Mighty_Mariner
August 14, 2018, 8:54am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Nathan Jones described him at Luton as 'the best footballer at the club'

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
golfer
August 14, 2018, 9:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
A good player in the RIGHT position and the RIGHT service
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Maringer
August 14, 2018, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think the term 'target man' can cover a number of bases.

If you're thinking about a big lump up top to punt the ball towards endlessly, then it's not ideal if you want to see a bit more passing and movement.

However, this is no doubt that a good big 'un will tend to do better than a good little 'un, especially at this level where the referees let all sorts of manhandling go on. I think we definitely need, if not a 'target man', somebody with a bit more of a physical presence who can hold off some of the massive meathead defenders you get at this level as well as challenging for aerial balls when required. I'm thinking more of a Lumpaldinho sort of a player than the archetypal meaty centre forward who uses his head and his elbows more than his feet.

Hooper is a reasonable size but doesn't seem to have the nouse to use his body well enough against big defenders, though he did very well playing up against the line at the end of last season - probably because most full-backs aren't big enough to dominate him aerially or physically.

I think it would be very helpful to have somebody who can provide a bit more physicality, whether through strength on the ball or an LJL-alike who is quick and will challenge for everything and run his bits off as well as linking up play a bit.

I think we've got some skilful footballers in Cook and Vernam, but it might need a big 'un to help create the space and opportunities for them to show these skills.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
golfer
August 14, 2018, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Maringer
I think the term 'target man' can cover a number of bases.

I think it would be very helpful to have somebody who can provide a bit more physicality, whether through strength on the ball or an LJL-alike who is quick and will challenge for everything and run his bits off as well as linking up play a bit.

I think we've got some skilful footballers in Cook and Vernam, but it might need a big 'un to help create the space and opportunities for them to show these skills.

BRING HIM BACK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Garth
August 14, 2018, 10:05am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
For all his faults the shop was an absolute battering ram of a player and would suit our style to a tee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Garth
August 14, 2018, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Oh and before the red crosses, I'm not suggesting that we get him back, that bridge has been crossed, just thinking he did not warrant the stick he got here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
Mariner_09
August 14, 2018, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
He scored on Saturday anyway.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Mighty_Mariner
August 14, 2018, 11:06am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I'd have the shop back in a shot.... As Garth said I think he's tailor made for the system we're playing!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Maringer
August 14, 2018, 12:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I'd have the Shop back if he was the same player that he was when he left. Not sure he's been the same since his injury at Newport - 27 starts in 3 years ain't much, even if he seems to have come on as a sub almost every game last season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jordan Cook

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.