Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 107 Guests

We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!

This thread currently has 6,171 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
August 4, 2018, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
It might turn out that we have the manager our budget deserves

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 7:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,599
Gold Stars: 64
How the hell fans can lay today at JF’s door is unbelievably naive IMO, firstly, I though FGR were excellent and really controlled the game. I have repeatedly said I have never heard a Grimsby manager accuse JF of not backing him with player signings, MB a perfect example who was backed to 5he hilt, and it was not JF who picked Dixon & Woolford today nor him that gave away two goals.

Not saying a JF is the leader the club needs but to suggest everyone we sign is bargain basement is ridiculous. There will always be a budget & the Manager determines how to spend this I.e. 24 players or 18 better quality players and reliance on loans/academy players and keeping them fit.

Like MJ but today thought he got selection wrong and personally not keen on 3 at the back not with players a la Clifton played out of position which totally exposes the formation.

Not going to panic, last year we won 3-1 and look how that turned out so let’s get a bit further into the season before panicking and let’s look at the Manager rather than the non Chairman as the reason for today’s result. Sure MJ will turn it around and all part of the learning process.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 43
Bigdog
August 4, 2018, 7:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
How the hell fans can lay today at JF’s door is unbelievably naive IMO, firstly, I though FGR were excellent and really controlled the game. I have repeatedly said I have never heard a Grimsby manager accuse JF of not backing him with player signings, MB a perfect example who was backed to 5he hilt, and it was not JF who picked Dixon & Woolford today nor him that gave away two goals.

Not saying a JF is the leader the club needs but to suggest everyone we sign is bargain basement is ridiculous. There will always be a budget & the Manager determines how to spend this I.e. 24 players or 18 better quality players and reliance on loans/academy players and keeping them fit.

Like MJ but today thought he got selection wrong and personally not keen on 3 at the back not with players a la Clifton played out of position which totally exposes the formation.

Not going to panic, last year we won 3-1 and look how that turned out so let’s get a bit further into the season before panicking and let’s look at the Manager rather than the non Chairman as the reason for today’s result. Sure MJ will turn it around and all part of the learning process.

It would be incredibly naive of any GTFC manager to accuse JF of not backing them in public, especially if he wanted to stay in his job..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 8:04pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

It would be incredibly naive of any GTFC manager to accuse JF of not backing them, especially if he wanted to stay in his job..

Concur with you on that but my comment refers to the period after that have left the club not whilst still in charge. Accept today was pretty bad but normal overreacting to one game’s result by a significant number of our fans.

They may be right and I may be over optimistic but I am still confident this season will prove much more fruitful then last year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 43
Bigdog
August 4, 2018, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Concur with you on that but my comment refers to the period after that have left the club not whilst still in charge. Accept today was pretty bad but normal overreacting to one game’s result by a significant number of our fans.

They may be right and I may be over optimistic but I am still confident this season will prove much more fruitful then last year.

I think much depends on between now and when the loan transfer window closes. At least three in and one left wing back out on loan hopefully..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 43
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 4, 2018, 8:26pm
Brandy Drinker
You are probably not far off with that assessment. On seeing us today I would suggest a simple switch to 4 at the back, Dixon and Woolford replaced and a decent striker should see us more than decent.

3 at the back may work but not with Clifton & Dixon in the wide roles it won’t
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 43
GrimRob
August 4, 2018, 8:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Every season we start with 3 at the back we always end up going back to 4. PH tried it one year and it was soon forgotten.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 43
TwoLeftFeet
August 4, 2018, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,069
Gold Stars: 18
Can't understand us changing from a flat back four thought Fox and RHJ finished the season strongly as full backs and gave us energy getting forward too..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 43
lew chaterleys lover
August 4, 2018, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
I blame Fenty because he is to blame, as simple as that. Jolley got it wrong today, but he is just the latest in a long line of managers who don't have the budget to attract the best players. People say why would players come to a club like Grimsby, yet all those FGR players would have loved to have played in front of that partizan, noisy crowd out there today, up to half time anyway. The reason they choose to play for a club in a village with tiny gates is of course money.  

Very few of us know the run down on all available players, and when we do sign someone we naturally hope for the best. However, it has been proven season after season we do not have one of the best budgets to compete for the top spots - even when in the conference.

Fenty cannot secure any worthwhile investment, and naturally doesn't want to risk his own fortune so until he goes it seems we will try manfully to compete, but if today's evidence is anything to go by we are quite a way behind an ambitious but limited club in a village.

On a more positive note I am sure Michael Jolley will learn from today, and as daft as it sounds saying it, we will not be playing sides of the calibre of FGR every week.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 43
davmariner
August 4, 2018, 8:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,902
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Can't understand us changing from a flat back four thought Fox and RHJ finished the season strongly as full backs and gave us energy getting forward too..

Agreed. It was a completely unnecessary fuc.k up from Jolley.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › We’ve got the players our budget deserves.!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.