7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
August 19, 2018, 3:59am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'm not suggesting this, but merely offering up the point for debate.

Do we think Danny Collins would be better as a squad player, offering his experience to the younger players from within the squad rather than the first XI, and allowing someone like Famewo to take up the reigns?

Already this season we've seen Danny make a couple of little mistake that have lead to goals that we didn't necessarily see last season.

Is this a sign of his age getting to him?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
August 19, 2018, 6:50am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 134
Famewo to me was our weakness 1st half defensively. Right in front of me several times he miss controlled, lost the ball, lost a challenge or missed a challenge. But going forward he was great, drove with intent. I came onto here and see he usually plays cb? Could have easily mistaken him for a winger!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 61
ginnywings
August 19, 2018, 7:13am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I like DC a lot, but age catches up with all of us. I'm not saying his legs have gone, primarily because i hate that phrase, but he has had one or two senior moments lately. Overall though, i still think he is capable of playing in this league and his reading of the game, and obvious natural fitness, make up for any advancing age problems that may be creeping into his game. I think he is just starting to edge his bets a little in terms of positioning to compensate, and every now and again, it will catch him out. But for me, his benefits still outweigh any perceived deficiencies. Him and Whitmore won just about everything in the air yesterday and on the deck, against a very decent Lincoln side, so on balance, i think he should still be in the side. That may, or may not change as the season progresses.

Famewo looks to be very promising but he also looked very jittery in the first half, certainly due to his lack of first team experience. So, two players at either ends of their careers, and for me, Collins still the better choice to be the left sided centre back. For now anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 61
Bigdog
August 19, 2018, 7:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
I think he's got a role to play Ginny, but to be honest I think Whitmore has far outperformed DC in the past three league games and it has set me wondering whether we'd be better off without DC in the team. If MJ thinks Famewo is ready or even needs a game or two to grow into the role, I think we've got everything to gain from having a stronger more mobile player at centre half. DC got beat in the air a lot at Macclesfield, Whitmore didn't. I don't want to criticise any one of our players too heavily, but there was a lot of evidence last season that DC wasn't coping but he did of course have NC alongside him. As we're trying to blend a new team together, I'd like to see us blend Famewo in too. DC will have some good games and he'll have some bad games. Nothing personal, but I don't think he has the physical attributes the be the regular kingpin in our defence anymore, especially if we're trying to be progressive and build a new side on the pitch. Whitmore is looking more and more like the leader game by game..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 61
ginnywings
August 19, 2018, 7:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Some good points Bigdog and maybe as the season progresses he will be eased out of the side. It can only be a good thing for us if it happens, because it means someone else would be stepping up to the plate. I think DC has been a great signing while he's been here, and we haven't had anyone to oust him in that time, so if we do have a player to do it, it can only improve us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 61
Cloudy
August 19, 2018, 7:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Shocked at the comments tbh.

I criticised DC for making a challenge he didn’t have to make which ultimately cost us 2 points however for me, his reading of the game, positional sense, leadership, balance he gives being left sided, and experience means he would still be my first choice central defender.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 61
Mariner93er
August 19, 2018, 8:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
To be fair to Collins,  I don't think it's a foul in a million years. It's the fact akinde falls over which makes Collins fall over him which makes it look worse than it is. I still think he has plenty to give.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 61
MARINERSMAN22
August 19, 2018, 8:31am
Wembley 2K15 Centre Box <3
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: -395
In terms of what he can bring for Davis, Whitmore and Famewo he deserves to start. He has had a couple of shaky moments but you look at the smile and confidence he brought out of Shaun pearson. He wasn’t a first team defender before and next to collins he was solid! I’m hoping we are building a team full of youngish players as opposed to days gone by of has beens.

Absolutely cracking game yesterday, we dominated against a team that ridiculed us and has been hyped up a lot. Every player deserves to not be questioned for at least another week.

*i have got £20 on Town to win the league 😂😂😂

Wembley2K15 Centre Box

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 61
quebec38
August 19, 2018, 8:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,549
Gold Stars: 44
Against FGR he made not even a once in a career mistake. Yesterday he got suckered in by Akindepen. Sometimes you see them given against the defender and sometimes they go against the attacker for backing in. Otherwise yesterday I thought he battled well and on the whole had a good game. Let’s not write him off yet, in general he’s more than good enough IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 61
Garth
August 19, 2018, 9:00am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
DC had a good game yesterday against a decent team and was a victim of a cheat and poor refereeing, his mistake against FGR was just one of those things and could have been made by a twenty year old, nothing to do about age. having said that there is nothing wrong in blooding in the youngsters when the manager thinks fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 61
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Danny Collins

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.