Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Lincoln City.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 207 Guests

Team for Lincoln City.

This thread currently has 4,302 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
August 16, 2018, 11:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from Elgringo87
I’d swap hoooer for rose , yes it’s a big derby and yes he’s very inexperienced but the lad has a point to prove and a chance to take and his raw pace might just unnerve them slightly and create something different and give there back 4 something to think about , plus hoooer hasn’t exactly offered much yet and the Lincoln Centre backs must be licking there lips at coming up against him , love to be proved wrong though

no
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
dicko995
August 16, 2018, 12:03pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
oh how I wish we could sign a hefty striker and a battling midfielder today, stick them in the team for Saturday,and stick it up them imps. If Carlsberg would only listen to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
jamesgtfc
August 16, 2018, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
McKeown
RHJ Whitmore Davis Dixon
Clifton Hessenthaler Welsh Woolford Vernam
Cook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
RoboCod
August 16, 2018, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Elgringo87
Hooper

Thought your 'P' key had broken off for a moment

Sort of agree, I don't see Hooper proving himself either way this season, more of last year from him, patches of good, intelligent play, periods of almost uninterested lolling about then the odd moment of brilliance. He really needs to be pushed for his place, though I'm not sure by whom.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
diehardmariner
August 16, 2018, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Need some pace and energy on the left hand side because either in a back five or four, the combination of Dixon and Collins is too slow.  That's an absolute must for me.

We also need to put energy in midfield which rules out playing both Welsh and Woolford.  Personally I don't think we can play both in the same midfield.  Both have their own attributes and offer something different but with Welsh occupying that screening role it effectively leaves the two guys ahead of him needing to do a lot of running, which isn't Woolford's game at all.  

The issue down the left I think can be sorted with Max Wright.  Can play on either flank but is right footed.  The midfield situation to be boils down to who you would prefer in there.  Welsh or Woolford?  It's Welsh every day for me which only leaves Hessenthaler and Clifton as your midfielders, which is the two I would have gone with anyway.

Presuming we stick with a variation on 4-5-1 that leaves a question mark over who starts up top and who starts on the right wing.  I don't like Vernam out wide, I think he's wasted and I don't think anyone we have is really great at playing up front alone, Cook probably the best of the options.

With all that in mind and even though I advocated Clifton in the middle a matter of sentences ago, I would be tempted to go with Clifton and Wright wide (yes, I know Clifton isn't a winger but who else do we have?) with Welsh and Hessenthaler in the middle, allowing Vernam to support Cook from deep.  

Probably look a bit like:

Davis Whitmore Collins Dixon
          Welsh Hessenthaler
Clifton       Vernam      Wright
                 Cook
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
GollyGTFC
August 16, 2018, 12:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
                     McKeown
Davis      Whitmore     Collins      Dixon
                       Welsh
Vernam Woolford Hessenthaler Hooper
                        Cook

Subs: whoever else is fit
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 23
GollyGTFC
August 16, 2018, 12:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Hooper & Woolford were both exceptional at Macclesfield. I don't see how anyone can suggest that either of them won't play. To me the only selection dilemma is whether to play Woolford on the right wing or central midfield. I think he'll be in the middle and Vernam on the right. It's worth remembering that MJ made only 1 change after the abject display against FGR. To think he'll then make wholesale changes after the good result & performance at Macclesfield is laughable, If Rose wasn't suspended it would be the same starting XI.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 23
Bigdog
August 16, 2018, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC
                     McKeown
Davis      Whitmore     Collins      Dixon
                       Welsh
Vernam Woolford Hessenthaler Hooper
                        Cook

Subs: whoever else is fit

I think that'll be the team Golly. I've got grave reservations about four of that starting line up, but we're a bit stuck due to suspension, coming back from injury, match fitness, lack of experience and a wholesale lack of pace and quality in the squad..

Maybe MJ will spring one or two surprises..

Still, (am I insane or just ever hopeful) I've got us down for a hard fought scrappy 1-0 victory though..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
marinerdazza
August 16, 2018, 1:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from diehardmariner
Need some pace and energy on the left hand side because either in a back five or four, the combination of Dixon and Collins is too slow.  That's an absolute must for me.

We also need to put energy in midfield which rules out playing both Welsh and Woolford.  Personally I don't think we can play both in the same midfield.  Both have their own attributes and offer something different but with Welsh occupying that screening role it effectively leaves the two guys ahead of him needing to do a lot of running, which isn't Woolford's game at all.  

The issue down the left I think can be sorted with Max Wright.  Can play on either flank but is right footed.  The midfield situation to be boils down to who you would prefer in there.  Welsh or Woolford?  It's Welsh every day for me which only leaves Hessenthaler and Clifton as your midfielders, which is the two I would have gone with anyway.

Presuming we stick with a variation on 4-5-1 that leaves a question mark over who starts up top and who starts on the right wing.  I don't like Vernam out wide, I think he's wasted and I don't think anyone we have is really great at playing up front alone, Cook probably the best of the options.

With all that in mind and even though I advocated Clifton in the middle a matter of sentences ago, I would be tempted to go with Clifton and Wright wide (yes, I know Clifton isn't a winger but who else do we have?) with Welsh and Hessenthaler in the middle, allowing Vernam to support Cook from deep.  

Probably look a bit like:

Davis Whitmore Collins Dixon
          Welsh Hessenthaler
Clifton       Vernam      Wright
                 Cook

I like.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Maringer
August 16, 2018, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Dhm's formation looks more like a 4-4-1-1 to me. Clifton and Wright would almost certainly be pushed back into wing positions leaving the 2 up top. If we don't win the midfield battle we'll offer nowt up front because Cook isn't capable of leading the line (though I'm sure he'll win a couple of free-kicks) and Vernam isn't likely to be able to play off him.

If we do have the better of midfield, the ball will have to stay on the ground or be put into the corners for players to run onto. Any time the ball goes forward in the air, we'll lose it.

A big gamble chucking in Wright at the deep end though his extra pace will be useful.

Unfortunately, that line-up just screams 'lightweight' to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team for Lincoln City.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.