lukeo
August 10, 2018, 8:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,294
Gold Stars: 134
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Now the dust has settled over a quiet deadline day I got to thinking, is the problem trying to sell the location rather than the club??
For us that are born n bred in and around Grimsby we know just what's around, the beautiful lincolnshire wolds, miles of golden coastline, lovely villages ect, but to someone who does not know anything all he sees and reads about is Grimsby, a town in decline, at the end of the country's worst road. Kills me to think like this but I have to wonder, because we can't offer the carrot of a decent wage or a perceived nice play to live, how will attract a better class of player, my heart sinks at the thought of not only the demise of my beloved GTFC but more so, the demise of my beloved home town of Grimsby

Slightly off subject but on it. I do agree there are some amazing places around. Just been to Grimsby with my 5 year old lad for 5 days (coming back Wednesday!) and we had such a good time. We did Clee, skeggy, Clee swimming pool and Weelsby Woods. Some amazing places... BUT, on the other side (off subject a little) I'm so upset and annoyed at what has become of the place I used to play football EVERY NIGHT with my friends. Willows Park, the park itself is a state (kids fault not council) But the 1 thing that has hit a nerve with me is the state of the grass (or should i say forrest now) we played for hours on end on the grass next to the park now kids can't go near it with it's over grown bushes, nettles and god knows what.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
August 10, 2018, 10:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from RichMariner
I was born in Cleethorpes and left when I was 21 to go to uni in Huddersfield (and I've been living in Leeds ever since).

I attended an open day at Bangor university in North Wales and liked the place. But when I also saw an equally nice campus at Huddersfield I decided on Yorkshire because, well, Bangor was out on a limb and Huddersfield was within half an hour of several major cities (and that meant a better social life - gigs, nightlife, etc - and job prospects).

Of all the people I went to school with who left to go to uni, precisely none of them have returned.

I absolutely adore Grimsby and Cleethorpes. I love the football club and I love that I can return to see my parents - still living in the house that I grew up in. My grandparents used to live down Manchester Street - also where my dad grew up.

I have a job in Leeds that just doesn't exist in North East Lincolnshire. There are nice things from back home that I miss, but that's because of the emotional connection I have with a childhood spent there. It's almost impossible to view our home town(s) objectively.

I must admit, that drive along the A180 past the refineries, food factories and decrepit docks isn't doing us any favours. I see those things and feel all warm inside because it means I'm almost 'home', but if I saw the same things on my approach to Wigan, for argument's sake, I'd feel very different about it.

Footballers' careers are short. For what we're able to pay them, they'd have to consider uprooting from places they call home - even if they don't live in Leeds, for example, they can have a career in Sheffield, or Manchester, and still feel close enough. Grimsby, on the other hand, just feels that bit further and that bit unknown - and it's not like we have anything to offer that other cities in the north don't have (although our beach is decent).

It's vital we look after our youth team and develop local talent because fewer players will relocate. If we were still in the Championship and had money to play with, I'm sure that would sweeten the deal, but when Carl Magnay left I remember him saying something about petrol money.

Seems trivial in the grand scheme of things, but that's the level we operate at now. As much as I (and we) love Grimsby, we're only going to become less attractive to players. As hard as that is to hear/read.

Who the heck would want to live in Leeds, footballer or no footballer? Grimsby is no more or less attractive to any footballer if the money is right. Who would want to live in Rochdale, or Rotherham or Fleetwood or Bury or Blackburn or Hull or Scunthorpe or Accrington or Burnley or wherever?

Attractive places like York or Chester has done them no good at all as it? It is just an urban myth about Grimsby. The reason some players give it a miss is we have been shocking for 17 years or so, we don't pay high enough wages to get the really sought after players and we are seen as a struggling league 2 club.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
KingstonMariner
August 10, 2018, 11:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Erm, Townsend, Nolan, Toto, Mendonca.oh, lest not forget Bogle, Francis who both are now at premier league clubs...unfortunately monkeyboy the times we now live in are those where to get young blood isn't about the house it's about what living here offers them, which to the outsider us a shitehole that stinks of fish, you and I know that's wrong but it's how the outside world perceives Grimsby

Mendonca! He left 21 years ago. Are you the bloke who used to turn up in the Lower on Boxing Day in the 80s and say 'how's Tees doing?'  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
mariner91
August 11, 2018, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260

Who the heck would want to live in Leeds, footballer or no footballer? Grimsby is no more or less attractive to any footballer if the money is right. Who would want to live in Rochdale, or Rotherham or Fleetwood or Bury or Blackburn or Hull or Scunthorpe or Accrington or Burnley or wherever?

Attractive places like York or Chester has done them no good at all as it? It is just an urban myth about Grimsby. The reason some players give it a miss is we have been shocking for 17 years or so, we don't pay high enough wages to get the really sought after players and we are seen as a struggling league 2 club.

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to live in Fleetwood or Burnley or Blackburn if you play for the club but you're within a very easy commute from Manchester or Liverpool if you fancy living in a larger urban area with more going on. Which for most blokes in their 20's, is what they're after. The point about York and Chester doing badly is moot because it's not a hard and fast rule that nice/more desirable places to live will automatically be successful, the clubs still need to be run well but they have a geographical advantage in attracting players if everything else is equal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
lew chaterleys lover
August 11, 2018, 2:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from mariner91

I think you're missing the point. You don't have to live in Fleetwood or Burnley or Blackburn if you play for the club but you're within a very easy commute from Manchester or Liverpool if you fancy living in a larger urban area with more going on. Which for most blokes in their 20's, is what they're after. The point about York and Chester doing badly is moot because it's not a hard and fast rule that nice/more desirable places to live will automatically be successful, the clubs still need to be run well but they have a geographical advantage in attracting players if everything else is equal.

No I am not missing the point. I would think that most pro players spend relatively little time in the town they play for. It is just a job for them, and the commute is part and parcel of that.

If they are based in and around Grimsby they can go to Sheffield or Hull or wherever if they want a "lot going on."

They train all week where they play, but any leisure time they do have I imagine will be spent with friends and family in other parts of the country. Pay enough money, and any obstacles about playing here will disappear. Obviously doing as poorly as we have for nearly two decades will severely restrict the pool of players we might get, but that is another debate.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempting to sell the location not the club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.