4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Corkyefes
August 8, 2018, 8:55pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
After the game on Saturday, I didn't lose all my positivity, but I was severely deflated walking out of BP.

Lets forget about the two goals, one of which was just a pure error and the other one from RHJ came after our heads had gone.

The thing that worried me is that we was completely played off the park and we resulted to nothing but the long ball game.

Jolley seemed to 'blame' the players for not playing to his game plan, however we played the long ball game in both the first and second half.... why didn't Jolley rip into them at half time if this was the case? ... That slightly worried me.

I'm not keen on this 3-5-2 formation, or should I say, I'm not keen on it with the players we have got.

I feel as though Jolley is playing this formation just to accommodate Welsh playing in the deeper role, which is understandable as I don't think he is mobile enough to play in a 4-4-2.
However with these players its not working. It didn't in pre season and it didn't in this first game.

No offence to Clifton because I think he can be a good player in the future, but in my opinion, he cannot play in that position. Unfortunatley he was ripped a new one by Reid on Saturday

I'm very worried about our left hand side aswell. Dixon isn't good enough, Woolford isn't good enough (albeit playing more centre ish) and Fox in pre season looked absolutely shocking (is he bothered now he has secured a contract). RJH would be ok on the left hand side, however he is really a right footed player.... We would be putting square pegs in round holes already.

The one thing I am worried about is who and how we are going to score goals?
In all honesty, we could have Harry Kane up front, but if we don't create the chances, we wont score goals.

We had 1 shot on target at the weekend and that was the penalty (I know the website say three, any proper football fan knew they wasn't shots).
For me that's frightening.

Hooper is not the answer and in all honesty I was disappointed that he never moved on in the summer.
Lets not think that the lad has suddenly become a world beater because he scored a hatrick in a non important game at the end of last season.

Thing is, I think Jolley knows this aswell, that's why he has gone for Bowman and Angol.
I'm worried that we haven't been successful in any of our targets. Is this out of Jolleys hands? Very probable.

I'm hoping for a left sided player and a striker to sign before the deadline tomorrow, however will they be panic buys. Probably.

I'm worried for Jolley. This is the first time he has had some negativity mentioned against him. Rightly or wrongly.

The thing I am seriously worried about, is there is a possibility that we may not pick up any points in the first five games. Not looking forward to coming on here if that happens.

All the above is just my opinion. I would love to be proven wrong.

Private Message
hheh2
August 8, 2018, 9:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Lets wait and see what happens.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
ginnywings
August 8, 2018, 9:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
That's a lot of worry after 1 game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
August 8, 2018, 9:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from Corkyefes
After the game on Saturday, I didn't lose all my positivity, but I was severely deflated walking out of BP.

Lets forget about the two goals, one of which was just a pure error and the other one from RHJ came after our heads had gone.

The thing that worried me is that we was completely played off the park and we resulted to nothing but the long ball game.

Jolley seemed to 'blame' the players for not playing to his game plan, however we played the long ball game in both the first and second half.... why didn't Jolley rip into them at half time if this was the case? ... That slightly worried me.

I'm not keen on this 3-5-2 formation, or should I say, I'm not keen on it with the players we have got.

I feel as though Jolley is playing this formation just to accommodate Welsh playing in the deeper role, which is understandable as I don't think he is mobile enough to play in a 4-4-2.
However with these players its not working. It didn't in pre season and it didn't in this first game.

No offence to Clifton because I think he can be a good player in the future, but in my opinion, he cannot play in that position. Unfortunatley he was ripped a new one by Reid on Saturday

I'm very worried about our left hand side aswell. Dixon isn't good enough, Woolford isn't good enough (albeit playing more centre ish) and Fox in pre season looked absolutely shocking (is he bothered now he has secured a contract). RJH would be ok on the left hand side, however he is really a right footed player.... We would be putting square pegs in round holes already.

In all honesty, we could have Harry Kane up front, but if we don't create the chances, we wont score goals.

We had 1 shot on target at the weekend and that was the penalty (I know the website say three, any proper football fan knew they wasn't shots).

Hooper is not the answer and in all honesty I was disappointed that he never moved on in the summer.
Lets not think that the lad has suddenly become a world beater because he scored a hatrick in a non important game at the end of last season.

Thing is, I think Jolley knows this aswell, that's why he has gone for Bowman and Angol.
I'm worried that we haven't been successful in any of our targets. Is this out of Jolleys hands? Very probable.

I'm hoping for a left sided player and a striker to sign before the deadline tomorrow, however will they be panic buys. Probably.

I'm worried for Jolley. This is the first time he has had some negativity mentioned against him. Rightly or wrongly.

The thing I am seriously worried about, is there is a possibility that we may not pick up any points in the first five games. Not looking forward to coming on here if that happens.

I wouldn't worry quite as much as that. I have seen us play brilliantly in the first game of the season and win it comfortably and then...get relegated.

Conversely I have seen us lose the first game and get promoted. I think the truth is that FGR were very good, and we didn't seem able to combat it. Perhaps give them more praise and us less stick? It was a wake up call, nothing more.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
Corkyefes
August 8, 2018, 9:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
No I understand, I haven't lost all positivity, I was just slight worried after Saturday of how easily we was played off the park and how easily we rolled over.

Hopefully Jolley can rectify it quickly.

I'm probably just panicking and if we got a result on Saturday I would feel completely different.

I haven't been inspired by the signings if I'm brutally honest.

We currently have 6 strikers on the books and non are proven.
That position and the left hand side is a major worry for me.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
jamesgtfc
August 8, 2018, 9:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Corkyefes
No I understand, I haven't lost all positivity, I was just slight worried after Saturday of how easily we was played off the park and how easily we rolled over.

Hopefully Jolley can rectify it quickly.

I'm probably just panicking and if we got a result on Saturday I would feel completely different.

I haven't been inspired by the signings if I'm brutally honest.

We currently have 6 strikers on the books and non are proven.
That position and the left hand side is a major worry for me.

I think Fox needs a run of games to find his feet but he is dependable and has decent delivery. I personally think we should adopt a 4-1-3-2 with the full backs pushing on whilst Welsh sits deep. As one full back pushes on, one of the midfield 3 (or Welsh) can cover.

We need at least 1 striker to work the channels and pull defences whilst the midfielders push on, making late runs into the box.

I'm not worried but if we put in a performance like that again, I will be very worried.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
Skrill
August 8, 2018, 9:51pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +6 / -6
Approval: +604
Patience my fishy friend.

[tweet]316134373063806976[/tweet]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
Stew0_0
August 8, 2018, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Kill me now. Town have lost a game!!!

Let the lords strike down upon thee with great vengeance and ferious anger and lets loath the very people that turned the clubs fortunes around with promotion form towards the end of the last term.

This bunch are clearly no hopers with no passion or prospects or care for the club.......

But wait they all facking live here. All on more than 1 year deals, theyve bought into the fact that town have passionate, football loving, supportive supporters. Maybe so but a majority on the fishy (arguably some non-town supporting Gremlins) want to destroy everything after 1 single defeat!!

Lets hope to god that any players read this site as they might as well panick and request a move to solihull.

Lets face it. I dont think town fans ARE the best in the league. We expect the unrealistic and when they dont get it any player is a victim on a matchday, even for 1 bad pass. Wonder why Angol thought that town was not a good choice for him.

Think that because of our remote status, unforgiving supporters, rotting stadium and unfashionable (being polite) town status we are struggling to attract players here. Personally i think that Jolley has recruited well and the players will turn out to be good signings.

Not sure what my drunken post is trying to lead to but why cant we just support the club we love. Back the people who represent us and are clearly trying to achieve something here. Jolley is the man, the guy with the brains and drive like Dyche at Burnley to say we are better tham the level we are used to. If we all pull in one positive direction the skies that limit, Buckley's babes proved it in the championship.
Lets back this club with everything and we can be a formidible force. We have the passion, if used in the right way can produce success.

We are town not just the 11 on the pitch but all Grimbarians and Meggies crammed into BP and into away ends each season.

Forget Saturday and lets do this!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
mirrorballman
August 8, 2018, 10:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Corkyefes

Worry, worry, worry. Man up to intercourse, will you. That goes for all of you crying about formations and wing-backs and signings that haven't been made and any other balderdash. One game and we have all this bealing. Write it off and move on. It should be easy, it's second nature if you've been a Town fan for longer than ten minutes. If we're the same mess after 15 games, we'll sit down and have a worry together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
MuddyWaters
August 8, 2018, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Stew0_0
Kill me now. Town have lost a game!!!

Let the lords strike down upon thee with great vengeance and ferious anger and lets loath the very people that turned the clubs fortunes around with promotion form towards the end of the last term.

This bunch are clearly no hopers with no passion or prospects or care for the club.......

But wait they all facking live here. All on more than 1 year deals, theyve bought into the fact that town have passionate, football loving, supportive supporters. Maybe so but a majority on the fishy (arguably some non-town supporting Gremlins) want to destroy everything after 1 single defeat!!

Lets hope to god that any players read this site as they might as well panick and request a move to solihull.

Lets face it. I dont think town fans ARE the best in the league. We expect the unrealistic and when they dont get it any player is a victim on a matchday, even for 1 bad pass. Wonder why Angol thought that town was not a good choice for him.

Think that because of our remote status, unforgiving supporters, rotting stadium and unfashionable (being polite) town status we are struggling to attract players here. Personally i think that Jolley has recruited well and the players will turn out to be good signings.

Not sure what my drunken post is trying to lead to but why cant we just support the club we love. Back the people who represent us and are clearly trying to achieve something here. Jolley is the man, the guy with the brains and drive like Dyche at Burnley to say we are better tham the level we are used to. If we all pull in one positive direction the skies that limit, Buckley's babes proved it in the championship.
Lets back this club with everything and we can be a formidible force. We have the passion, if used in the right way can produce success.

We are town not just the 11 on the pitch but all Grimbarians and Meggies crammed into BP and into away ends each season.

Forget Saturday and lets do this!!!!

We do. But we want it to be better and while we are run in the way we are, we can't compete. And it gets frustrating.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
cardiffmariner
August 8, 2018, 10:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings
That's a lot of worry after 1 game.

Which is another reason to be worried.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
Northbank Mariner
August 8, 2018, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We do. But we want it to be better and while we are run in the way we are, we can't compete. And it gets frustrating.

Want all you like but until a fairy god mother  comes by wafting her magic wand over BP and depositing a large amount of surplus cash along with a new board then I'm afraid we have what we have...so you can moan, whinge and  bleat about how the current regime has a stranglehold over the club with no hope of moving forward on to bigger and better times or, like the majority of us, stick a sock in it, swallow our hate for the regime and be there to support this fantastic club....because your moaning ain't gonna change f@ck all...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Grim74
August 8, 2018, 10:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
Hey Corky how do you've sleep at night FFS
Ask your mam to leave you out some of her  antidepressants before Saturday night just in case.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
marinerdazza
August 8, 2018, 10:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
TL;DR
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Corkyefes
August 8, 2018, 11:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
This is the problem with this forum...

You can post on here and you’re not allowed an opinion.
People can have opinions, even after one game.

I’ve played at a very decent level, I’ve spoken to people who are associated with the club who have played at a very high level and some of them echo my concerns about the players who we’ve brought in and the lack of creativity!

Just because somebody feels I’m incorrect, then why not give me a reason why, instead of just saying “fuc*ing hell, morning after one game”....

I stated I haven’t lost all my positivity yet.
I stated I hope Jolley learns and turns it around.

But yes, I’m still worried about the next 5 games and yes I’m still worried that we haven’t got a striker.

There’s no real conversations on here anymore, which means I’m out... Last post I’ll put on this forum.

UTM!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
promotion plaice
August 8, 2018, 11:31pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Corkyefes

I’ve played at a very decent level, I’ve spoken to people who are associated with the club who have played at a very high level and some of them echo my concerns about the players who we’ve brought in and the lack of creativity!

Just because somebody feels I’m incorrect, then why not give me a reason why, instead of just saying “fuc*ing hell, morning after one game”....

But yes, I’m still worried about the next 5 games and yes I’m still worried that we haven’t got a striker.

There’s no real conversations on here anymore, which means I’m out... Last post I’ll put on this forum.

UTM!

Don't blame you......you're not allowed to smell the coffee on here and air your concerns by the happy clappers.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 8, 2018, 11:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Thing is you are talking about turning it round after one league game! If your worry comes fact and we lose our first four games then he may have something to turn but not after one defeat.

It sounds like Talksport who try and make a story from nothing just to get punters phoning in.

I would say after Saturday the issue most of us question is the formation and whether we have the players that compliment that style, first impressions is no but time will tell.

Creativity may be. An issue but let’s see the side with Hessentauler and Vernam in the starting line up from the start. You don’t rate Hooper I do, and said so on here before his finish to the se a son as I think he is a good footballer and hope he returns to that wider role so we see him in his best position.

All sides have performances in the season when they are crap but the importance placed on this has been intensified by the fact it was the first game of the season and fans hoped the wagon that finished last season would just keep rolling at the start of this, it didn’t but I personally think it will get much better but maybe not until the leaves are falling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
ginnywings
August 8, 2018, 11:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Corkyefes

UTM!

'Kin 'ell. You are allowed an opinion, you just posted it, but don't expect everyone to agree with it. You have concerns, and so do most of us, but one game is not enough time to assess whether those concerns are genuine or not. Give it a while and see where we are when we have eased into the season. We started ok last year, and look how that went.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
1mickylyons
August 9, 2018, 7:16am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I am more deflated and worried by our fans.I think FGR had 6 attempts on goal and scored 4 courtesy of our ineptitude I just don't see that happening again?

Regarding MJ I think we have a good manager BUT he is very inexperienced I accept that means he will make mistakes along the way.He must learn to accept earache from the terraces all Manager`s get it at some point and 1-4 at home will normally be a start

I expect a far better performance Saturday then a Lincs Derby against the future Champs League Winners then MKD who again will be up there and we could have had a very bad start?

Get to the 10 game mark things will look very different I have every confidence that around Xmas we will be proper motoring along after a slow start.Keep the faith folks were going to do alright.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Jarmo.Is.God
August 9, 2018, 8:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
We didn't play very well at all
We made some stupid mistakes
We made the game harder for ourselves after fortunatley going in 1-0 up

However, one thing i will say, which hasn't been mentioned much is that FGR will be in the top half, and might even make the play-offs
They have good players, and played a very good game and deservedly hammered us.

That doesn't paint over the fact we was rubbish, but they will not be near the bottom 2 thats for sure
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
MarinerMal
August 9, 2018, 8:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Corkyefes

UTM!

The OP had many valid concerns that many of us would have had after the game. However, it was only the first game.

If we win our next game, we jump to mid table and everything looks much rosier. It is much too early to start forming any firm opinions on the team, individual players or the management team yet.

Look at Exeter the season before last, they were struggling near the foot of the table as we approached Christmas but went on to take 5th and a play-off place. That was without changing their manager either.

I'm not saying we will do the same but just to highlight it is too early to be making any kind of judgements after one game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
Grantley
August 9, 2018, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from promotion plaice

Don't blame you......you're not allowed to smell the coffee on here and air your concerns by the happy clappers.

Do you not see the irony in this?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
diehardmariner
August 9, 2018, 9:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,066
Gold Stars: 518
I had a prior engagement on Saturday so missed the game, which in hindsight probably wasn't the worst thing in the world.

But on paper alone it's difficult to not feel a bit deflated.  The first two pre-season games I saw against Clee Town and Sunderland were flat, I didn't really see where the goals were coming from or how we fitted into this system that Jolley has opted for.   At that point though you have to trust what he's doing and respect that he's working with them day-in-day-out.   The final pre-season game I saw against Doncaster was a vast improvement.   However, Donny were dreadful and despite scoring a very nice goal, we created very little.   I was encouraged by the reports from the Gainsborough game that we played some attractive stuff and threatened much more.

The worry for me is that we've gone all in on this 3-5-2 without really having the right people to play it.  Hall-Johnson can play that role and his energy to get up and down isn't a problem.  I don't think he's quite there in terms of his final delivery which is a key part for a wingback.  Clifton, who I thought looked good in that role in pre-season, by all accounts had a 'mare on Saturday and I think we need to question the benefit for his development if he's shunted out there long-term.  He did a job, a very good job, for us last season on the right wing because of his energy and desire.  Wingback is a specialist position and I don't think it's one you can shunt someone into.   On the left hand side I don't think Dixon has the legs to get up and down, nor is he strong enough to dominate the side on his own.  Fox, much like Hall-Johnson, is a good attacking full-back.  That doesn't automatically make him a wingback.  The other concern with the system is that if we have Collins as the left sided centre back, Woolford as the left sided midfield in a 3 and Fox/Dixon down the flank, we've a serious lack of pace and energy and in my opinion makes us vulnerable.  As an opposition manager it's an area I would be focusing on.

To revert back to a more traditional system, which I'm in no way advocating at this stage, would require us having some wingers.  Which we really don't have any at all.  At best it would be a case of Clifton and Hooper again, but that would have to fit in with a 4-5-1/4-3-3 system - without Cardwell I don't think we have anyone who can work the line up top on his own either.  That also represents a lack of goals in the side (although I think it will eventually come good for Cardwell).

Generally speaking I'm less concerned with the striking position.  In Vernam and Cook I think we've got two guys who are more than capable of chipping in with 10-15 goals but more importantly providing the bullets for others.  I don't think we need someone guaranteed to bag 20+, I think we need someone who's going to lead the line, hold up the ball and bring others into play from the front.  I don't want to bang on about old players but in a similar fashion to how Amond did.

I think the wingback system can work for us, I like the thinking behind it as it represents so many opportunities to overload areas but if you get it wrong it can also see yourself overloaded.   A midfield three of Welsh, Rose and Woolford doesn't offer enough for me.  Yeah it's got energy but it's not got enough of a mixture in there.  Our wingbacks need greater encouragement to push forward and pin sides back, to do that they need freedom to do so.  I'm more or less thinking out loud here but something like a 3-2-4-1 is something that I think would suit us better with our players.  Something like a back 3 which picks itself, Welsh and perhaps Hessenthaler offering the protection and energy.  Hall-Johnson and maybe Fox at wingback. Cook and Vernam in advanced midfield roles and then the lone striker.  For me our strength is in our midfield areas (for once!), we need to utilise that.

What's absolutely crucial is that we don't panic, we need at least 10 games under our belts before we really know where we're going.  Look at Plymouth last season, they looked dead and buried by mid-October.  

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
Bigdog
August 9, 2018, 10:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
The sooner our fan base can come to some kind of common agreement of..

1 Backing the players and MJ to the hilt. Even though Saturday was a shocker, it's only the first game of MJ's first full season and the transfer windows haven't shut yet.

2 Keeping pressure on the boardroom to deliver so much more than they've delivered in the past 17 years

.. the better for everyone.

Although on field and off field events are inextricably linked, frustration regarding the state of our club shouldn't be transposed onto MJ and the player's shoulders, and likewise, any progress on the pitch shouldn't cloud fans' opinions about the state of the football club as a whole.

We should be intelligent enough to realise that there's two very different issues that deserve very different emotions. I respect both viewpoints. I respect the fans that believe that on field events are all that counts and I respect the fans that have a more macro view of the club.

Let's not tear each other to shreds and start showing differing points of view with a little more respect and honest healthy debate, because as far as I can see, everyone wants the best for the football club, but are just approaching it in different ways. A building of a common consensus could be very healthy and bond our fan base.

Can't we all just unite in wanting the best for our team, getting behind MJ and seeing where this season takes us, because it's nowhere near a given that it's going to be a struggle even after Saturday's horror show, and continue to put pressure on the board to deliver a progressive football club that's worthy of being in the 21st century and able to attract players from the likes of Mansfield..

Deflated and slightly worried?

Deflated about the performance on Saturday? Yes.

Slightly worried? No, it's only one game and I trust MJ to make this season a positive one..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
chaos33
August 9, 2018, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Diehard's post is a really good assessment.
I'm thinking along similar lines, but think we might look better with 4-3-1-2 formation.
I'm not sure about Whitmore, so I'd have Collins and Davis and RHJ and Fox. Welsh sitting, plus Hess and Rose in Midfield and Cook in behind Vernham and (reluctantly) Hooper. I'd want Hooper to attack from wide positions.

Ideally we will still get players in as I think that a fair proportion of that team is merely 'decent' and we could do with two or three more who are 'good/very good', but lots of us have been saying this for a while.

I like what I've seen of Welsh (great signing I think) and also of Cook who looks to have great energy, some bite and some skill. I think he'll have a good season for us and he and Vernham linking up will cause teams problems.  A few additions and formation tweaks and we could soon be a side that competes well.

Last Saturday's starting 11 contained 7 non-Jolley signings. Surprising I thought. We still have one or two playing for us that really shouldn't be IMO. However, in evolving his own team and systems then Jolley is in phase one. Expectations should be in line with that, whilst taking nothing away from the fact that last week's performance level was way below the mark, and, whatever team plays on Saturday at Macc will need to raise that standard significantly.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
chaos33
August 9, 2018, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
If not 'deflated and slightly worried' then certainly 'a bit disappointed' is how I'm feeling about no squad strengthening before the deadline. I suspect I'm not alone.

Hope we can improve and get some loans in. Not ideal but on we go....

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Gaffer58
August 9, 2018, 5:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Could we probably be able to compete in the transfer market with a bit more financial backing?, and here I am not asking Mr Fenty to increase his benign loan. Are any of the other board members financially wealthy to loan the club X amount. There again maybe Mr Fenty would not allow this for whatever reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
MuddyWaters
August 9, 2018, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
I'm pleased we haven't made any signings for the sake of it but our squad is small and seemingly limited without any wide attacking threat and no out and out goalscorers. Underwhelmed  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
chaos33
August 9, 2018, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yup. Sums it up well.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
Mariner93er
August 9, 2018, 5:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,674
Gold Stars: 28
I feel deflated in my attitude towards football in general. When Ayr can put a £250,000 price tag on a striker you have to question what chance we'd  ever have at signing a proven goal scorer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
Meza
August 9, 2018, 6:20pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,633
Gold Stars: 50
there are plenty of clubs in the lower leagues that have strikers that have scored lots of goals that im sure can be purchased for under 100k, not sure if we have ever been in for these type of strikers or whether MJ prefers league players.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
Northbank Mariner
August 9, 2018, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from Meza
there are plenty of clubs in the lower leagues that have strikers that have scored lots of goals that im sure can be purchased for under 100k, not sure if we have ever been in for these type of strikers or whether MJ prefers league players.

Meza, I've said we have one in the building....did Max Wright not bang ashed load in for Scarborough last season??....think that answers your question....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
Abdul19
August 9, 2018, 6:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
He's a winger isn't he?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
Meza
August 9, 2018, 6:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
He's a winger isn't he?

Yeah plays Right Wing

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
Grantley
August 9, 2018, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
For all these ‘proven goal scorers’ in the lower leagues, there’s a lot of them that haven’t been signed by L2 clubs. I wonder why?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Meza
August 9, 2018, 6:48pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Grantley
For all these ‘proven goal scorers’ in the lower leagues, there’s a lot of them that haven’t been signed by L2 clubs. I wonder why?

Maybe because they prefer proven league players rather than a risk...who knows.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Deflated and Slightly Worried

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.