Mighty_Mariner
August 9, 2018, 7:34pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Mikey_345
Some great logic in this thread and on Twitter today. “Sign anyone, I don’t care who, just sign someone and chuck some money down the drain”

It’s quite refreshing MJ isn’t prepared to just punt for someone because the windows closing - we all know that’s worked out brilliantly for us in the past........ If we have a few quid to spend (which reports suggest) it makes sense to not waste it and potentially wait until January to get the right player.

In the meantime I have great faith we will get a couple of decent players in on loan over the next few weeks.

Some of us just need to calm down a little, take a step back and take a look at things.

I'm frustrated we couldn't take 1 or 2 additions but I would have only wanted signings that Jolley thought would wouod improve us... The point you make is a fantastic one.

Clearly Jolley had identified Bowman and Angol as players he thought could fit into how he wanted us to play, we couldn't get those deals over the line (as others we probably missed out on that we don't know about) and MJ/AL have decided to refrain from signing players just to add bodies to the squad and either utilise the loan market or wait until January.

A very sensible and refreshing approach! Any signing is a risk but even more so with players the management team aren't 100% confident with.

If the players that they think will strengthen us and make us better aren't available yet then we should absolutely save that bit of the budget until they/others of equal quality are and go with what we've got until then.

As many have said before, what MJ managed to get out of THAT squad of players in the last 10 games of last season was nothing short of miraculous and I have every faith that 5-10 games into the season we'll see a very different Town to what we witnessed on Saturday.

It may take a few game for players to gain confidence in their positions, the system, understand exactly what is expected of them... Pre season friendlies just cannot give you that and are nothing more that fitness exercises.

History is littered with teams that start the season terribly and go into have successful campaigns. Anybody remember the Norwich side that lost their first game in L1 in 2009 7-1 to Colchester, didn't win until their 4th game and only win 2 in their first 10, they followed that up with winning the league comfortably with a club record 95 points!

More recently on the flip slide, the season we got promoted, Forest Green won their first 9 games and yet were still not promoted.

League very rarely start to take shape ungil 12-15 games in

In Jolley I trust!

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 142
MuddyWaters
August 9, 2018, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I'm frustrated we couldn't take 1 or 2 additions but I would have only wanted signings that Jolley thought would wouod improve us... The point you make is a fantastic one.

Clearly Jolley had identified Bowman and Angol as players he thought could fit into how he wanted us to play, we couldn't get those deals over the line (as others we probably missed out on that we don't know about) and MJ/AL have decided to refrain from signing players just to add bodies to the squad and either utilise the loan market or wait until January.

A very sensible and refreshing approach! Any signing is a risk but even more so with players the management team aren't 100% confident with.

If the players that they think will strengthen us and make us better aren't available yet then we should absolutely save that bit of the budget until they/others of equal quality are and go with what we've got until then.

As many have said before, what MJ managed to get out of THAT squad of players in the last 10 games of last season was nothing short of miraculous and I have every faith that 5-10 games into the season we'll see a very different Town to what we witnessed on Saturday.

It may take a few game for players to gain confidence in their positions, the system, understand exactly what is expected of them... Pre season friendlies just cannot give you that and are nothing more that fitness exercises.

History is littered with teams that start the season terribly and go into have successful campaigns. Anybody remember the Norwich side that lost their first game in L1 in 2009 7-1 to Colchester, didn't win until their 4th game and only win 2 in their first 10, they followed that up with winning the league comfortably with a club record 95 points!

More recently on the flip slide, the season we got promoted, Forest Green won their first 9 games and yet were still not promoted.

League very rarely start to take shape ungil 12-15 games in

In Jolley I trust!

#UTM

Well in Jolley I sort of trust - got to say that I look at our squad and wonder how we are going to win many games before January unless he pulls a few rabbits out of the hat in terms of free agents & loans. We have no proven goalscorer, no proper wing-backs/wingers (excluding Max Wright, who has proven himself at 4 levels lower) and no cover for John Welsh. We've got a plethora of strikers but, with the possible exception of Hooper, none really pose a real threat in the opposition box.

Up to pre-season, I thought our recruitment looked OK but since then it has been seriously underwhelming.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 142
headingly_mariner
August 9, 2018, 8:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Need to do well in the loan market now. Disappointing end to a disappointing window.

I know people are saying it’s not a big deal to not sign anyone, but they’ve obviously been flat out trying to sign people and have fell short. We need some good loan players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 142
friskneymariner
August 9, 2018, 8:05pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from sam gy

You’re talking absolute shite.

Last Hurst season we had Bogle and Jackson.

Do you think that comment is acceptable,no wonder this board is becoming a joke with ignorant people like you on it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 142
ginnywings
August 9, 2018, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I'm just glad that someone has come in and not signed a shedload of players who are all much of a muchness. We've had some massive squads in the past few years, well into the 30's numbers wise, and most of them just sit in the stands draining the budget. This time, the squad needs to be built slowly and methodically, only signing players that are a clear improvement on what we have. We are clearly trying to entice a goalscorer, judging on the two bids we know of. Just have to keep plugging away until the right one/s come along and want to sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 142
friskneymariner
August 9, 2018, 8:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from sam gy

You’re talking absolute shite.

Last Hurst season we had Bogle and Jackson.

You want to remember who gave you his season ticket so you could get Braintree tickets

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 142
Tommy
August 9, 2018, 8:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Seems to be people judging the whole transfer window in what's happened (or not) today. Just because we haven't signed a striker today doesn't mean we haven't signed one.

We've signed a few actually. And going off one game I personally don't know how many any of them are capable of scoring in a season.

How many teams actually have a 20-goal striker anyway? Maybe 3/4 in a division. So it's not worth massive strops that we haven't got someone who'll bang 20+ goals in, as 20 other teams will be in the same boat.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 142
Mikey_345
August 9, 2018, 8:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from jonnyboy82
God sake , what is it with the lord saviours of michael jolley all ready to immediately jump on anyone who dare says they are dissapointed that we didnt bring at least a couple of decent permanent signings in today ?

We have an unbalanced squad right now without the players needed to play michaels preferred formation of 352 , it showed saturday by playing clifton and dixon as wing backs and cook as a striker.

Just because some are dissapointed doesnt mean they are having a go , im sure he has tried but its natural to be left feeling a bit underwhelmed.

Im sick to death of anyone who likes to stick there neck out to have a pop at anyone who says they are a bit dissapointed in this transfer window , that man has the same right to an opinion as you and your not anymore of a town fan by making out  they are all doom and gloom .

So wind your neck in accept some disagree and have a nice evening.

Nothing to do with being “the lord saviour” of Jolley. Merely pointing out some of the hysteria I’ve seen today based purely on the fact we’ve not signed anyone permenantly today.  

As much as you say they are entitled to their opinion, I agree, but in the same vein so am I and others who disagree with them as equally as they do me.

To be honest, I’m also disappointed we haven’t been able to get someone decent through the door today, but that doesn’t mean I think we are bound for relegation and the windows been a total failure, because it hasnt and we aren’t.

Pointing out that I’d rather we didn’t go and get someone for the sake of it I thought would be quite a sensible thing despite any disappointment we haven’t been able to get anyone. That we still have weeks to get loans/unattached players is a simple fact.

Let’s not forget where we started from eh? A team which almost lost us our league status.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 142
friskneymariner
August 9, 2018, 9:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

Nothing to do with being “the lord saviour” of Jolley. Merely pointing out some of the hysteria I’ve seen today based purely on the fact we’ve not signed anyone permenantly today.  

As much as you say they are entitled to their opinion, I agree, but in the same vein so am I and others who disagree with them as equally as they do me.

To be honest, I’m also disappointed we haven’t been able to get someone decent through the door today, but that doesn’t mean I think we are bound for relegation and the windows been a total failure, because it hasnt and we aren’t.

Pointing out that I’d rather we didn’t go and get someone for the sake of it I thought would be quite a sensible thing despite any disappointment we haven’t been able to get anyone. That we still have weeks to get loans/unattached players is a simple fact.

Let’s not forget where we started from eh? A team which almost lost us our league status.

The thing it is not just today he has had 3 months and the Dembele  money to identify and sign a forward.I have had every confidence in Michael Jolley from day one ,but think that this is a failing that I hope doesn't come back to bite us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 142
15 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our Transfer Deadline Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.