This thread currently has 950 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
scott_gtfc_89
August 5, 2018, 1:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
without having ago at MJ for yesterday’s team selection I just wanted to get your opinions on yesterday’s selections.

I think Fox must of been carrying a slight knock or unfit to not start (didn’t look as sharp as last season in pre season for me) for Dixon to start ahead of him. Then when Dixon came off who I think doesnt at all look a WB and bringing RHJ on instead of Fox confirmed this for me. RHJ is a right sided player so to bring him on instead of Fox something just doesn’t sit right. RHJ should of started RWB as Clifton just looked lost in the clouds for me that position does not suit him one bit.

I think only either Welsh or Rose has to start in the formation we’re playing as in midfield we lacked creativity they seem very much the same sort of player. The midfield needs to be more creative than yesterday and more attaching options I think will benefit maybe in Vernam and Clifton more of a Central role with Welsh for better attacking options? Woolford to me played okay but would of preferred one of the above mentioned or Hess in that midfield to create more chances.

We quite simply need a striker that can find the net on a regular basis, I can’t see cook or Hooper scoring around 20 goals this season, Roubles has a lot to prove and Cardwell has a lot of fitness to catch up on.

The reason we have struggled to fulfill this position to me is because we wasn’t prepared to invest enough in this position, a proven goal scorer costs and I think now the club have realised and that’s why we have gone for Angol.

Do I think Angol can score 20+ goals if he signs? With the right service he has the calibre to do so but I think there could be better options out there for a little bit more money.

I would rather spend 100k+ on someone like Amond than Angol.

I think before the transfer window we need a striker and probably 2 proven WIng Backs if we’re going to stick with this formation.

Yesterday’s selection were very interesting and am sure MJ had his reasons for the team selection and substitutions.

Also fair play to FGR they looked solid and can tell they’ve spent more this season.

The next few days will be interesting to see who we bring in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
UFindusMariner
August 5, 2018, 2:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +172
I like the 3-5-2 system with the right personnel.

I think it was evident yesterday we are missing a left wing back (Fox is our best option ATM not Dixon) and a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Hopefully be addressed ASAP!

Onto next week! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
fiveallive
August 5, 2018, 2:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
A striker Bowman style instead of Angol but Angol would do, Koiki at LWB, and another midfielder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Yoda
August 5, 2018, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +4 / -20
Approval: -2,946
Gold Stars: 65
I thought FGR played it about well looked a good little side with little goal threat.
Let’s be honest we virtually gave them all four goals.
WithGunning in defence i cannot see them challenging maybe a top 10 finish.
Our lack of creativity though is worrying.!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
golfer
August 5, 2018, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 112
It would cause controversy but personally I would like to see our friend Lenell John Lewis return. It would certainly add bite,a bit of physical.a target man,he can hold the ball up,lay it off,score goals-just what we need at the moment--a lot of red crosses but it's my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
Northbank Mariner
August 5, 2018, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Quoted from golfer
It would cause controversy but personally I would like to see our friend Lenell John Lewis return. It would certainly add bite,a bit of physical.a target man,he can hold the ball up,lay it off,score goals-just what we need at the moment--a lot of red crosses but it's my opinion

Only one issue with that assessment golfer,  it would probably mean us resorting to route 1 again which is not what we want or need, I would rather we played more of a 3-5-1-1...after watching Cook yesterday what I think he has is pace to run in behind defenders, with Vernam having the ability to run, dribble and feed him....I believe we have the players, with enough ability but MJ needs to sort out how best to play them, in the same way he sorted Hooper out last season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
scott_gtfc_89
August 5, 2018, 5:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Approval: +398
Gold Stars: 1
I also wonder what the hold up is with us signing that Burnley defender,

Been going on for sometime and I don’t believe it is to do with them seeing who they bring in because there is no way he would be first or second choice for them this season.

It’s a strange one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Team Selection

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.