Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any whispers?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 68 Guests

Any whispers?

This thread currently has 4,620 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 9, 2018, 8:02am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,107
Gold Stars: 548
What is a wingback? Sounds like some kind of shoe.

Is a wingback a fullback who can get forward, or a winger who can get back and defend? I think RHJ looks like he can play there on the right, and Fox looked pretty good at the end of last season. Are we really desperate for players in those positions? I keep hearing that Clifton isn't a wing back, but he is if that's the role he's been given to do, so maybe he just had a bad day at the office and he was certainly up against a very good player, the best on the pitch for me. It's funny how most have already decided that Dixon and Clifton are no good in those positions after one bad game. When the team plays as badly as they did as a collective, everyone gets pulled out of shape and no-one looks very good.

I'd rather we waited and got the right signings, than push ahead and just sign squad fillers because the window is shutting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
Abdul19
August 9, 2018, 9:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Yes, I remember the telegraph running a story that we'd bid 100k for on-loan Accrington striker Michael Symes but his parent club had turned it down, or he'd turned us down or something.... Isn't that the window we ended up signing Tommy Wright from Aberdeen?

Yeah, seem to remember we bid that for Brodie too but York turned it down. As well as Wright we ended up with Lee Peacock, who smashed in 5 goals in 18 months!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
Maringer
August 9, 2018, 9:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
To be fair to Peacock, he also had entertaining hair and tattoos so that was enough for him to become an instant cult hero.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Croxton
August 9, 2018, 9:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
No panic buys certainly. If necessary, play 442 until loanees or free agents arrive. In Hessenthaler and Vernam we have some creativity and keep Hooper left side. RHJ, Famewo and Davis can all play FB. Do not sign a target man only. Play it on the deck and we will keep heads above water.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
quebec38
August 9, 2018, 9:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,575
Gold Stars: 48
Well for me a wing back is someone with super athleticism for a start. Able to be up in the final third when we have the ball and back in position when we don’t. It’s basically the job of two players and nothing against Clifton but he’s just not that guy and I think it’s harsh of Jolley expecting him to be. If FGR had played the same system as us then things maybe could have been different on the weekend but they doubled up on the flank with a marauding full back and a very experienced Reuben Reid so he had no chance. Harry didn’t know whether he was coming or going and that’s down to not knowing the position or having the attributes to play there IMO. What he is good at is what he did so well at the back end of last season with someone behind him ie RHJ.
Absolutely baffled by Jolley’s decisions on the weekend, personnel more than the system but for me both were wrong. Not a problem though making mistakes as long as you learn from them and I’m sure he will. IJWT!
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
Jarmo.Is.God
August 9, 2018, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
if the 'deadline' was this time last week, none of us would be bothered if we didn't sign anyone.

lets remember that 1 game doesn't make the team rubbish all of a sudden.

Remember when Man Utd beat Arsenal 8-2 early on in the 11-12 season? they still finished 3rd...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
sam gy
August 9, 2018, 9:58am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
We don't need flipping whispers, or to hang on the word of what some frustrated 15 year old on Twitter posing as an 'ex football agent' says. It's all quite frankly, a bit sad. A by product of the social media era where everyone needs entertaining constantly.

Just hang on. We might sign someone you've never heard of before (as they're lower league players), or we might not sign someone you've never heard of before.

Either way we'll be getting behind the 11 players on the pitch.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any whispers?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.