KingstonMariner
August 11, 2018, 10:48am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not any more. The Ks were at Leatherhead last season and I think they're moving in with Corinthian Casuals at Tolworth this season.

What flipping muppet red-crossed this?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
rancido
August 11, 2018, 11:41am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from pkscouse
Its rumbling over old stuff I know but I still think a ground somewhere near where the multi storey flats were has to be the best bet - regeneration for Freemo , great road link back to the A180 , trains for away fans at either New Clee or Grimsby Docks ………...surely a no brainer  

Both these stations are not used by the Transpennine service and I'm not sure that the Lincoln train stops there either. There is no way any of the franchises that control these services would alter their timetables to schedule a stop just for the possible use on 23 occasions a year. This would be especially the case when some of those occasions would be to cater for evening games which change date every year …… and that is a no-brainer as well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
rancido
August 11, 2018, 11:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I've mentioned this before but surely the area of the old titans site has to be on the radar, its within the keeping of our ground being on the banks of the humber, the ground that other teams hate to coming to as the weather closes in due to that bloody artic wind that rips down the river and freezes you to the core...plus it's a site that will always be synonymous with the town, shame they tore down the chimney!!

As I understand it all the land adjacent to the Humber Bank can only be used for industrial purposes. Anyway that land is now going to be used for car storage and Industrial Units will be built there as well.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
barralad
August 11, 2018, 11:10pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Both these stations are not used by the Transpennine service and I'm not sure that the Lincoln train stops there either. There is no way any of the franchises that control these services would alter their timetables to schedule a stop just for the possible use on 23 occasions a year. This would be especially the case when some of those occasions would be to cater for evening games which change date every year …… and that is a no-brainer as well.

Apart from the last one at night the Lincoln trains terminate on Platform 3 at Grimsby Town.
However, personally I cannot see why TPE wouldn't accommodate a stop at either New Clee or Grimsby Docks. In the "old days" British Transport Police used to request that trains carrying away fans made a stop at New Clee.
I have to say though that having experienced first hand the absolute shite-storm that our railway system made of getting a few fans from Macclesfield to Grimsby today the difficulty may well be trying to persuade fans to let the train take the strain...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
Rob_in_Grimsby
August 11, 2018, 11:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Brazilnut
Team up with Clee town to use their ground for training and sell /use Cheapside for housing

Slight problem with this as the club Rent Cheapside on a long lease but don't actually own the place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
marinerdazza
August 11, 2018, 11:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,848
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from barralad

In the "old days" British Transport Police used to request that trains carrying away fans made a stop at New Clee.

This was always great fun for those of us who got the train to and from Barnetby. I remember an unscheduled stop at New Clee to let on a load of seriously drunk off Rotherham fans after the 2nd round FA cup defeat at BP in 88/89. How we laughed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
moosey_club
August 12, 2018, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralad

Apart from the last one at night the Lincoln trains terminate on Platform 3 at Grimsby Town.
However, personally I cannot see why TPE wouldn't accommodate a stop at either New Clee or Grimsby Docks. In the "old days" British Transport Police used to request that trains carrying away fans made a stop at New Clee.
I have to say though that having experienced first hand the absolute shite-storm that our railway system made of getting a few fans from Macclesfield to Grimsby today the difficulty may well be trying to persuade fans to let the train take the strain...

my first football away day on a train in years and i wont be rushing back on that experience...overcrowded by Doncaster...as the vast majority of the seats were reserved at some point of the journey TPE must have known they were at or close to capacity, also with ticket prices being as they are even if you dont reserve a seat i would imagine a high percentage book a ticket in advance so they must know the train will be overcrowded.

But they did nicely announce they were sorry people had to stand up but "its the school holidays and the football season kicks off" ... Oh sorry TPE, it kicked off last week for a start and isnt that just another opportunity for you to plan ahead isnt it ?!?!?

Train was late into Stockport so missed the connection to Macc...slight wait there.

Coming back home, arrived at the first change at Stockport ...Cleethopes train cancelled !!

The eventual train back to Clee came...overcrowded...all three toilets pretty much out of action by/from Sheffield.....

in all ...overcrowded, hot, late, cancelled, out of service loo's and not cheap either at over 50 quid ....and (although TPE cant be held responsible for this one) hearing the sometimes embarrassing comments from groups of our supporters along the way aimed largely at non white passengers.

The scenery, the chance to have a beer on the move and the odd chat with other passengers the only real benefits which didnt outweigh the above.  

Back to the car in the future  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
realist
August 12, 2018, 2:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
I have the misfortune to be a regular user of TPE. and overcrowded, late and cancellations are the norm. Booking is essential. If you were delayed remember to use the delay repay scheme
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
ginnywings
August 12, 2018, 3:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

my first football away day on a train in years and i wont be rushing back on that experience...overcrowded by Doncaster...as the vast majority of the seats were reserved at some point of the journey TPE must have known they were at or close to capacity, also with ticket prices being as they are even if you dont reserve a seat i would imagine a high percentage book a ticket in advance so they must know the train will be overcrowded.

But they did nicely announce they were sorry people had to stand up but "its the school holidays and the football season kicks off" ... Oh sorry TPE, it kicked off last week for a start and isnt that just another opportunity for you to plan ahead isnt it ?!?!?

Train was late into Stockport so missed the connection to Macc...slight wait there.

Coming back home, arrived at the first change at Stockport ...Cleethopes train cancelled !!

The eventual train back to Clee came...overcrowded...all three toilets pretty much out of action by/from Sheffield.....

in all ...overcrowded, hot, late, cancelled, out of service loo's and not cheap either at over 50 quid ....and (although TPE cant be held responsible for this one) hearing the sometimes embarrassing comments from groups of our supporters along the way aimed largely at non white passengers.

The scenery, the chance to have a beer on the move and the odd chat with other passengers the only real benefits which didnt outweigh the above.  

Back to the car in the future  

You've got a Delorean?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
KingstonMariner
August 12, 2018, 3:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

You've got a Delorean?

It does sound a bit like a pitch for a film that didn't quite make it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Extreme leisure

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.