Bigdog
July 29, 2018, 9:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

Agreed, don’t you think it seems a bit weird Burnley were willing to allow him to play a trial game but 3 weeks later we’ve not able to sign him on loan. Makes you wonder what Burnley are thinking about him ?

Maybe MJ has to offload one before getting Koiki in? Three left wing backs is hard to justify when building a squad. Try explaining that one to JF. Three for one position when some think that having five CMs for three places is having depth. After Whitehouse's injury, I still think MJ will be looking to strengthen there. It's a long way to January and we'd be just an injury or two away from not having choices or back up in that area. MJ has gone on record saying he'd like two players for each position. 5/3 is not quite there for CM and 3/1 for left wing back is overkill especially as he has trialled RHJ there.. Maybe Koiki is versatile enough at his age to provide cover in other areas too.

Regarding another striker.. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign another one. If the team is more solid in defence and midfield has more possession and not only creates more chances but also better quality chances, goalscoring could look after itself no matter who plays up front. Like everyone else, I would like to see a marquee striker signing, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if we didn't sign one..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 86
Croxton
July 29, 2018, 10:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
I liked Koiki's athleticism and ability to spot the movement of others and play them in. Under our wing back system, wide players have to work so we need the cover. Woolford looked good against Trinity but he is better employed inside. His and Fox's recovery speed are a big question mark when we don't have the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 86
headingly_mariner
July 29, 2018, 10:36am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Grimal

Not sure why you thought the pitch ruined it a bit, we were only saying that it looked in great condition and the groundsmen had done a good job.

Because it was way too long. Held the ball up and really slowed the game down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 86
headingly_mariner
July 29, 2018, 10:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Cloudy

What success are people expecting, most voted for around midtable in a recent poll on here. Is that beyond our capabilities in your view?

Maybe I’ve misjudged it but i hear people talking about being right up there and a promotion season. That would be great but it would be a huge surprise to me.

We have a much changed and hopefully stronger defence and midfield. Our problem last season was scoring goals, can anyone look at our attacking players and honestly suggest that we are in a stronger position than when we started last season.

I’m pleased Vernam is here because he has real quality, but I am struggling to see where the goals will come from. Hopefully we will get 2 or 3 quality additions in before the window.

We barely stayed up last season and don’t seem to have strengthened our key weakness from last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 86
Madeleymariner
July 29, 2018, 10:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
We barely stayed up last season and don’t seem to have strengthened our key weakness from last year.

We have strengthened our key weakness hopefully. Jolly replacing he who I refuse to say the name of
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 86
forza ivano
July 29, 2018, 11:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from The Yard Dog
I heard from the farmer's wife, who's cousin was speaking to the butcher, who's daughter works with a fishmonger that we are looking at a striker from Oxford and that Ben Davis is hoping he can get a contract.
I am not saying i know, its a rumour I heard and do not know where the source of the information. I thought I put out there.

Looking forward to the start of the season, knowing at least we will be playing football and what it brings. hopefully exciting times
ahead

UTM

Looking at oxfords squad last year wes thomas would seem the obvious name as he was released in may. The other 2 possibilities would be Gino van Kessler or agon mehmeti
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 86
FishOutOfWater
July 29, 2018, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Posting as a Town ex pat, who now lives in Gainsborough and as a shout out to the Town fan who I had the pleasure to stand next to, behind the goal during the first half (told you I would ). Grimsby played some nice football and were easily the best side in this game, rarely troubled by a Trinity side rebuilt since last seasons relegation from the National League North. What this performance is worth, is difficult to gauge, but having been to all Trinity's pre season friendlies this season, I can offer the following observations: Peterborough were a well organised outfit that played some nice football, but lacked that killer touch in front of goal. Town did better than them. Barnsley were a good team who like Town, dominated the match, but did not create as many chances as Town. Mansfield was not much of a proper game in that they brought the kids and thankfully for Town, were well beaten by Trinity. I think to summarise, lots of reasons to be cheerful for this coming season and whilst as we all know, pre season friendlies can mean nothing once the season proper starts, at least at this stage, things are looking at least a little hopeful. I wish you all the very very best of luck for this season. I hope to get over to BP at some stage this year, though have to admit the easy in and easy out of non league football does appeal to me a bit more these days. Think my problem is, that I am stuck in the perpetual nirvana that is 1998, can never top that !. UTM & God Save Livvo.

Good to make your acquaintance yesterday Shipwrecked!

It was good to have a chat about the Town of today and from back in the day. Funny that we were reminiscing about ‘98 and Livvo and then one of the legends from that era, Paul Groves,  walks by at half time

It was a good afternoon all round....weather, result, ambience and company. Your assessment of the events now being an “outsider” were spot on

Let’s hope it’s going to be a successful season for GTFC in both cases!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 86
dapperz fun pub
July 29, 2018, 1:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
How many town yesterday went ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 86
Croxton
July 29, 2018, 1:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Announcer said total crowd was 779 I think? Seemed like 70% Mariners. Expected a few more Trinity fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 86
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
July 29, 2018, 11:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good to make your acquaintance yesterday Shipwrecked!

It was good to have a chat about the Town of today and from back in the day. Funny that we were reminiscing about ‘98 and Livvo and then one of the legends from that era, Paul Groves,  walks by at half time

It was a good afternoon all round....weather, result, ambience and company. Your assessment of the events now being an “outsider” were spot on

Let’s hope it’s going to be a successful season for GTFC in both cases!

Ahh...excelent, sometimes people do remember, a genuine person which to me has always made being a Town fan special. Trinity supporters have a bit of the Town about them too, never expect too much, but fiercly proud when they over achieve. It was a pleasure to meet you. As a final footnote, there is a guy who takes some quite good photos of the action, does it for free, which is no great suprise at Trinity's level, but they are worth a look. I post the link below for those interested. Once again, the very best of luck, i will be watching!. Andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudders9999/albums/72157699183529634
P.S. If you look carefully, you will find one of the photos that shows both of us behind the goal !.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gainsborough Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.