Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bold v the cautious.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 143 Guests

The bold v the cautious.

This thread currently has 3,900 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 19, 2018, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I thought Famewo was excellent after a slightly shaky first 20 minutes or so, though he wasn't the only defender making errors in that period.

His positioning wasn't perhaps the best at times, but his pace and strength made up for that. I'd be happy if he remained our left-back based on that performance as he can only get better as he learns the role. Failing that, perhaps we'll see him in a back 3 if some wing-backs are sorted out? The additional pace is a real asset if you have it available.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
ska face
August 19, 2018, 6:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,337
Gold Stars: 820
Game of opinions and all that but think some are going (predicably) overboard on Famewo. I thought he was great once he settled in to his 2nd ever football league start, and only gave the ball away as much as anyone else. Think he’ll be great on the left side of that 3.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Garth
August 20, 2018, 8:24am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Thought Famewo settled into the role after a nervous start, young lad, big crowd, affects some more than others, he will be Okay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Croxton
August 20, 2018, 9:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Famewo's pace means he is a better long term bet than Dixon. Clifton was on a yellow. Thought Max could have replaced Hooper who had little impact in final 15 min.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
ginnywings
August 20, 2018, 9:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Famewo from minute 1 was a different prospect from the Famewo of minute 90. Visibly grew as the game wore on. Sometimes as fans, we need to be a bit more patient, and give a young player a bit of leeway.

Who of us were good at their jobs right from day 1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
Mighty_Mariner
August 20, 2018, 9:06am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Like others, I thought Famewo looked very nervous first 10 mins and misused a few passes/clearances. Very understandable in a big game,. In front of a large crowd and only his second ever league start.

Afternthat period he grew into game remarkably well and I thought he was excellent from there on out. He showed great pace and strength, calmness on the ball to control and pick out black nd white shirts under pressure and wasn't afraid to carry the ball forward. Defensively, he was very good and Anderson and later Green got nothing from him.

You can see why Jolley was keen to sign him as he carries the ball forward really well, backed up by pace and power!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
jamesgtfc
August 20, 2018, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I always thought Hurst set his teams up to nullify the oppositions strengths whereas Jolley seems to focus on their weaknesses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
psgmariner
August 20, 2018, 2:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I always thought Hurst set his teams up to nullify the oppositions strengths whereas Jolley seems to focus on their weaknesses.

I certainly think he is more positive than Hurst as a rule but against Lincoln we started with 4 centre backs - very much thinking about nullifying the opposition's strength!

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Tommy
August 20, 2018, 6:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Yeah there's no question Jolley does focus on the strengths of the opposition and how we can stop them. But the difference is I don't think he doesn't prioritise that over our own strengths (and the oppo weaknesses) that we can exploit.

Hurst wouldn't take calculated risks - opening up to try and win a game that was level, putting extra attacking players on or playing younger/less-experienced players. His "fear of losing" he's spoken about since going to Ipswich perhaps leads to this approach of: safety first, and we'll nick a win if we can.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
mimma
August 20, 2018, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
At the match I commented on how much time Famewo seemed to have even when clearing the ball. Sign of a good player when they have time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bold v the cautious.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.