8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
August 24, 2018, 6:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,465
Gold Stars: 1,500
‘Put the prices right down, we’ll cover any losses, then make the rise in attendances look like a success’ - the football league, probably

As much as that sounds like a conspiracy theory, it’s not that far from the truth is it? I mean, why has this even happened in the first place?

Look at it this way - the football league is a private, for profit business. It will instinctively follow the most lucrative path.

Premier League clubs have an abundance of money, but limited opportunities for their academy players to play competitive matches against senior professionals.

Meanwhile, league one and two clubs have senior players but little money. The solution? Premier League clubs fund a significant increase participation funds which by far offsets the drop in ticket sales the inclusion of ‘elite’ under-23 sides triggers.

Inevitably, clubs like Town vote positively in unanimous fashion, not due to interest in the development of young academy players, but because it makes the most financial sense.

Everyone’s a winner. Except of course, the fans. But as is becoming increasingly clear, we are to ever play second fiddle to the pursuit of money. Not that I apportion blame to clubs at this level who struggle to stay afloat - it’s just a sad indictment of the sickening amount of money at the top of the game.

The depressing irony of it all is that all this money is driven largely by fans who never attend games - the Super Sunday types and the millions (if not billions) in the Far East and beyond.

It’s sad, but it’s the future. And we need to get used to it because there’s little the ordinary fan can do do change it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 75
immariner
August 24, 2018, 7:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from ska face
Anyone attending these matches endorses and legitimises the view that Grimsby Town FC, and our 140 years of history, are on a par with Wolves and Middlesborough u21 reserve team. That’s a fact.

If you’re worried about the club losing revenue, take your fiver down to the club shop and hand it to them. Why stop there? Make it a tenner

You may be happy in spending your life on your knees in front of Shaun Harvey while he tries to get his snout in the Premier League trough, but don’t think you’re any better than the people who wouldn’t give away our heritage, identify and pride so cheaply.

The bit in bold I was going to bring up. Lincoln made best part of half a mill in gate receipts from last season's competition. I think if people would go to these games if it wasn't for the format, and if they feel like it, maybe buy something in the club shop next time you're in there or maybe even drag a mate/spouse/mistress along to the next league game as a treat/punishment. I think we all want to show our disdain for this competition but also want to see Town as competitive as possible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 75
chaos33
August 24, 2018, 7:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
I ain't going and the ticket price makes not a bit of difference. What? Tickets are 10p you say? Stick it!
Good posts from Ska and Poojah.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 75
grimsby pete
August 24, 2018, 7:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I do not want to say what other people should do,

BUT

Think what Michael Jolley could do with an extra £100.000 or more,

You could boycott the under 23 games  but attend the others,

It might be our best bet in having a cup run who knows.

At the end of the day it's your choice.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 75
Vance Warner
August 24, 2018, 7:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
An extra 100 grand could make us more competitive for one season (although not if everyone gets a similar slice) but we’re a club with 140 years of history and a future that needs protecting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 75
Cloudy
August 24, 2018, 7:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Potential Short term gain exchanged for long term oblivion, no thanks
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 75
August 24, 2018, 8:04pm
Guest User
At the last and rather infamous fans forum, John Fenty claimed the Under 23's format isn't intended as a gateway for U23 sides in the football league. He said it must be voted for by a large majority of the FL clubs. And I actually believe him to be fair, but I've still no interest in seeing Academy sides, I think it's a urine take, they think they can send their kids to play our proud and historic club? Not for me, I'll give it a wide berth again. I loved the competition as well, the only realistic chance of silverware. Should have just left it as it was but they've gone for the relative pittance the Premier league have bribed the clubs with. Sad.
Reply: 26 - 75
Grim74
August 24, 2018, 8:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I wouldn’t go if they paid me I don’t care what they say, if this gets viewed as a succcess the next step will be b teams in the league.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 75
Helgy
August 24, 2018, 8:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +118
That’s what I was told BP Vicar , that no league clubs would want them in the EFL.
Physically they are not up to it everyone knows it.
For sure the Prem put in the prize Money without that it would not be worth the effort.
The Caraboa cup is a joke prize money starts at the semi Finals and only 25k.
I enjoyed the games last season , a boycott means nothing to the EFL but costs your club money to host the games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 75
Cloudy
August 24, 2018, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Helgy
That’s what I was told BP Vicar , that no league clubs would want them in the EFL.
Physically they are not up to it everyone knows it.
For sure the Prem put in the prize Money without that it would not be worth the effort.
The Caraboa cup is a joke prize money starts at the semi Finals and only 25k.
I enjoyed the games last season , a boycott means nothing to the EFL but costs your club money to host the games.

Personally I don’t care one iota if my boycott means nothing to the EFL it is about my own principles. Nobody will ever convince me that an established football club like Grimsby Town should be playing in a competition against other clubs Development squads/Under23’s.
It is simply wrong and I will not condone it by attending
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 75
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chuck a trade tickets

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.