4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
sam gy
August 19, 2018, 10:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Deserves a thread of his own by the sound of the commentary yesterday!

Feels like after a few injury hit seasons before he came to us, he’s finally finding his rhythm again. He arrived last season with no pre season under his belt, and having not played much football recently...then had a really stop start season when he was in and out the squad until Jolley arrived.

The guy has been a goal scoring winger/attacking midfielder in league one and the championship most of his career and that quality/experience is starting to show. Sounds like he was taking it past players for fun yesterday, and as we saw yesterday, and at Wycombe and Accy last season, he is a calm finisher when presented with an opportunity.

Good on him.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
NorthseaMariner
August 19, 2018, 11:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
Yes, he was excellent yesterday. He ran rings around their defence, so pleased to see him playing like he obviously knows he can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
quebec38
August 19, 2018, 11:26am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,576
Gold Stars: 48
Very good yesterday-just wish he’d played that one across the goal instead of shooting, although you could argue he deserved the shot after turning their defenders inside out singlehandedly!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
oldun
August 19, 2018, 12:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Good show, rejuvinated since MJ and his team came. At times he was gliding past people like they did not exist
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
Zmariner
August 19, 2018, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Class player I certainly stand corrected on this one. Best player on pitch yesterday. My opinion changed versus Chesterfield last year when he was the one leading the charge under pressure and showed a lot of bottle. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2018, 12:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
He will also have benefited from a proper pre-season this time round.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
jonnyboy82
August 19, 2018, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Imo best postion was what he was playing yesterday , out wide .

Not lightning quick but fast enough but its his workrate and experience that means atm its his shirt to lose.

He has started very well.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
HertsGTFC
August 19, 2018, 1:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
I agree with the above, clearly a pre season has helped massively, very clever player IMHO.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
golfer
August 19, 2018, 1:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Agree Jonnyboy about his best position but think that the team in general is improving as they get used to M.J.'s requirements and also vice versa. Happy times ahead but am not going to get too disheartened if the odd hiccup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Zmariner
August 19, 2018, 1:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Zmariner
Class player I certainly stand corrected on this one. Best player on pitch yesterday. My opinion changed versus Chesterfield last year when he was the one leading the charge under pressure and showed a lot of bottle. UTM

I got a red cross for this comment there really are some numpties around
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
golfer
August 19, 2018, 3:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

You will just have to ignore them,I think you will find that the person who gave you the red x will have also given you red x's on a lot of posts. It's a problem they have and you must have previously upset them.. Their brain hasn't grown with the rest of their bodies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
Mighty_Mariner
August 19, 2018, 4:20pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from golfer

You will just have to ignore them,I think you will find that the person who gave you the red x will have also given you red x's on a lot of posts. It's a problem they have and you must have previously upset them.. Their brain hasn't grown with the rest of their bodies.

Golfer is right!

The unfortunate world of the Fishy..... Have a dissagreement with somebody once and forever be red crossed!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
Mrs Doyle
August 19, 2018, 4:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Man of the match by a country mile superb performance showed a cool head in a rip-roaring derby atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
rancido
August 19, 2018, 7:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,528
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Zmariner

It seems to be an unwritten rule on The Fishy that if you mention red crosses on a post then your post highlighting this must be inundated with red crosses.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Madeleymariner
August 19, 2018, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,047
Gold Stars: 49
Son Of gets a red cross on everything he posts inc, once on a match thread saying  'YES get in there'  when we scored  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
oochiad
August 19, 2018, 8:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
We know they’re imps on here, fairly obvious red crosses are by such people........why let it bother you.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
McAllisters Ghost
August 19, 2018, 8:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +42
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Son Of gets a red cross on everything he posts inc, once on a match thread saying  'YES get in there'  when we scored  

Then you should be nicer to your boy Madeley and not give them to him

Maybe make like Tommy Forecast and ignore crosses!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
golfer
August 19, 2018, 8:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

It seems to be an unwritten rule on The Fishy that if you mention red crosses on a post then your post highlighting this must be inundated with red crosses.

I am not going to mention ???  ???????  anymore so if anybody wants to give me  ??? ??????? they can.  ??? ??????? don't mean a thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
HertsGTFC
August 19, 2018, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,880
Gold Stars: 227
Anyway back to the Martyn Woolford bit......., I think once MJ has all his full/wing backs fit I’d expect us to go 3 at the back and Woolly in the middle sending balls into the channels for the strikers and switching around play.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Maringer
August 19, 2018, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Woolford was playing more as an attacker yesterday as opposed to a midfielder. He got the space to play and attack (pretty well) because of the work of Welsh, Hessenthaler and Clifton in the middle. I'd prefer not to see him playing centrally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
Mighty_Mariner
August 19, 2018, 10:18pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'd definitely continue with Woolford playing in the RFW position... He ran Lincoln ragged yesterday and looked back to the player he was during his best Scunny days.

I think we lose some of his threat and flair when played in the centre as evidenced against Forest Green and Rochdale where he was fairly ineffectual!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
jamesgtfc
August 19, 2018, 10:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
It was an absolute pleasure to witness that performance from Woolford yesterday. He was comfortable playing with his right and left foot but the way he held defenders off and killed our defensive clearances dead with his first touch was a joy to watch.

He has never been the quickest and he's undoubtedly lost a yard or two of pace but at this level, a fully fit and firing Woolford is gains that yard back in thought and deed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Tommy
August 19, 2018, 11:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
His run in the 2nd half when he beat the defender for strength and pace round the outside then got in the box and sat the next defender down before firing a shot away was class. Shame it didn't end in a goal.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
fiveallive
August 20, 2018, 5:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Woolford always shines in a 4-5-1 formation with young legs near him in midfield, ie Hessenthaler, Clifton or Rose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
golfer
August 20, 2018, 7:16am
Vodka Drinker
It suits him better to be playing wide. If you have got a tricky winger it always draws 2 defenders out wide leaving more space inside. On Saturday he was even drawing a third defender out of position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
GtfcGarner
August 20, 2018, 7:40am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
Not going to lie, I had him on my released list at the end of the season but to the start of this one shows us why he wasn’t. Also why I am not a football manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
ginnywings
August 20, 2018, 8:56am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
When he first came here last season, there were 2 or 3 games at BP where he was the best player on the pitch i thought, and you could clearly see he had played at a higher level, but then, like most of the rest of the team, he declined and became a figure of derision with most fans. Skilful players like him always get it in the neck when the team is doing badly, because they are perceived as "not getting stuck in" and fighting for the cause, but that's not his game. Slade took away all the players confidence with his negative, boring, flip chart football. Classroom sessions under him must have been incredibly dull, judging by his fans forum presentation.

You could see on Saturday, what a change of manager and mindset can do for a player. Their left back must have been having nightmares, and Woolford did such a number on him, that even Davies skinned him at one point. Sometimes it's not the fault of the player that he isn't performing, more that he isn't being utilised in the right way, or given the right mindset by the manager. Some managers seem to be able to bring out the best in players, and they are usually the successful ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
chipsandgravy
August 20, 2018, 10:44am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings
When he first came here last season, there were 2 or 3 games at BP where he was the best player on the pitch i thought, and you could clearly see he had played at a higher level, but then, like most of the rest of the team, he declined and became a figure of derision with most fans. Skilful players like him always get it in the neck when the team is doing badly, because they are perceived as "not getting stuck in" and fighting for the cause, but that's not his game. Slade took away all the players confidence with his negative, boring, flip chart football. Classroom sessions under him must have been incredibly dull, judging by his fans forum presentation.

You could see on Saturday, what a change of manager and mindset can do for a player. Their left back must have been having nightmares, and Woolford did such a number on him, that even Davies skinned him at one point. Sometimes it's not the fault of the player that he isn't performing, more that he isn't being utilised in the right way, or given the right mindset by the manager. Some managers seem to be able to bring out the best in players, and they are usually the successful ones.

Yep agree with that. Also having Welsh, Hessenthaler doing the physical stuff allows him to do what he does best.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Cloudy
August 20, 2018, 11:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from ginnywings

Their left back Toffolo(?) was considered a top signing for the Gimps. Was on loan last season at Scunny from Norwich and kept Townsend out the side for a time. Signed for big money on a 3 year deal and looked woeful on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
oldun
August 20, 2018, 2:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Toffolo was getting some serious stick from Danny Cowley in the second half. Not sure that will have done his confidence much good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
diehardmariner
August 20, 2018, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,413
Gold Stars: 532
Woolford was a joy to watch on Saturday.  He reminds me of Alex Rodman in the way he has very little pace but that ability to just glide past defenders with either a dropped shoulder or a casual drag-back.  You can see it coming but no-one ever seems to anticipate it, I suppose it's a bit Dave Gilbert like too.

The benefit of him in a midfield 3 last season was experience and his ability to calm things down when we needed to.  We don't need that this season, especially with Welsh in there.  We'll get more out of Woolford the closer he is to the opposition goal.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
BottesfordMariner
August 20, 2018, 5:41pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
When Woolford signed last summer I thought he was going to be a great signing,. I remembered him from his Scunny days in particular and he had a good record in L1 and the Championshp.

Needless to say for much of last season he did not live up to expectations. Whether it was the role his was asked to play, the formation or his general fitness he was a huge disappointment. When MJ took over Woolford got into the team and played a significant role in our survival.

A healthy pre-season under his belt he was MOM for me on Saturday and looked like the player i thought we had signed a year ago. Showed his experience and quality. He is a very good player for this level.

Lets hope he stays clear of injury and keeps this kind of form up. Pleased for him on a personal level because he got some stick last season from sections of the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Martyn Woolford

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.