2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MARINERSMAN22
August 14, 2018, 9:20am
Wembley 2K15 Centre Box <3
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: -395
The surprise package for me so far has been Paul Dixon. I was expecting Fox to be the first choice, but Dixon has performed ok against FGR and very well against Mac.

Welsh was always going to be a good signing but he’s been instrumental to bringing balance. This is one of the best town midfields for the past 7 years. Hess is starting to play well too, he’s a buzzing presence in midfield. Rose has been playing well too (before being sent off).

Macca is one of the best keepers in the league.

Cook and Vernham are the quick nuisance strikers we’ve been sorely missing. If they can score consistently...

Hooper never ceases to amaze me compared to thenplayer for most of last season. He’s not hit the heights of the run in but is still a useful squad member.

Davis played well at RB. Collins redeemed himself on Saturday, and there’s a potential good relationship between him and Whitmore.

I’m not wearing rose tinted glasses as there are still gaps but we have the makings of a harmonious team.

Wembley2K15 Centre Box

Logged Offline
Private Message
August 14, 2018, 9:25am
Guest User
Paul Dixon played well against a poor Macclesfield side. But he was sub standard IMO against Forest Green and he has been sub standard ever since we signed him. I can't just forget all the performances he's put in after one game at Macc when we were in the ascendancy the majority of the game.

To be fair, against FGR the majority were awful, even at 1-0 up we hadn't played well. Maybe Dixon will benefit from a proper pre season this year as he joined us late as a free agent last pre season. Honestly, I don't think he has it in him anymore, he has played at a good level which bewilders me, he's only 32. Hope he proves me wrong. I'm pretty sure he can't play wing back.

John Welsh looks superb, his aggression, reading of the game and his quality stand out. Very fit bloke for 34 years of age.

James McKeown is a good solid keeper, capable of making top saves, commands his area better now, has a howler in him every now and again.

Cook and Vernham really excite me, both good technical players, Vernham in particular has a lot of potential.

Hooper, if we are to progress we need to improve on him IMO. Better out wide in a three IMO than central.

Davis, haven't seen enough of him yet. Collins will stand out, even at 38 on the ball. I don't blame him for that own goal, he was passing to the orange top, he couldn't seen our keeper, so passed to the steward via our net.
Reply: 1 - 10
Maringer
August 14, 2018, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I think Dixon is just too slow to be a good full-back, unfortunately, and is certainly too slow to be an effective wing-back, even if he's otherwise a competent enough footballer. I'd expect that he'll have the odd decent game, from time to time, but will struggle as often as not.

Any time he comes up against a bit of pace (such as FGR), he's inevitably going to drop back a few yards and not get close to the wingers to make it more difficult for them to get past him. I personally prefer to see wing-backs/full-backs pushed further forward, putting pressure on the wide players as soon as they get the ball. Not going to happen with Dixon in the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 10
arryarryarry
August 14, 2018, 10:21am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Dixon did ok going forward on Saturday but did tend to over hit his crosses. Defensively he is quite poor, got caught daydreaming a couple of times.

Against FGR he was just poor
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 10
Jarmo.Is.God
August 14, 2018, 10:26am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
You cant have a surprise package after 2 games mate.

Dixon had a great game against Macclesfield and i'm buzzing for him, and should rightly keep his place in the team based on that performance.

But 1 game doesn't all of a sudden make him a great player again.

Just like 1 bad game doesn't make anyone a bad player
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 10
Bigdog
August 14, 2018, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Even after the win on Saturday, I'm gonna have to say it. I've got some concerns about DC. Before the sending off we started to defend too deeply.. again. And having DC covering PD is a real weak point in my opinion. Far from him fully redeeming himself, a couple of eyecatching headed clearances apart, DC made several poor errors heading the ball straight to opposing players in and around the box. He was helped out by last ditch blocks by Whitmore, who in fact was the dominant centre half on Saturday. I hope Famewo gets a run when he's fully fit and I hope that MJ goes out and finds a dynamic left wing back or left back because PD is only going to be ever ok in that role. I'd just like to see us playing a game or two with a well drilled pacy back line without having to compromise our playing style due to lack of pace at the back. It's been a good long season or two already having to compromise without any benefits or results to show for it. We've got enough already to survive in this league and probably be a solid mid-table side, but what's the point in that? This is not a great league and it wouldn't take too much more to get into the play off hunt. And before everyone jumps on my back about DC.. watch the game again, then form a considered opinion..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 10
chaos33
August 14, 2018, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
For me, regarding Dixon, the surprise is that he's been selected twice.

I think he showed, last season, that he's decent on a good day but not really good enough for a side that wants to play with wing backs and challenge the better teams.

I thought Fox was a bit better than him last year, but a position where we're crying out for another good player to add to the few we have.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 10
diehardmariner
August 14, 2018, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Bigdog
Even after the win on Saturday, I'm gonna have to say it. I've got some concerns about DC. Before the sending off we started to defend too deeply.. again. And having DC covering PD is a real weak point in my opinion. Far from him fully redeeming himself, a couple of eyecatching headed clearances apart, DC made several poor errors heading the ball straight to opposing players in and around the box. He was helped out by last ditch blocks by Whitmore, who in fact was the dominant centre half on Saturday. I hope Famewo gets a run when he's fully fit and I hope that MJ goes out and finds a dynamic left wing back or left back because PD is only going to be ever ok in that role. I'd just like to see us playing a game or two with a well drilled pacy back line without having to compromise our playing style due to lack of pace at the back. It's been a good long season or two already having to compromise without any benefits or results to show for it. We've got enough already to survive in this league and probably be a solid mid-table side, but what's the point in that? This is not a great league and it wouldn't take too much more to get into the play off hunt. And before everyone jumps on my back about DC.. watch the game again, then form a considered opinion..

I wasn't there so can't comment on individual performances.  But a left side that combines Collins, Dixon and then Woolford (understand he was more on the right on Saturday) has to be a concern in terms of how exposed they would be by pace.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 10
Bigdog
August 14, 2018, 1:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from diehardmariner

I wasn't there so can't comment on individual performances.  But a left side that combines Collins, Dixon and then Woolford (understand he was more on the right on Saturday) has to be a concern in terms of how exposed they would be by pace.

Yeah, it was Hooper in front of Dixon which is just as bad if not worse. Apart from one or two nice touches and tackles, Hooper was completely ineffective. Can't get my head around how he gets picked ahead of Vernam in any position and in any formation..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 10
arryarryarry
August 14, 2018, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog

Yeah, it was Hooper in front of Dixon which is just as bad if not worse. Apart from one or two nice touches and tackles, Hooper was completely ineffective. Can't get my had around how he gets picked ahead of Vernam in any position and in any formation..

Have to agree about Hooper, he started ok but the longer the game went on he started to look disinterested.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 10
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Surprise

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.