6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
drbell
August 6, 2018, 2:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
oldun
August 6, 2018, 2:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
MJ has said he wants another "window" to complete this year's squad, so we have to go along with the long game and deal with the highs and lows along the way. Sat was a low by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
scott_gtfc_89
August 6, 2018, 2:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
I don’t know how people can moan, MJ didn’t get us going to the last 5 games of the season last season and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for MJ being here at the back end of last season we would be a non league team today.

We have got quite a new team, there going to need time to gel, yes Saturdays performance was unforgivable but let’s give the team time.

Rome wasn’t built over night.

Hopefully a proven goal scorer in before the window shuts and a couple of additions at WB.

We can’t base the season off one game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
denni266
August 6, 2018, 2:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +695
Gold Stars: 132
dont think any one is calling for his head on a block. just everyone could see that that was totally the wrong team, and set up to send out , and as he will soon learn .fans will let him know what we think good or bad.. But i do think  the gray goalkeepers kit needs binning today. Totally stupid and i am sure collins thought the steward was macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
August 6, 2018, 3:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from denni266
dont think any one is calling for his head on a block. just everyone could see that that was totally the wrong team, and set up to send out , and as he will soon learn .fans will let him know what we think good or bad.. But i do think  the gray goalkeepers kit needs binning today. Totally stupid and i am sure collins thought the steward was macca.

Why would he think that the steward was macca when he had been passing the ball back to him throughout the match with no problems.  Surely he knows the difference between orange and grey?  From what I saw of the highlights, it didn't look like collins was looking in the direction of the goal when he passed it back!

Reply: 4 - 53
marinerrick
August 6, 2018, 3:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I honestly think that me and many of us and maybe the team too took too much for granted over Fgr. They will have come to us wanting revenge for last game of last season and also that day at Wembley. They have spent a great amount over summer as many others have said due to vince ploughing money in. Sat was bad but I think that this season will be productive especially when proven goal scorer is brought in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
louth_in_the_south
August 6, 2018, 3:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,643
Gold Stars: 94
One thing we can all be sure about is that MJ will have taken Saturdays result badly . It’s clear that he’s a bloke who’s got a lot of ambition and won’t accept shi.te unlike some of previous managers and will be doing everything to get it right . One game doesn’t mean fook all , it was just the shock of the second half performance that’s surprised everyone.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
arryarryarry
August 6, 2018, 3:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from scott_gtfc_89
I don’t know how people can moan, MJ didn’t get us going to the last 5 games of the season last season and I honestly believe if it wasn’t for MJ being here at the back end of last season we would be a non league team today.

We have got quite a new team, there going to need time to gel, yes Saturdays performance was unforgivable but let’s give the team time.

Rome wasn’t built over night.

Hopefully a proven goal scorer in before the window shuts and a couple of additions at WB.

We can’t base the season off one game.

FFS

FGR seemed to have gelled OK.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
Garth
August 6, 2018, 4:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I don't think I and many others took FGR for granted, we just expected to see a competitive game win or lose, what made me feel embarrassed hurt and basically ashamed was the spectacle that was served up, forty years of supporting Town and I've never seen so many people leave so early, I doubt a bomb scare would have been so effective. Its gone now and it's history, but the players and management somehow need to pay back the large support with a display that will ease some of the shock and hurt, over to you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
August 6, 2018, 4:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,646
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from drbell
As an exile I did not witness what was clearly a performance so far from acceptable that most people seem genuinely shocked. However, no matter how bad that was, we surely need to give MJ a good deal of support.

As both his supporters and critics point out, he is an inexperienced manager. He will make mistakes. Clearly some have been made, which resulted in Saturdays performance. We simply do not yet know whether he is going to turn out to be a great, good, average or poor manager. Realistically we probably won't know for at least 5 years. Even if he turns out to be a great manager, he will still make a lot of mistakes over the next few weeks, months and years. Can anyone out there say that they don't look back on their early days in new roles and see lots of mistakes?

Personally, I am thrilled that we appointed someone with a high level of qualifications, who is clearly intelligent enough to consider many key aspects of what makes a successful side, and has a level of charisma which has endeared him to (most) fans and new signings alike.

Many (most?) voices on here were indeed echoing we need to give him time, with this years minimum target perhaps being consolidation in midtable. However, there seems to be some almost impossible requirement that despite finishing say mid table, we will win lots of games, play well in nearly all games, create lots of chances and score lots of goals, show we are usually better than the opposition, etc. It just doesn't work like that. If we finish midtable, we will look like world betters in a few games, look truly horrendous in others, and often be somewhere in the middle. If we are to achieve success, it will likely be a slow process as the bell curve of performances very slowly moves towards the positive.

I wish we could just all agree to get behind the manager, staff and the players this season, offering genuine 100% positive support for a period of time. This would give the whole team the time to learn from mistakes and improve, as well as making the crowd a genuine advantage in the bad games, as well as the good.

He will be judged on results. On the face of it he seems our best hope of salvation for quite some time, but then again some of us thought that about Newell and Slade, but he will be judged like any manager on what happens on the field. Obviously he is well aware of that.

If results are shocking, then he will be sacked. If we are mid table and holding our own he will be given time, and if he does very well he will be poached! Take your pick of those which you prefer.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Can we please give MJ some time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.