2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
July 31, 2018, 8:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
A few years ago during the Hearn glory years, thevera and I would bet on him for goal minutes.
Goal minutes is a combination of the total number of goal minutes during a game.

One home game, Hearn scored 4 but more importantly, 3 of them were late goals. We bought at something around 35 but he scored in probably the 20th, 65th, 70th and 75th minutes, a total of 230 minutes, minus our 35 that we bought at, so we were in credit to the tune of 195 minutes.

I can't remember our stake, probably 50p per minute, so a win just under £100.

Those were the days.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Limerick Mariner
August 1, 2018, 3:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Racing Post has us finishing 19th..."young squad" should "improve" and "keep out of danger". clearly they think by not much though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
psgmariner
August 1, 2018, 3:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I think most neutrals expect us to struggle.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
grimsby pete
August 1, 2018, 5:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Racing Post has us finishing 19th..."young squad" should "improve" and "keep out of danger". clearly they think by not much though.  

Yes we have signed some younger quicker players,

BUT

We have experience too with Collins 37, Dixon 31, Welsh 34, Woolford 31 Macca 28, Davis 27

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Grimbiggs
August 1, 2018, 9:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from GrimRob
I bought a tenner a point at 58.5. I see us getting low 50s worst case so there seems far more upside that downside to me. The good thing about this market is you can dip in and out as the season progresses, so you don't need to wait for the end of the season, unlike a conventional fixed odds or exchange markets. It's more like a share or commodity price. Good topping up opportunities after the first couple of games.

Not quite true, you can actually cash out with most firms now throughout the season. I've done it on many an occasion, and a number of Leicester fans made a tidy profit for no risk when they won the Prem.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
GrimRob
August 1, 2018, 10:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Not quite true, you can actually cash out with most firms now throughout the season. I've done it on many an occasion, and a number of Leicester fans made a tidy profit for no risk when they won the Prem.

Yes, I am aware you can do it, but generally at very mean prices, so I regard it as a gimmick more than a built-in part of the market. Personally, I never press a cash out button, I prefer to lay the bet myself on the exchanges, at prices I have control over. When I backed Leicester to win the league I actually would have won a grand more had they failed to do so, largely because Betfred paid out a month early, which I hadn't anticipated! I missed out on Shrewsbury going up last year, but I still laid enough to make a three-figure sum, albeit less only 10% of what I would have won. This year all my money is on Town to get promoted, with a much smaller pot on winning the league. They are in a very similar position to Leicester and Shrewsbury in that they avoided relegation but finished very strongly.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 18
psgmariner
August 2, 2018, 8:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I’m staggered by the confidence in Town this season.

As a disclaimer I fully admit I’m not a great gambler! I had money on town winning the league last year ffs!

Last year we had an established ‘safe pair of hands’ in charge plus about £1 million from the sale of Bogle. This year we have no established striker and have lost our most creative player. The one midfielder who did look as if he could chip in with 10 goals is out for the season. I am really worried about where the goals are coming from. Hopefully we win some penalties again!

Narrowly missing relegation and finishing strongly doesn’t seem a good indicator of winning the league. I would certainly argue that Leicester are the exception rather than the rule if you look through the past winners of the premier league!

If we sign a top quality striker I could be persuaded but regretfully don’t see this squad challenging at the moment.

A season of mid table consolidation and a cup run would be a success in my eyes.

UTM.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Limerick Mariner
August 2, 2018, 11:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Somebody is putting money on Town - now at 59 on Sporting. 1.5 point rise in the price this week is a fair sized move without a ball being kicked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
GrimRob
August 2, 2018, 12:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
I think confidence is justified. There are 4 promotion places, and I think in the two years we have been in this division most of the bigger sides have been promoted. We've got the 7th biggest average gate (which is a proxy of sorts for resources and potential) of the remaining teams and I am sure we can improve upon last year's crowds. Quite a lot has changed behind the scenes in the last 12 months and I think we have a better/fitter squad and I would expect us to rise up a few notches just on personnel alone.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Buy at 57.5

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.