4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
petethemariner
August 10, 2018, 12:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think that the most frustrating thing about the total non movement on the new ground is that it also has the added spin off of BP having zero investment in it,falling further into disrepair and becoming more and more of an embarrassment.
I know I am in the minority of this, but I think the time has come to abandon the 'pie in the sky'  stadium that is unlikely to be built anyway and explore ways of replacing the main and Osmond stands with single  tier unobstructed stands with the option to extend into the corners.
I know many will cite needing 7 day a week income streams, but exactly how many clubs have this?
Not a high percentage j suspect.
Just doing nothing, which seems to be the present situation, is not an option for much longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
petethemariner
August 10, 2018, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
I think that the most frustrating thing about the total non movement on the new ground is that it also has the added spin off of BP having zero investment in it,falling further into disrepair and becoming more and more of an embarrassment.
I know I am in the minority of this, but I think the time has come to abandon the 'pie in the sky'  stadium that is unlikely to be built anyway and explore ways of replacing the main and Osmond stands with single  tier unobstructed stands with the option to extend into the corners.
I know many will cite needing 7 day a week income streams, but exactly how many clubs have this?
Not a high percentage j suspect.
Just doing nothing, which seems to be the present situation, is not an option for much longer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
LH
August 10, 2018, 12:42pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Your average lad in his twenties isn’t arsed about areas of outstanding natual beauty, village pubs and “golden” coastline.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
GYinScuntland
August 10, 2018, 12:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from LH
Your average lad in his twenties isn’t arsed about areas of outstanding natual beauty, village pubs and “golden” coastline.

There's some cracking totty around Meggies on a weekend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
RichMariner
August 10, 2018, 1:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
I was born in Cleethorpes and left when I was 21 to go to uni in Huddersfield (and I've been living in Leeds ever since).

I attended an open day at Bangor university in North Wales and liked the place. But when I also saw an equally nice campus at Huddersfield I decided on Yorkshire because, well, Bangor was out on a limb and Huddersfield was within half an hour of several major cities (and that meant a better social life - gigs, nightlife, etc - and job prospects).

Of all the people I went to school with who left to go to uni, precisely none of them have returned.

I absolutely adore Grimsby and Cleethorpes. I love the football club and I love that I can return to see my parents - still living in the house that I grew up in. My grandparents used to live down Manchester Street - also where my dad grew up.

I have a job in Leeds that just doesn't exist in North East Lincolnshire. There are nice things from back home that I miss, but that's because of the emotional connection I have with a childhood spent there. It's almost impossible to view our home town(s) objectively.

I must admit, that drive along the A180 past the refineries, food factories and decrepit docks isn't doing us any favours. I see those things and feel all warm inside because it means I'm almost 'home', but if I saw the same things on my approach to Wigan, for argument's sake, I'd feel very different about it.

Footballers' careers are short. For what we're able to pay them, they'd have to consider uprooting from places they call home - even if they don't live in Leeds, for example, they can have a career in Sheffield, or Manchester, and still feel close enough. Grimsby, on the other hand, just feels that bit further and that bit unknown - and it's not like we have anything to offer that other cities in the north don't have (although our beach is decent).

It's vital we look after our youth team and develop local talent because fewer players will relocate. If we were still in the Championship and had money to play with, I'm sure that would sweeten the deal, but when Carl Magnay left I remember him saying something about petrol money.

Seems trivial in the grand scheme of things, but that's the level we operate at now. As much as I (and we) love Grimsby, we're only going to become less attractive to players. As hard as that is to hear/read.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
grimsby pete
August 10, 2018, 1:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
This has been said before but needs saying again,

The best times we have had are the years in the top flight mainly with local lads,

The next best time we had was in the now championship mainly with local lads,

So if we want to compete at a higher level we have to grow our own.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
Ipswin
August 10, 2018, 2:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from LH

The attraction to footballers coming to GTFC from outside the area has faded since the demise of the Bags Ball

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
monkeyboy
August 10, 2018, 5:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Dose club house players and families? if they did it may be easier to say this house comes in with your job. that way they dont have to spend money to relocate and when they sod off to better things we reuse the housing.
Trouble is look at the quality we have attracted in recent decades theres very few that have gone on to better things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Northbank Mariner
August 10, 2018, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from monkeyboy
Dose club house players and families? if they did it may be easier to say this house comes in with your job. that way they dont have to spend money to relocate and when they sod off to better things we reuse the housing.
Trouble is look at the quality we have attracted in recent decades theres very few that have gone on to better things.

Erm, Townsend, Nolan, Toto, Mendonca.oh, lest not forget Bogle, Francis who both are now at premier league clubs...unfortunately monkeyboy the times we now live in are those where to get young blood isn't about the house it's about what living here offers them, which to the outsider us a shitehole that stinks of fish, you and I know that's wrong but it's how the outside world perceives Grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Northbank Mariner
August 10, 2018, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from monkeyboy

Erm, Townsend, Nolan, Toto, Mendonca.oh, lest not forget Bogle, Francis who both are now at premier league clubs...unfortunately monkeyboy the times we now live in are those where to get young blood isn't about the house it's about what living here offers them, which to the outsider us a shitehole that stinks of fish, you and I know that's wrong but it's how the outside world perceives Grimsby
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attempting to sell the location not the club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.