2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerDevil
August 14, 2018, 7:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
There's an interesting report which has been published by the BBC this morning.

The main purpose of the research is to demonstrate how much top clubs now rely on TV revenue.  Half of Premier League clubs could have turned a pre-tax profit last season even without any matchday income.  The most reliant clubs included (percentage of total income in brackets) Bournemouth (91%), Watford (88.4%), Burnley (86.6%) and West Brom (86.1%).

Most interesting for us, though, is the teams who are most reliant on matchday income as a percentage of annual turnover:

[img]https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/147FF/production/_102776938_ticket_income_v3.png[/img]

The report doesn't take into account directors'/owners' loans or funding.  Also, only 66 clubs provided data for the survey.

It's interesting to see how much ticket sales contribute to our total income compared to the rest of the Football League.

Full story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888
Logged Offline
Private Message
Father Christmas
August 14, 2018, 7:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
Forest green?

How much is stale mince flogging his sweet tatties for?

Heather mills left leg and a excrement load of falafel
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
diehardmariner
August 14, 2018, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
145% of turnover goes on wages at Scunny.  They are nearing a massive crash!

Interesting that we're so high in the ticket money as a proportion of turnover table.  Could look at it that we're fortunate to have such a strong fan base for our level or that we're missing a massive trick in not capitalising on other revenue streams.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
golfer
August 14, 2018, 9:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115
It looks like our finances are being handled prudently. We are in safe hands.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Maringer
August 14, 2018, 9:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I think the tale, basically, is that there isn't much in the way of sponsorship money coming in. Not a surprise as the town isn't exactly booming and hasn't been for decades. It's also no surprise that McMenemy's isn't going to make massive amounts of money for the club either. You can understand why Fenty is looking enviously at the clubs with new stadia who can no doubt charge businesses an arm and a leg for conference facilities.

The claim that FGR get a third of their turnover from their fans is absolutely laughable. Unless Vince somehow keeps his big bucks 'investments' out of the general turnover figures though I can't see how that could be possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
MarinerDevil
August 14, 2018, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,737
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Maringer
The claim that FGR get a third of their turnover from their fans is absolutely laughable. Unless Vince somehow keeps his big bucks 'investments' out of the general turnover figures though I can't see how that could be possible.

The report doesn't count directors' funding.  It is only a measure of 'organic' wealth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
August 14, 2018, 9:52am
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner
145% of turnover goes on wages at Scunny.  They are nearing a massive crash!

Interesting that we're so high in the ticket money as a proportion of turnover table.  Could look at it that we're fortunate to have such a strong fan base for our level or that we're missing a massive trick in not capitalising on other revenue streams.

Thought the same re income streams. Then again, JF has been saying for years how BP is not sustainable, we need to move to generate those income streams that a 7 day a week venue would.
Reply: 6 - 13
GrimRob
August 14, 2018, 9:54am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I am not surprised we don't get much TV income. When was the last time we were on TV? The League 2 televised coverage is pathetic, even League 1 is not shown much. If Sky isn't willing to show games I think L1/L2 should have their own TV deal. I am sure there would be TV companies willing to show more FL games outside the Championship. The BT coverage of the Vanarama League is very good so I am sure there is room for more above it in the hierarchy.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 13
Abdul19
August 14, 2018, 10:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
How much TV money do we get? I wouldn't be surprised if never being on tv in league 2 is more profitable than being on tv 8 times a season in the National League.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
TownSNAFU5
August 14, 2018, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
I thought that the veggies could survive without any income from fans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BBC research into clubs' turnover

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.