7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
headingly_mariner
August 14, 2018, 10:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
There was plenty of effort from the Town players and we weren’t too bad in the first half hour.
It’s hugely disappointing to not see us test the keeper. We just look like we are missing 4 or 5 players and in the end 2-0 probably flattered us as they were wasteful. We just didn’t look very good in both boxes.

The crowd was horrendous and £21 is joke.

Logged Offline
Private Message
barralad
August 14, 2018, 10:56pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
I don't know if it was the lack of crowd/atmosphere but the game had the feel of a pre-season friendly. Both teams played it around...a lot... but Rochdale had the edge in their use of the final ball. Both goals were examples of decent finishing.
Town played some good stuff throughout but lacked any real incisiveness. Midfield worked hard but in truth we have no-one playing at the moment there who looks capable of playing the fabled "killer ball".
I thought Vernam and Hessenthaler were excellent. Macca couldn"t have done anything about either goal and apart from a couple of saves with his feet didn't have a lot else to do.
Great to see Wright and Akeem Rose get some minutes.
We will have to do even more on Saturday I'm afraid.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
MuddyWaters
August 14, 2018, 11:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Our squad, in terms of numbers, is possibly 10 less than last year, possibly has more quality in certain areas but we know where last season ended. Another major injury will seriously put us behind - at present, it's not good enough or strong enough.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
promotion plaice
August 14, 2018, 11:13pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from headingly_mariner
There was plenty of effort from the Town players and we weren’t too bad in the first half hour.
It’s hugely disappointing to not see us test the keeper. We just look like we are missing 4 or 5 players and in the end 2-0 probably flattered us as they were wasteful. We just didn’t look very good in both boxes.

I feel more confident about this season now     

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2018, 11:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
We were well beaten by a Rochdale team who looked a full division ahead of us in the pyramid.

Football has come on so much in recent years it means that teams like Rochdale can move the ball effortlessly from front to back very quickly with the ball on the floor. We are trying to do a similar thing, but I guess it will take time.

Our problem is obviously going to be creating and scoring goals; Hooper is too casual, Cook tries hard but has an impossible task up there without a big target man, and in any event chances created are at a premium.

Its very early days, and the quality of the opposition in the two home games have surprised me I have to say, as you would not associate FGR and Rochdale with teams that played as well as they did.

We will just have to be patient I guess and hope that Jolley can get the striker and midfielder we need on loans.

One thing that was very apparent though is we need serious investment in every area of the club. If John Fenty would cut his ties to the club and let it breathe we might yet find a solution to the investment situation, as Mr. Fenty himself seems to have no idea how to generate it or provide it.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 65
NorthLondonMariner
August 14, 2018, 11:42pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
First game I have seen since Notts County at home last season. We defo held our own and played some nice football at times, But we lack any killer instinct in the last 3rd, also far to many unnecessary dodgy passes. We have the backbone of a good team, just need the icing on the cake.

Massively disappointed by the turn out, granted its a Tuesday night and we have a big game on Saturday, but that was embarrassing, I swear we have had bigger gates at pre season friendly's.

Anyway, onward and upwards. Bring on the gimps!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 65
billybigbollox
August 15, 2018, 12:04am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +10
I've not posted in a couple of yrs or so now. ...Dale were well worth the win tonight for sure.
Plus points for me we're Welsh and Hess I like alot, Cook and Charles will be good players for us and was good to see the two young lads get a few mins both showed pace which at any level kills defenders hopefully they can eventually push for league starts .

The not so good parts
The players seem to be finding the shape side of the formation hard MJ was having to constantly talk the players through were he wanted them to be etc!!!!
Hooper disappoints me everytime I see him he is rather lazy or not a clever player at all I've never seen him anticipate what might happen or try to dominate his marker he is a big strong lad with no power or hunger at all !!
Jolley will need time and a couple more transfer Windows to get us were he wants us !!!!
UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
Grimbiggs
August 15, 2018, 12:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Rochdale were just too good for us in most areas, the way they moved with pace, found space and closed us down when we did have the ball was very impressive. The fact they are a division higher really showed, and they would almost certainly be a promotion chasing side in our division, which just goes to show how far off we are from being the real deal. Welsh needs energetic players around him and Woolford just couldn't cope with Rochdale's midfield, with their no 27 being instrumental in creating attack after attack, and being my MOM. Hessenthaler and Vernam were the only players that could match them, and were our only threat, but whilst Hess created a couple of decent opportunities, as we are well aware we lacked that Fox in the box. I thought Collins got caught out a couple of times tonight, which ultimately cost us the second goal, and is starting to show his age, whilst Davis is no right back. It's going to be a tough season without a natural goalscorer, and Lincoln will certainly provide a stern test, but you never know...UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
NorthLondonMariner
August 15, 2018, 4:32am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from headingly_mariner

A discount would have been nice, but you have to take in to account that in the League and FA cups both the home and away teams get 45% of the gate receipts each and 10% goes in to the prize fund.  The away team would have to agree to tickets being sold at discount. For all we know town might have asked Rochdale if they could charge £15 and been told no.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
Cloudy
August 15, 2018, 6:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

A discount would have been nice, but you have to take in to account that in the League and FA cups both the home and away teams get 45% of the gate receipts each and 10% goes in to the prize fund.  The away team would have to agree to tickets being sold at discount. For all we know town might have asked Rochdale if they could charge £15 and been told no.

Would a 25or 50% reduction in price made much difference to the attendance?

I doubt it to be honest.

The win on Saturday was welcome, at present we may be better suited to playing away, but I think we lack real quality ( even for 4th Division standards) the primarily reason for that is budget..

No, I don't know what our budget is exactly, but talking to some within the club they know we are well behind so many clubs in spending power and I don't mean being outside the top 7 in budget levels.

Budget isn't everything, MJ has to work with the players he has to get as much out of them as possible but a promotion challenge was always pie in the sky IMO
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.