Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!

This thread currently has 6,178 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
August 4, 2018, 5:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
We knew Fenty was going to try and do it on the cheap again and he has.
A leopard doesn’t change its spots.
On the performance it was aimless long ball dross probably the worst town performance i have wintnessed in nearly 40 years of watching town.
Absolutely no positives from the performance i do not think many will be rushing back to pay 21 pounds to watch that shambles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jonnyboy82
August 4, 2018, 5:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Good point but i doubt welsh and hessenthaler will be on peanuts for our league.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
TheCodfather1966
August 4, 2018, 5:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
You get what you pay for and we pay nothing at all in comparison to other clubs, that is why we produced today's performance.  The club is dead under Fenty.  New blood needed because this team has relegation written all over it, despite the happy clapping red cross brigade on this forum.  50 points with this team, you are having a bubble.......................

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
Yoda
August 4, 2018, 6:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,121
Gold Stars: 71
low budget low grade players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
LH
August 4, 2018, 6:06pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Threads merged.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
ginnywings
August 4, 2018, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Jeez! One game in and some have us relegated already. FGR players were clearly a cut above ours, but Vince must be paying them a packet to go play there. Why else would you?

We were bad, but FGR stretched us constantly, which leads to mistakes and poor play. Sad as it is, they must be spending loads on that team, on and off the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
ROKERITE
August 4, 2018, 6:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I know how unpopular Fenty is. But he's loosened the purse strings this window. He brought in and retained the manager the overwhelming majority wanted and there have been a lot of not inexpensive signings.
The Whitehouse injury was a heavy blow, for him and the team. He would surely have been a key player. If Angol signs then Fenty has certainly backed Jolley. It's up to Jolley to ensure today is not repeated.
My bet on you to be promoted, along with backing you ante-post handicap, looks unwise this evening. But there are 45 matches to go --------------or is that not want you want to think about right now?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
Mikey_345
August 4, 2018, 6:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
We played shockingly yes (stronger words also applicable) but looking round the team do we really see lots of players that are that bad individually? Other than maybe a few left under contract from last season. (It’s hard to tell as have to go on their past from other clubs)

I think it’s a case of this team hasn’t clicked yet as a collective unit, which you could say is down to not enough minutes together during pre season.

I’m struggling with seeing Hessenthaler, Welsh, Whitehouse, Davies and Cook being “cheap” options when you look where they’ve come from...

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
ginnywings
August 4, 2018, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from ROKERITE
I know how unpopular Fenty is. But he's loosened the purse strings this window. He brought in and retained the manager the overwhelming majority wanted and there have been a lot of not inexpensive signings.
The Whitehouse injury was a heavy blow, for him and the team. He would surely have been a key player. If Angol signs then Fenty has certainly backed Jolley. It's up to Jolley to ensure today is not repeated.
My bet on you to be promoted, along with backing you ante-post handicap, looks unwise this evening. But there are 45 matches to go --------------or is that not want you want to think about right now?!

If we are still playing like that at the business end of the season, that's when i will worry. Right now, the verdict is "must do better".

Good start for you lot today. First time you have won the opening game for years isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
ROKERITE
August 4, 2018, 6:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from ginnywings

If we are still playing like that at the business end of the season, that's when i will worry. Right now, the verdict is "must do better".

Good start for you lot today. First time you have won the opening game for years isn't it?

I went today, something I didn't do once last season. New regime but same old member-ups. Thousands of us were still queuing at kick-off, which couldn't be put back because of Great God Sky. Missed the first quarter-hour so missed their goal.
But, as you say, we won. Our third home win in 20 months I think. So some smiling Sunderland supporters for a change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
Ipswin
August 4, 2018, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
It might turn out that we have the manager our budget deserves

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
How the hell fans can lay today at JF’s door is unbelievably naive IMO, firstly, I though FGR were excellent and really controlled the game. I have repeatedly said I have never heard a Grimsby manager accuse JF of not backing him with player signings, MB a perfect example who was backed to 5he hilt, and it was not JF who picked Dixon & Woolford today nor him that gave away two goals.

Not saying a JF is the leader the club needs but to suggest everyone we sign is bargain basement is ridiculous. There will always be a budget & the Manager determines how to spend this I.e. 24 players or 18 better quality players and reliance on loans/academy players and keeping them fit.

Like MJ but today thought he got selection wrong and personally not keen on 3 at the back not with players a la Clifton played out of position which totally exposes the formation.

Not going to panic, last year we won 3-1 and look how that turned out so let’s get a bit further into the season before panicking and let’s look at the Manager rather than the non Chairman as the reason for today’s result. Sure MJ will turn it around and all part of the learning process.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Bigdog
August 4, 2018, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
How the hell fans can lay today at JF’s door is unbelievably naive IMO, firstly, I though FGR were excellent and really controlled the game. I have repeatedly said I have never heard a Grimsby manager accuse JF of not backing him with player signings, MB a perfect example who was backed to 5he hilt, and it was not JF who picked Dixon & Woolford today nor him that gave away two goals.

Not saying a JF is the leader the club needs but to suggest everyone we sign is bargain basement is ridiculous. There will always be a budget & the Manager determines how to spend this I.e. 24 players or 18 better quality players and reliance on loans/academy players and keeping them fit.

Like MJ but today thought he got selection wrong and personally not keen on 3 at the back not with players a la Clifton played out of position which totally exposes the formation.

Not going to panic, last year we won 3-1 and look how that turned out so let’s get a bit further into the season before panicking and let’s look at the Manager rather than the non Chairman as the reason for today’s result. Sure MJ will turn it around and all part of the learning process.

It would be incredibly naive of any GTFC manager to accuse JF of not backing them in public, especially if he wanted to stay in his job..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

It would be incredibly naive of any GTFC manager to accuse JF of not backing them, especially if he wanted to stay in his job..

Concur with you on that but my comment refers to the period after that have left the club not whilst still in charge. Accept today was pretty bad but normal overreacting to one game’s result by a significant number of our fans.

They may be right and I may be over optimistic but I am still confident this season will prove much more fruitful then last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
Bigdog
August 4, 2018, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Concur with you on that but my comment refers to the period after that have left the club not whilst still in charge. Accept today was pretty bad but normal overreacting to one game’s result by a significant number of our fans.

They may be right and I may be over optimistic but I am still confident this season will prove much more fruitful then last year.

I think much depends on between now and when the loan transfer window closes. At least three in and one left wing back out on loan hopefully..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
You are probably not far off with that assessment. On seeing us today I would suggest a simple switch to 4 at the back, Dixon and Woolford replaced and a decent striker should see us more than decent.

3 at the back may work but not with Clifton & Dixon in the wide roles it won’t
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
GrimRob
August 4, 2018, 8:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Every season we start with 3 at the back we always end up going back to 4. PH tried it one year and it was soon forgotten.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 43
TwoLeftFeet
August 4, 2018, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Can't understand us changing from a flat back four thought Fox and RHJ finished the season strongly as full backs and gave us energy getting forward too..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
August 4, 2018, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
I blame Fenty because he is to blame, as simple as that. Jolley got it wrong today, but he is just the latest in a long line of managers who don't have the budget to attract the best players. People say why would players come to a club like Grimsby, yet all those FGR players would have loved to have played in front of that partizan, noisy crowd out there today, up to half time anyway. The reason they choose to play for a club in a village with tiny gates is of course money.  

Very few of us know the run down on all available players, and when we do sign someone we naturally hope for the best. However, it has been proven season after season we do not have one of the best budgets to compete for the top spots - even when in the conference.

Fenty cannot secure any worthwhile investment, and naturally doesn't want to risk his own fortune so until he goes it seems we will try manfully to compete, but if today's evidence is anything to go by we are quite a way behind an ambitious but limited club in a village.

On a more positive note I am sure Michael Jolley will learn from today, and as daft as it sounds saying it, we will not be playing sides of the calibre of FGR every week.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
davmariner
August 4, 2018, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Can't understand us changing from a flat back four thought Fox and RHJ finished the season strongly as full backs and gave us energy getting forward too..

Agreed. It was a completely unnecessary fuc.k up from Jolley.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 8:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet

Yep have to agree with that too, if MJ is the Manager we hope he is he will recognise this and change tactics accordingly but doubt this will be done for a while yet as he will not want to abandon six weeks tactical work based on one poor performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
headingly_mariner
August 4, 2018, 8:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
At the minute we don’t have the depth of quality that we are going to need this season.

We look weak in both wingback positions and up front. We also seem to be lacking players with pace and creativity. It looks a hardworking but uninspiring budget squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:06pm
Guest User
Moan moan flipping moan.  First game of the season and the underclass Grimsby mentality sets in.  Thank intercourse I don’t live amongst you defeatist illegitimates, thank intercourse I chose long ago to leave the depressive negative Grimsby attitude behind.  I’ve lived and worked in some depressing places in my life but nowhere lives up (or should that be down) to the Grimsby mentality.  One game into the season, one flipping game and the negativity surfaces.  I laugh when I read ‘best fans in the country’ who’s view is that?  The negative girl privates when we win?

I have an alternative view for those who might be interested.  Today we got it wrong, much to learn but MJ proved at the backend of last season that he has the intelligence to plan a way forwards.  

However and for now, negative fans, defeatist mentality and look to blame rather than constructive analysis.  

Football: Grimsby till I die.  Outlook: anywhere but Grimsby till I die.

Negative but deservingly so underclass mentality losers!!!
Reply: 22 - 43
Gaffer58
August 4, 2018, 9:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
I don't know whether Fenty gets the blame or not for the budget, I will leave that to the good readers of the Fishy to decide, but when we were conference we were usually told our budget was around the 4 to 6 best, even though our crowds would be 2 or 3 position. Now it's not mentioned where our budget would be, but I would have thought crowd wise we would be 5 to 7 best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from 139914
Moan moan flipping moan.  First game of the season and the underclass Grimsby mentality sets in.  Thank intercourse I don’t live amongst you defeatist illegitimates, thank intercourse I chose long ago to leave the depressive negative Grimsby attitude behind.  I’ve lived and worked in some depressing places in my life but nowhere lives up (or should that be down) to the Grimsby mentality.  One game into the season, one flipping game and the negativity surfaces.  I laugh when I read ‘best fans in the country’ who’s view is that?  The negative girl privates when we win?

I have an alternative view for those who might be interested.  Today we got it wrong, much to learn but MJ proved at the backend of last season that he has the intelligence to plan a way forwards.  

However and for now, negative fans, defeatist mentality and look to blame rather than constructive analysis.  

Good flipping riddance you snobby helmet. I despise people like you
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

Good flipping riddance you snobby helmet. I despise people like you

Snobby?  helmet?  Listen wanksplat, I pay 30 grand a year in income tax to keep serial wasters like you in an education slot.  A bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss.
Reply: 25 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:18pm
Guest User
Hagrid CV

Highlights and achievements:  ‘I’m an administrator on the fishy (feel free to think slightly effeminate but borderline hetro voice).

Oh flipping well done you.  Achieve something apart from acne and I might respect you, for.  For now I’ll maintain my opinion of pointless twit.
Reply: 26 - 43
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914

Snobby?  helmet?  Listen wanksplat, I pay 30 grand a year in income tax to keep serial wasters like you in an education slot.  A bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss.

I’ve worked since i was 16 you silly old man. I invite you to come see me the next time your at a town game. Who the intercourse do you think you are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:21pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

I’ve worked since i was 16 you silly old man. I invite you to come see me the next time your at a town game. Who the intercourse do you think you are.

Are you threatening me?  LOL, pm me tough guy, look forward to correcting you.
Reply: 28 - 43
GrimRob
August 4, 2018, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Be happy to buy you two guys a drink and listen to you compare your P60s

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 43
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914

Are you threatening me?  LOL, pm me tough guy, look forward to correcting you.

I’m inviting you to come see me. Surely a upper clas snob such as yourself can see there is no threat there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:28pm
Guest User
I think a little word to the wise would be helpful.  Yes I’m 50+, but I don’t idle.  Try me little boy, I’ll happily show you the difference between a man and a wannabe.

I love threats from tough guys.
Reply: 31 - 43
Grantley
August 4, 2018, 9:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
^^McKeown and DC obviously haven’t resolved whose fault it was

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 9:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914
I think a little word to the wise would be helpful.  Yes I’m 50+, but I don’t idle.  Try me little boy, I’ll happily show you the difference between a man and a wannabe.

I love threats from tough guys.

No threat you fool. You called me an acne ridden youth who doesnt work. Come see me, see if thats the case
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid

No threat you fool. You called me an acne ridden youth who doesnt work. Come see me, see if thats the case

I actually called you a pointless girl private but let’s not argue over interpretation of words.
Reply: 34 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:34pm
Guest User
Fool? Did you say fool?  Hmm, again I must object, achieve something and THEN call me a fool.
Reply: 35 - 43
promotion plaice
August 4, 2018, 9:36pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from 139914

Just out of interest did you go today? because it was a real concern how bad we were......there's no hiding from the fact.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
August 4, 2018, 9:43pm
Guest User
Yes mate, it wasn’t good.  Can’t say I was overjoyed and not what I was hoping for.  My wife, 17 year old son and 16 year old daughter were with me.  I’d built it up as a day out in my home town watching the start of a new era.  It wasn’t to be but hey ho, that’s life as a Town fan.  Even the fish and chips at Steeles weren’t as good as usual but never mind.  I’ll be back.
Reply: 37 - 43
Hagrid
August 4, 2018, 11:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 139914
Fool? Did you say fool?  Hmm, again I must object, achieve something and THEN call me a fool.

I havent achieved much, but id say living with crohns disease and maintaining a healthy life since the age of 12 despite numerous operations and colonoscopies is something of an achievement. But im lower class arent i, so it wont matter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
marinerdazza
August 4, 2018, 11:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from 139914

You need to get a new accountant you daft whopper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
Perkins
August 4, 2018, 11:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Can't stand Bellends who brag about how much they earn, can you?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 43
jonnyboy82
August 5, 2018, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
We ended the season on a high playing a 442 which was flexible and the team seemed to be flourishing even though we all agree we needed changes here and there in players..

We then completely scrap that and go 352 with no previous experience in playing it and keep dixon at the club and play him as a wingback and play a young lad on the other side who is a central midfielder by trade, possibly the two most important poisions in a 352 are the wingbacks as they need to be able to get up and down the pitch and be athletic which dixon certainly isnt.

I like jolley especially with the way he turned us around last season but i really cant see why if he was adamant of a 352 why he hasnt prioritised in bringing wing backs in and although we had kioki on trial its like that is taking weeks to sort out for some reason.

I like the players he bought in midfield but everywere else im not sure he has got it right by any means , no striker to make you think we are serious and playing a formation without the right players is a bit concerning but yesterdays performance was either a complete one off or unless he brings in the right players for that formation its quite worrying tbh.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 43
rancido
August 5, 2018, 8:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Yoda
We knew Fenty was going to try and do it on the cheap again and he has.
A leopard doesn’t change its spots.
On the performance it was aimless long ball dross probably the worst town performance i have wintnessed in nearly 40 years of watching town.
Absolutely no positives from the performance i do not think many will be rushing back to pay 21 pounds to watch that shambles.

On what do you base this statement on? Do you know what our playing budget is? Do you know what all our individual players are on and more importantly , do you know what all the other teams budgets are in our league?
Only when you have the answer to these questions would you be qualified to come out with the statement you did.
Like all companies we have to have a staffing budget that is sustainable. The only exception to that would be having a wealthy benefactor willing to " gift " the club money to support better quality players.

Seeing as we don't have the latter then we , like the majority of clubs, have to live within our means. I know it was only 4 months ago but it may have slipped your memory that Accrington got automatically promoted from our league and I doubt wether their playing budget was any bigger than ours.

But , of course, all of that won't stop you from using yesterdays poor performance to have another dig at JF. The majority of the players yesterday are capable of playing a lot better than they demonstrated but , for whatever reason, they didn't and that has nothing to do with JF.

And before I get the predictable response that I am " up JF's ar*e " I will be pleased when he does go but for reasons other than the playing budget

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 43
jonnyboy82
August 5, 2018, 8:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 139914

You need to get a better accountant.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.