VinnyGTFC
August 8, 2018, 4:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Ipswin
If we are in the unusual postion of actually having money to spend Jolley needs to get on the phone to Newport and make an offer for Podge NOW

Likes it at BP (no one else seems at all keen on it)
We like him
Proven goalscorer
Unfinished business at GTFC as he was stupidly allowed to leave before he could play for Town in the football league
Opinion is we don't want a big target man up front so how about a stocky goal sniffer

Alternatively unlike yourself he perhaps has a bank of knowledge that doesn't just stop at ex Town players. This does get bloody boring.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 142
Gainsbro_Mariner
August 8, 2018, 5:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I feel for MJ but then a goalscorer would’ve always been the biggest priority over the summer. I feel we’ve had a positive recruitment in the most part but then we’ve added three forwards who haven’t got a history of scoring goals (Vernam, Robles & Cook) and that leaves us with six forwards on the book, none of whom are proven goalscorers, different types of forwards but none of whom are prolific.

We attracted a better calibre of forward when we were in the Conference. Alan Connell, Liam Hearn, Andy Cook, Anthony Elding, Padraig Amond and Omar Bogle. All of them bar Connell were proven goalscorers prior to arriving at BP and largely did well. Since we’ve been back in the League we seemed to have signed and loaned a selection of forwards who maybe do everything else other than score regularly.

It’s no doubt MJ feels the need to add a goalscorer hence the Bowman and Angol bids buy I can’t help but feel this summer will be judged a success only if in the next 24 hours we are able to add a couple of decent signings to the ranks.

It would be very easy to go out and panic buy right now, and the last thing we want to do is go and spunk the Dembele money on someone who is only going to be more of what we already have. It’s ok going for a Callum Dyson type of player but you run the risk when loaning Premier League youngsters, so many go out on loan but yet so few have prolific spells.

As for Koiki? It’s gotta be dead in the water? He hasn’t been with us for 5/6 weeks, and only played against a Clee. With MJ’s Burnley and Sean Dyche connection you’d have thought if that was going to happen it would’ve been done a few weeks ago. One thing I do know though is that if MJ wants to play his 352 formation then he has to be confident that he has the players to do that ? He can’t just chuck in players like Paul Dixon and expect him to be effective when he’s both past his best and playing in a more advanced role to what he’s used too.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 142
Bigdog
August 8, 2018, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
To be fair to MJ, I can't see him signing a journeyman player out of desperation..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 142
Ipswin
August 8, 2018, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

Alternatively unlike yourself he perhaps has a bank of knowledge that doesn't just stop at ex Town players. This does get bloody boring.

I merely suggested Amond on the basis that

a He should never have been allowed to leave and

b he's a damn sight better striker and more likely to get 15 goals this season than the dossers Jolley is likely to attract. Robles for a start, the opposition must be really shitting themselves

I suggest his 'bank of knowledge' is going bust fast, deadline day approaches and I sense a couple of panic buys and money wasted (again)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 142
Ipswin
August 8, 2018, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from realist
I can see us panicked into buying some total dross. In MJ I dont trust.

It's going that way fast.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 142
August 8, 2018, 6:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

It's going that way fast.

Unbelievable!!

Reply: 15 - 142
August 8, 2018, 6:34pm
Guest User
Not sure why the Mass Panic after 1 defeat!!!

We will be fine! How can all that positivity disappear after just one game!! I’m sure he will have something up his sleeve.
Reply: 16 - 142
MuddyWaters
August 8, 2018, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from 1542
Not sure why the Mass Panic after 1 defeat!!!

We will be fine! How can all that positivity disappear after just one game!! I’m sure he will have something up his sleeve.

Is it mass panic or is it that we've seen it all before? For whatever reason, the board of GTFC have been very quiet whilst 'The Jolley Revolution' has been used to generate ST sales - except on Saturday it seemed like nothing has changed at all other than we didn't have any squad members sat in the stands.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 142
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 8, 2018, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Bizarre ipswin as I've just been chatting to a mate from Ipswich (season ticket holder) and he said there's rumours of two of their younger lads going out on loan, namely gabenga fomali and Ben Morris are being linked with long term loans to 2 unnamed clubs to make way for a couple of permanent signings

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 142
Grim74
August 8, 2018, 8:43pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Gold Stars: 1
I would now go all in whatever they have got available to get Amond, he never wanted to leave the fans didn’t want him to go, he’s a proven goal scorer in a excrement team at this level and he probably was the difference in keeping Newport up, If we were to bring him in tomorrow I’m sure he would buzzing his confidence would rocket and we’d be a shoo-in for a top half finish.

If we don’t bring anyone in of Amond’s calibre and we go down to one of the relegation favourites Macclesfield on Saturday then it’s all over as far as I’m concerned, we will be odds on to go down and rightly so, I know it’s early in the season but we have to get this right now.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 142
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our Transfer Deadline Day

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.