4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
July 28, 2018, 9:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
Nips round to someone’s bbq birthday party tonight ..this guy gets this club this town gets this club , not one for giving fenty praise but gambling on a unknown 👏🏻👏🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Hagrid
July 28, 2018, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 527
I heard it was Fentys BBQ urine up party tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 35
Mighty_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 9:38pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Yeah I saw that too.. Nipped round to the guys house on the way to Fenty's BBQ and presented him and his mate with new Town shirts with 30 and 40 on the back as they were celebrating their respective birthdays!

This guy can do no wrong and continues to amaze me!

He also sent a young Town fan who was celebrating his 18th birthday last week, both home and away shirts a card signed from him and the Mrs and a season ticket!

These good will gestures must be costing him a fortune!

In all seriousness though, he clearly understand the importance of getting the fans on board and making them feel part of the club... He also seems genuinly appreciative of been given his chance in English football at Town.

Hopefully when some bigger clubs come calling he can turn them down until he's got Town when we need to be.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 35
marinerdazza
July 28, 2018, 9:50pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Hagrid

I hope they all get taxis home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 35
Grimal
July 28, 2018, 9:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,857
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Yeah I saw that too.. Nipped round to the guys house on the way to Fenty's BBQ and presented him and his mate with new Town shirts with 30 and 40 on the back as they were celebrating their respective birthdays!

This guy can do no wrong and continues to amaze me!

He also sent a young Town fan who was celebrating his 18th birthday last week, both home and away shirts a card signed from him and the Mrs and a season ticket!

In all seriousness though, he clearly understand the importance of getting the fans on board and making them feel part of the club... He also seems genuinly appreciative of been given his chance in English football at Town.

Hopefully when some bigger clubs come calling he can turn them down until he's got Town when we need to be.

And hopefully when he get's Town where we need to be he want's to be there with us .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 35
Mighty_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 10:14pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
On the topic of Fentys BBQ... wasnt there an incident at one of these a few years ago? Someone fighting or something?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 35
jamesgtfc
July 28, 2018, 10:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190

I notice the Main Stand toilets have had a coat of paint with the Dembele money. Maybe the balance is going on turning up at fans birthdays with gifts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 35
arryarryarry
July 28, 2018, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid

Why do you think today's k.o. was brought forward to 1.00pm
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 35
promotion plaice
July 28, 2018, 10:30pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

This MJ love in is all very well but at the end of the day he will be judged on results.

Yes it appears we have strengthened our squad but I would imagine so have all the other teams.

I still think we need that big target man striker but what do I know.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 35
hheh2
July 28, 2018, 10:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

This MJ love in is all very well but at the end of the day he will be judged on results.

Yes it appears we have strengthened our squad but I would imagine so have all the other teams.

I still think we need that big target man striker but what do I know.

Alot of fuss about needing a target man. But our best recent strikers were Amond/Bogle much more nimble attackers. I think we just have to wait and see. Jolley has said he has targets in mind still.

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 35
Abdul19
July 28, 2018, 10:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
On the topic of Fentys BBQ... wasnt there an incident at one of these a few years ago? Someone fighting or something?

Scott Brown getting done for drink driving on the way home?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 28, 2018, 11:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Abdul19

Scott Brown getting done for drink driving on the way home?

Not cpmpletly acurate as SB was living in the rented house dead opersite JF house at the time. He had actually been in to Cleethorpes with some mates after leaving the bbq. He then crashed his car on his way home afterwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
July 28, 2018, 11:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
I hope beyond all hope that Michael Jolley is the one man than can turn around the fortunes of GTFC.

We all love a hero, and I hope the next generations are talking about Michael Jolley as we talk about Alan Buckley.

I am hoping he can do more than Buckley though; Buckley was a marmite character, and didn't receive universal acclaim for what he achieved -which was basically a miracle, but I think more people might treat Jolley as they treated McMenemy assuming he can bring us success on the field.

Jolley seems so astute, I think perhaps he can do much more for the club than we realise at present, but for now if he can get us success with the team that would be a great start.

I have no faith whatsoever in the board, so I hope Michael Jolley's charisma, know how and contacts can be the start of something big.

This season will be my 58th of going to BP in the hope of a great season; I have seen some absolute corkers, and some I would rather forget, but it would be nice to be challenging to get up to league 1, the third tier of English football, which is where we should be as a minimum.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
Cloudy
July 29, 2018, 6:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Nips round to someone’s bbq birthday party tonight ..this guy gets this club this town gets this club , not one for giving fenty praise but gambling on a unknown 👏🏻👏🏻

Looking at the photos on Twitter I can't say I have ever seen the two fans at home or away games?

Are they regulars?
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
GTFC_687
July 29, 2018, 8:48am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +53
Quoted from Cloudy

Looking at the photos on Twitter I can't say I have ever seen the two fans at home or away games?

Are they regulars?

Do you have to be regulars to get a visit from MJ?!

One is an exile. The other goes to majority of the home games. Even volunteers in a main stand bar at home games. Does that justify them getting shirts for their birthdays for you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
July 29, 2018, 9:27am
Guest User
Quoted from Cloudy

Are they regulars?

It’s not just those fans that buy STs that keep the Club alive!! Yes, it’s a massive contribution but there are many pieces to that jigsaw.

I haven’t lived in Gy for nearly 27 years due to being in the Armed Forces but i will always ensure that a visit to Family coincides with a Home game, buy shirts, drag mates along and pay for iFollow so I can watch those games from the Sh1tty places that I have been sent to.

I’m also fairly sure that the tears when Nathan Arnold’s Goal went in on Wembley terraces, my joy at watching Jamille Matt’s Header and the hairs on the back of my neck when we walked out in return to the Football League to ‘👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🐟 meant as much to me as it did to you.

That’s the Thing with Michael Jolley, he gets the bigger picture. Our Club, Our Heritage is so much deeper that just those at the game on a Saturday.

We all have one thing in common, Black and White running through our Blood!!

UTM
Reply: 15 - 35
HertsGTFC
July 29, 2018, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Cloudy

Are they regulars?

Does it matter?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
golfer
July 29, 2018, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Message from J.S.F.  " All my Fishy friends as an acknowledgement of your advice as to how as non-chairman I should run the personnel side of Grimsby Town F.C.I hereby invite you all to drink and be merry at my barbecue on Saturday 28 th "   Oops I've slipped up that was last night. Never mind there's always next year if I'm still here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Mariner93er
July 29, 2018, 11:15am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
It makes it so much easier to support your club when you have a manager who is so supportable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
Cloudy
July 29, 2018, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GTFC_687

Do you have to be regulars to get a visit from MJ?!

One is an exile. The other goes to majority of the home games. Even volunteers in a main stand bar at home games. Does that justify them getting shirts for their birthdays for you?

No not reallly tbh

Just my view
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
July 29, 2018, 12:46pm
Guest User
in MJ  i believe we have a good chance to be successful (yes, it still has  to be proven). Its been a long time coming that we have a manager  that has adhered himself to the masses and filled us with hope  and belief that our club will get back to where it belongs. He is building us a team that will play football ,im sure they will capable of  achieving good and ugly wins/results. Good Luck to MJ  and his/our team from now on. Im not sorry if ive bored anyone with this  ,i needed to say it.

ps, personally i would have preferred NcMenemys to have been called  Buckleys ,after a manager that gave us far more than we expected. 1998 is etched in all our memories , thank you Alan Buckley.
Reply: 20 - 35
dapperz fun pub
July 29, 2018, 1:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

Are they regulars?

Give your a head a wobble and clear that mist /cloud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
Grantley
July 29, 2018, 1:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Cloudy

No not reallly tbh

Just my view

Never seen you at a game before tbh. Can we really call you a fan?

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
grimsby pete
July 29, 2018, 1:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Cloudy

Are they regulars?

Average home gate of 4,500 and you know them all Cloudy ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
Croxton
July 29, 2018, 1:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Never seen you either Grantley but you still called me a ' weird old man '! Sadly, the family took your side.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
MuddyWaters
July 29, 2018, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Cloudy

Are they regulars?

You know all the Town fans from your seat in Lower Youngs? Wow!
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
Cloudy
July 29, 2018, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You know all the Town fans from your seat in Lower Youngs? Wow!

I know most of those that travel away on a regular basis by face
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
HackneyHaddock
July 29, 2018, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Had a read of an old Cod Almighty article from two years ago, where a number of exiled and regular fans talked about what Grimsby means to them.

Is it a trip to Mad Harry's or Norris the Rubberman?  Walking along the sea wall to Fuller Street Bridge, seeing the Dock Tower come into view from the A16 or the sunrise over the Pier?

I feel like MJ has a sense of this nostalgia and feeling people have for the club that goes beyond just wanting to watch football.  About its place in people's lives and its ability to bring a town together.  I see the same sort of thing in John Welsh, a guy from a port on the other side of the country who knows about community and identity, who's been at a traditional Northern club and plays with his heart on his sleeve and his boots.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday, not just because of the football, but because, as someone who lives away and only comes back a few times a year, it's a chance to reconnect; with family, with the town, with childhood.  It should be a real occasion and should bring out all the infrequent fans, the curious, the people who identify with the club but who aren't there every week out of habit.  If MJ can turn the two-or-three-games-a-season into four-or-five-games fans, the haven't-been-since-school fans into three-game-a-season fans, and the only-ever-watch-Premiership-and-Champions-League fans into "I want Town to do well and will pop along to the odd game" fans, then he'll make a bigger long-term impact than he can imagine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
grimsby pete
July 29, 2018, 3:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Cloudy

I know most of those that travel away on a regular basis by face

Are you Terry in disguise Cloudy ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
MuddyWaters
July 29, 2018, 3:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete

Are you Terry in disguise Cloudy ?

No he isn't, he's ---- ------- in disguise
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
arryarryarry
July 29, 2018, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mariner93er
It makes it so much easier to support your club when you have a manager who is so supportable.

Really?

Having supported GTFC  for over 50 years I have seen some great times and some shite times and I am quite happy to come on here and praise when it is going right and complain when it isn't but in all that time I have never felt like not supporting the club irrespective of whoever is manager or playing.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
coddy60
July 29, 2018, 7:42pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

Really?

Having supported GTFC  for over 50 years I have seen some great times and some shite times and I am quite happy to come on here and praise when it is going right and complain when it isn't but in all that time I have never felt like not supporting the club irrespective of whoever is manager or playing.

Well done you, personally Slade stopped me going on both occasions he managed here with his brand of football, even when we were in automatic promotion position first time round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
dapperz fun pub
July 30, 2018, 9:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from coddy60

Well done you, personally Slade stopped me going on both occasions he managed here with his brand of football, even when we were in automatic promotion position first time round.

Tbh i enjoyed winning most weeks in slades first stint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
1mickylyons
July 31, 2018, 7:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from coddy60

You were not alone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
barralad
July 31, 2018, 6:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Tbh i enjoyed winning most weeks in slades first stint

Me too. Plenty of goals home and away. A decent League Cup run. I remember thrashings of Notts County and Rochdale at home...winning 3-0 at Cheltenham.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
Brisbane Mariner
August 1, 2018, 10:19am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
I get to games very infrequently but I am still and always will be Town, nothing better than driving into grimsby from the A46 and seeing Dock tower come into view and then i feel like I am home - still after being away for 22 years! Town through and through UTM!! Good luck to MJ and us all this season  

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jolley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.