This thread currently has 3,086 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
AlfredTheGreat
July 31, 2018, 3:01pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -162
Just curious how people watch football matches. I suppose the most basic way is to just follow the ball and not think too much beyond what is going on beyond it. Then there is trying to figure out the two teams formations and how they match up against one another. Do you watch specific players or just those around the ball? Do you mentally break the team down into defence/midfield/attack? Do you watch exclusively your own team or do you take in what the opposition are doing?

I am making a conscious effort this season to try and appreciate the game more, my new season's resolution. Has anyone got any tips for watching a live game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
promotion plaice
July 31, 2018, 3:43pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I've always kept it simple and just watch the ball in general without getting too involved with formations. Of course I'm always biased towards Town, its the done thing  
Beer before the game and another at half-time is part of the experience for me.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 19
gtfckyle
July 31, 2018, 4:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +25
Generally follow the ball around but you can see other things in your peripheral I guess.. I've never given it a lot of thought before reading your post.

I think I look around more when there's danger either going forward on a break or if the other team is breaking on us, i'd be much more aware of the movement of the attackers in those situations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 19
Les Brechin
July 31, 2018, 4:12pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
I sit in The Upper Findus.

For most of last season I was watchig the ships on The River Humber!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 19
moosey_club
July 31, 2018, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Depends upon viewpoint...from the Upper you get a wider perspective and can easily identify who is tracking back, making off the ball movement , taking up decent positions ..or just simply stood fking still !!  but while also keeping an eye on the ball.
The lower and closer to pitch side you get, the harder it is to see those things and you tend to have to follow the ball.  
What might look like a really sh1t pass from the front rows of the Main Stand could look like an almost perfect pass from the upper as you get to see the wider picture.

Pre season i tend to sit in the upper to see the extra bits when assessing the newcomers before returning to the Pontoon for the real stuff.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 19
July 31, 2018, 4:45pm
Guest User
For the last decade or so, watching through beer goggles has been my preferred and necessary method. Last season, I considered turning to mind bending magic mushrooms. I'm hoping just a few pre match scoops and a few celebratory ales will be the new norm this season.
Reply: 5 - 19
conscorner
July 31, 2018, 5:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
My mates are really into the team / formation analysis thing  - I think that they have been listening to too many TV pundits.  From my point of view I just want to watch decent football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 19
louth_in_the_south
July 31, 2018, 6:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
As BP says best way through beer goggles for the last 20 years . The level we’re at it’s just about playing well and giving 100% , formations and tactics go out the window once the whistle goes in my opinion.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 19
TownSNAFU5
July 31, 2018, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
From the UF I often see danger with an opposing winger completely unmarked.  I am shouting for someone to see this and mark him.  Invariably, the ball does not get passed to him anyway.

We can attack with a player unmarked and the ball does not go to him, is delayed, or we pick the wrong option and the attack breaks down.  Cue frustrated curses at a missed opportunity.  The game is easy from high up. 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 19
The Yard Dog
July 31, 2018, 7:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from AlfredTheGreat
Just curious how people watch football matches. I suppose the most basic way is to just follow the ball and not think too much beyond what is going on beyond it. Then there is trying to figure out the two teams formations and how they match up against one another. Do you watch specific players or just those around the ball? Do you mentally break the team down into defence/midfield/attack? Do you watch exclusively your own team or do you take in what the opposition are doing?

I am making a conscious effort this season to try and appreciate the game more, my new season's resolution. [/b]Has anyone got any tips for watching a live game?[b]

With your eyes wide open, as apoosed to last season your eyes would have been better shut
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How to watch a football game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.