5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantley
August 5, 2018, 9:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
If you’re able to watch the full game again, you see that there’s a mirror situation a few minutes earlier: Collins receives the ball on the left and plays a back pass to McKeown, who is level with the left side of his area.

So what happened differently soon after? The only person that does is Danny Collins so he’s at fault for me.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
chaos33
August 5, 2018, 10:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
The orange clad steward theory might be correct and it might not, but who thought an all grey keeper's kit was a good idea?! How did that get actioned? We need to dispense with it immediately and have Macca in something clearly visible to eliminate any risk of future confusion and difficulty.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
Maringer
August 5, 2018, 10:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I'd also take the view point that, at our level, a bright kit from the keeper is more likely to attract the shots - not many 4th division strikers are great at putting it in the bottom corner and I reckon a lot of shots are hit straight at the keeper as they tend to be so clearly visible!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Mrs Doyle
August 6, 2018, 4:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Lambretta Mariner
From watching Collins own goal, my comment would be regarding where McKeown was stood. He was nearer the corner flag than the goal! Personally don't think the kit haAs Is anything to do with it, you'd never expect your keeper to be stood so wide.

Macca deliberately stayed away from the goal for safety reasons he wanted Collins to play the ball away from danger.

As I see it Collins clearly glanced up toward the goal where a steward sat in a bright orange hi-viz top behind the middle of the goal.

Collins then unwittingly thought it was Macca on his line and gave a firm back pass towards the goal.

Macca DID blend in with the fans in that grey top TBH I lost sight of him too.

All their goals were bad defending nobody has mentioned the equaliser they had a player totally unmarked right in the middle of our six-yard box ??? the scorer had a simple tap-in unbelievable defending.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
chaos33
August 6, 2018, 7:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Yeah it was, especially with three centre backs!
If you look at the third goal - Doidge wins the header without too much trouble, and again, questions asked of the centre backs when you look at the striker's build - he's pretty slim and not the tallest.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Croxton
August 6, 2018, 9:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Davis seen head in hands moments after. He knew he had failed to attack the cross.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Garth
August 6, 2018, 10:19am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah it was, especially with three centre backs!
If you look at the third goal - Doidge wins the header without too much trouble, and again, questions asked of the centre backs when you look at the striker's build - he's pretty slim and not the tallest.

You don`t have to be, its about quick movement off the ball (Fox in the box) and anticipation, that`s what you pay big bucks for.
The nearest we ever been to that is Podge and Connell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
Tommy
August 6, 2018, 10:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Without having been at the game on Saturday, the highlights I've watched don't exactly make it look like we were battered.

Obviously 2 of the goals were absolute gifts and as many of the highlights clips are us attacking as much as clips where FGR are.

Did FGR not actually have many chances in the game to show for their dominance? Was it just a case of them bossing possession not allowing us to?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
grimsby pete
August 6, 2018, 10:35am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I think the steward behind the goal should be instructed to move outside of the goals,

OR

On the goal line then he could clear the ball.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Maringer
August 6, 2018, 10:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from Tommy
Without having been at the game on Saturday, the highlights I've watched don't exactly make it look like we were battered.

Obviously 2 of the goals were absolute gifts and as many of the highlights clips are us attacking as much as clips where FGR are.

Did FGR not actually have many chances in the game to show for their dominance? Was it just a case of them bossing possession not allowing us to?

They were completely dominant in midfield - must have had 80% of the possession in the middle and won 90% of second balls from our clearances. However, they had loads of tippy-tappy possession around the edge of our box without taking shots or putting in telling crosses. Trying to play it through us to much.

Don't get me wrong - I thought they looked good and had loads of pace and skill - barely misplaced a pass in midfield. They just didn't threaten a huge amount in possession and it was our catastrophic errors which gifted too many of the goals. I still expect to see them up there around promotion at the end of the season, however. Too much ability and pace in that team for them not to be a handful for most teams in this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The "highlights"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.