9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 3:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
We played some good stuff today but we were rarely troubled. We were very patient and kept our shape very well. Rose and Vernam were the pick of the bunch. Vernam ran his socks off and was unlucky not to be on the score sheet. Impressed with Clifton today and Woolford had a good game. Trinity weren’t much of a challenge quite surprisingly seeing as they held a strong Peterborough side for 85 mins in mid week. Ross Hannah played about 35 mins for Trinity and was all but anonymous. Still not sure where our goals are gonna come from which is a funny thing to say after a 4-0 win. Robles got 10 mins and poked the ball home from close range after a mix up in the box, he also had an effort that went wide but I’ve not sussed him out yet.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 86
marinerrick
July 28, 2018, 4:18pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +52
I was unfortunate not to go today due to work but sounded good. I know we dont have a 20+goal Scorer. But we do seem to have a few that will pop up with 4 or 5 over the season. If we go back to promotion season when podge dried up so to speak we had very little in reserve. I would rather see 7 or 8 players that will score 4 or 5 over the season which would give a 28 to 40 goals. If we had one player that scored 20 and then got injured or went off form we would have nothing. Even so sooner or later other teams get wise to an out and out goal scorer and make it difficult for them to get on the score sheet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 86
MarinerBen
July 28, 2018, 4:30pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
People keep going on about the 20+ goalscorer. Now I don't mean to pile pressure on Hoops but I sure hope he's the man to do it. He's scored a few in preseason which can only add to his end of season flurry of goals. If he keeps up this form, who knows.

I'm hopeful and content with the team so far.

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 86
mimma
July 28, 2018, 4:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from MarinerBen
People keep going on about the 20+ goalscorer. Now I don't mean to pile pressure on Hoops but I sure hope he's the man to do it. He's scored a few in preseason which can only add to his end of season flurry of goals. If he keeps up this form, who knows.

I'm hopeful and content with the team so far.

Got to agree about Hooper. Since Mr Jolley arrived it's clear that he has been working on him and he looks a different player, full of confidence. He looks like he is enjoying himself under MJ and is now finding the net more often as a result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 86
Croxton
July 28, 2018, 4:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
A good workout for most of the squad and the pattern of play works well enough. We stall a little on the left sometimes but hopefully Fox will grow more into his role.  Ideally, Wright, Robles and Ahkeem would have had more game time but MJ made sure the game was won first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 86
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 4:50pm

Champagne Drinker
MJ has certainly put Hooper and Rose through a mangle and squeezed out talent we didn’t know either had at one point. I didn’t rate neither of them until Slade went. Hooper has looked like a new player and seems to want the ball more. I’m not gonna say whether he can or can’t hit the goals in as he’s never been prolific. 29 goals in 6 years but if he starts this season how the last one ended then who knows?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 86
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 5:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
A good workout for most of the squad and the pattern of play works well enough. We stall a little on the left sometimes but hopefully Fox will grow more into his role.  Ideally, Wright, Robles and Ahkeem would have had more game time but MJ made sure the game was won first.

I definitely got the feeling that this is likely going to be the team to start next week. I think MJ approached the game to give that first 11 a good run out and likely you say the changes didn’t come until the game was wrapped up. There was none of the wholesale changes at the break and another glut in the second half to get everyone minutes. Sam Russell didn’t see the field at all and A. Rose only got a couple of minutes and Wright only seconds.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 86
FishOutOfWater
July 28, 2018, 5:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quite pleased with the way the afternoon panned out

We played some neat and tidy football and scored the goals needed to win a game

We were full of running - Vernam in particular - and kept on trying to play the ball through, rather than just hitting and hoping

I know next week it’ll be a completely different scenario but if we keep this kind of game up, I’ve a feeling it’ll bring us some good times in the months ahead

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 86
mimma
July 28, 2018, 5:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
I think that this coming season we will play good attractive football that we be a joy to watch.

Just need that magic ingredient, luck, to challenge for promotion.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 86
Swansea_Mariner
July 28, 2018, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
All seems very promising a complete contrast to this time last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Gainsborough Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.