Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Besides matter-of-fact Facebook ticket updates
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 312 Guests

Besides matter-of-fact Facebook ticket updates

This thread currently has 2,878 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
August 15, 2018, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,412
Gold Stars: 60
, GTFC's own website and some free advertising on the awful Telewag website (next to sensationalised stories of how thuggish our supporters apparently are), how have GTFC marketed the big local derby game to attract the floating fan?

Where exactly is the excitement and the enthusiasm in the communication to try and ensure we get a full house against our historic county rivals? The only (backhanded) inducement I can see to entice people to buy tickets early is the potentisl minor peril of having to sit on the first 2 rows of the Upper Findus and havimg the near touchline smudged by a red metal bar. If you're reading the GTFC site, you're already a fairly committed supporter and pretty likely to be going to the game anyway.

After 2 disappointing home games so far this season and especially considering the article this week that confirmed Town are in the top 5 in the football league for clubs who rely on matchday income, this continued (tacit, apathetic or simply lazy) strategy of 'whoever comes, comes',  is pretty fackin dire and has finally gotten right on my wick end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Croxton
August 15, 2018, 8:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
As an STH in the Upper Youngs I decided to view last nights  game from the Main to see what we miss up in the gallery.. What a contrast and how depressing. Apart from a momentary frisson of seeing Sir John Tondeur and Lord Buckley close up, I felt as if I was in the presence of an oppressive decaying timewarp. Poor views, ancient seating and no sign of ships. I understand why some are drawn by the history, intimacy etc. but too many ghosts for me. I remember watching Cockers lead us to promotion many years ago against Exeter with one of my lads from the same stand. Nearly 30? years ago and little has changed.
Small point , Under 18 squad sat behind me. Surely they could have watched from the Upper?. No offence intended to Mains Stand loyalists!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Croxton
August 15, 2018, 8:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Sorry folks. Posted on wrong thread. Should be Just Back of course.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Yoda
August 15, 2018, 10:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
Towns general PR is a joke and that is being polite.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
diehardmariner
August 16, 2018, 12:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,572
Gold Stars: 537
We do our PR on the pitch.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
diehardmariner
August 16, 2018, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,572
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Croxton
As an STH in the Upper Youngs I decided to view last nights  game from the Main to see what we miss up in the gallery.. What a contrast and how depressing. Apart from a momentary frisson of seeing Sir John Tondeur and Lord Buckley close up, I felt as if I was in the presence of an oppressive decaying timewarp. Poor views, ancient seating and no sign of ships. I understand why some are drawn by the history, intimacy etc. but too many ghosts for me. I remember watching Cockers lead us to promotion many years ago against Exeter with one of my lads from the same stand. Nearly 30? years ago and little has changed.
Small point , Under 18 squad sat behind me. Surely they could have watched from the Upper?. No offence intended to Mains Stand loyalists!

As a Main Stand loyalist, I find the view from the Upper quite depressing.  It feels almost corporate in comparison to the rest of the ground.  No doubt the comparatively high elevation doesn't help but it feels distant from everything that's going on in the game.  Don't get me the wrong the views are far superior but in the Main you sort of forget the posts are there.

I guess you viewing form the Main Stand last night when the atmosphere around the whole ground was glum is similar to when I've watched from the Upper, usually pre-season games or when we were in the early rounds of the FA Trophy.  Both will no doubt impact on the experience.  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
mariner91
August 16, 2018, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,626
Gold Stars: 260
The upper gives you the best view of the whole match and when it gets going, it's actually pretty loud. Those days are few and far between now though sadly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
pizzzza
August 16, 2018, 2:27pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner

As a Main Stand loyalist, I find the view from the Upper quite depressing.  It feels almost corporate in comparison to the rest of the ground.  No doubt the comparatively high elevation doesn't help but it feels distant from everything that's going on in the game.  Don't get me the wrong the views are far superior but in the Main you sort of forget the posts are there.

Sit in the Lower like me and get the best of both worlds, close to the action and no posts.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
marinerdazza
August 16, 2018, 4:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
I returned to the main stand last year for the first time since 1986.

I was surprised at how much I liked it in there. Warmer too. Just.

It comes to us all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Gaffer58
August 16, 2018, 6:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from marinerdazza
I returned to the main stand last year for the first time since 1986.

I was surprised at how much I liked it in there. Warmer too. Just.

It comes to us all.

Completely agree about it being warmer, I don't need to take my flask when I'm in the main.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Besides matter-of-fact Facebook ticket updates

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.