teams (who this format was supposed to be for) dont even enter a team anyway

Oh whats that ? Its only £5 .... well in that case ....

FCK OFF !! I have a long memory and some principals.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 75
BackHeelTony
August 25, 2018, 8:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +325
Gold Stars: 1
Here's a challenge then; can we get more fans at Clee Town's FA Cup replay on the same night?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 75
MrFisherman
August 26, 2018, 8:07am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
The thing that makes me laugh about all the boycott crap about the Checkatrade Trophy that over the last few years theyve changed the format a few times over the years why haven't ppl spat their dummies out before now!!!
Just to finish I'll be there home and away watching Town play in whatever competition it is!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 75
Maringer
August 26, 2018, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,489
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the argument that League clubs would have to vote in favour of including 'B' teams to enable it, well, they had to vote in favour of the Elite Player Performance Plan as well. They did so because otherwise, they would lose all support for their academies. Simple blackmail on the part of the Premiershite clubs and the League clubs capitulated.

Now, if Town's academy unearths a future world-beater, one of the big academies will swoop in to nick him for pennies. A maximum of 20-odd thousand I seem to recall?

The Premiershite care about nothing but the bottom line - their ideal would be a Premiership 1 and 2 comprising the biggest clubs (i.e. those with the most revenue potential) with no promotion/relegation into these teams and screw the rest of us. In fact, it is the prospect of a PL2 which means that the League rolls over and tickles and shows its belly to give them everything they ask for. The League can survive with the Championship under their purview. If the biggest Championship join a PL body, we'll all be at non-league level before long.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chuck a trade tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.