Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bold v the cautious.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 171 Guests

The bold v the cautious.

This thread currently has 3,925 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 19, 2018, 7:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
What really pleased me yesterday, in what was a big game, with a big expectant crowd, was that Jolley chose to give Clifton a centre mid role and threw in Famewo, both of which were bold decisions, given their relative inexperience.

I much prefer a manager who will take a calculated risk, than one who sticks to a rigid pattern of play, with the same line up and formation week after week. It's what infuriated me the most about Hurst and Slade. Jolley clearly goes for the win, rather than going out not to lose, which i really like to see in a manager. It makes for a much better spectacle, and although it will come unstuck now and again, with three points for a win, it's well worth the risk.

I'd much rather watch three good games of football and lose 2 of them, than watch three bore draws. Same result points wise, but much more engaging for the supporters. Of course, if the gamble pays off and you win two, or even three of those games, your points tally soon rises. Think we may be a bit hit and miss for a while, but i like what i am seeing. Fortune favours the brave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
August 19, 2018, 8:38am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Generally I agree and I felt the same about Hurst especially when we played the minnows at home. But one slight downside on your scenario of win one-lose two scenario is you’re more likely to end up with a negative goal difference than if you draw three. Of course the upside is you’re more likely to get 4 or more points.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
moosey_club
August 19, 2018, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,199
Gold Stars: 224
whether it was FGR being exceptional ... or our 3-5-2 not being effective .... MJ certainly made the changes at Macclesfield by going 4-5-1 and the performances were like night & day ....again yesterday the 4-5-1 and personnel changes seemed to do the trick.

Would have been happier if the above could maybe have been introduced at half time against FGR as despite winning we were no where near FGR playing 3-5-2 in reality.

Early days and most points in the bag since returning to the League so onwards and upwards.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
Poojah
August 19, 2018, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,421
Gold Stars: 1,499
To badly paraphrase Meat Loaf, one out of six ain’t bad. We’ve had one bad (arguably atrocious) half out of six in the league so far, and even that was largely defined by horrendous individual errors which are unlikely to be repeated on a regular basis.

Yesterday we were incredibly unlucky not to win against a side with a playing budget almost certainly approaching double ours, and whilst it’s still incredibly early days, I think that bodes well.

I don’t see us troubling the top three - I just don’t think we have the quality and depth in the squad for that but I’ve seen enough to believe we have a shot at the play-offs. Even getting close would be unbelievable progress.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
Tommy
August 19, 2018, 1:38pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from moosey_club
whether it was FGR being exceptional ... or our 3-5-2 not being effective .... MJ certainly made the changes at Macclesfield by going 4-5-1 and the performances were like night & day ....again yesterday the 4-5-1 and personnel changes seemed to do the trick.

Would have been happier if the above could maybe have been introduced at half time against FGR as despite winning we were no where near FGR playing 3-5-2 in reality.

Early days and most points in the bag since returning to the League so onwards and upwards.

I do wonder whether MJ will go back and have another go at 3-5-2 when the squad building is complete and he's happy he's got the players to execute it more effectively - RHJ and Fox back fit, Thomas signed, new wing-back signed and he's said he's still looking to add to the squad.

Hendrie being described as a wing-back just got me thinking.
And also Thomas being brought in as what I would imagine would be the main central striker. I don't think MJ would want to move Cook away from being central, so maybe he'd want to go back to 2 strikers.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Rik e B
August 19, 2018, 2:19pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Martin Woolford said in pre-match interview when talking about systems that he didn't think 3-5-2 was dead just that right now Jolley hasn't the personnel to implement. The signing of a wing-back backs up this idea that it still very much in the manager's thoughts; afterall it was worked on very heavily pre-season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Bignic69
August 19, 2018, 4:07pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Clifton and Hess just in front of Welsh worked very well yesterday, Welsh clearly knows what he's doing and the other 2 did his running.
Famewo at left back though worried me throughout.
I like the fact that Jolley can accept that something didn't work and isn't afraid to change.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
RoboCod
August 19, 2018, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Thus Famewo thing is odd, most happy with his 2nd half but thought the nerves showed in the first, some saying he looked a little off throughout...is he such a curates egg player, or are we seeing him just easing into the role?

Have to say I'm happy with him myself and expect him to grow in stature under MJ.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Bignic69
August 19, 2018, 4:34pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from RoboCod
Thus Famewo thing is odd, most happy with his 2nd half but thought the nerves showed in the first, some saying he looked a little off throughout...is he such a curates egg player, or are we seeing him just easing into the role?

Have to say I'm happy with him myself and expect him to grow in stature under MJ.

He just isn't a left back mate.  I'm by no means writing him off and only commenting on yesterdays game. He was played out of position and his first half was poor, did that cloud my judgement of him second half? Maybe, I was wincing every time he got ran at or he got passed to.  

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
arryarryarry
August 19, 2018, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
What really pleased me yesterday, in what was a big game, with a big expectant crowd, was that Jolley chose to give Clifton a centre mid role and threw in Famewo, both of which were bold decisions, given their relative inexperience.

I much prefer a manager who will take a calculated risk, than one who sticks to a rigid pattern of play, with the same line up and formation week after week. It's what infuriated me the most about Hurst and Slade. Jolley clearly goes for the win, rather than going out not to lose, which i really like to see in a manager. It makes for a much better spectacle, and although it will come unstuck now and again, with three points for a win, it's well worth the risk.

I'd much rather watch three good games of football and lose 2 of them, than watch three bore draws. Same result points wise, but much more engaging for the supporters. Of course, if the gamble pays off and you win two, or even three of those games, your points tally soon rises. Think we may be a bit hit and miss for a while, but i like what i am seeing. Fortune favours the brave.

I don't think Clifton got that many mentions in the just back thread but I thought he had by far his best game for Town and was my man of the match, a little surprised he was taken off.

Famewo showed some nice touches but defensively looked a bit weak as he has done in the few games I have seen him played.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The bold v the cautious.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.