Reply: 31 - 114
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2018, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
I agree we were a small fish in a big pond for much of Buckley's time here but his win ratio never really varied elsewhere either.

Russell Slade has a career win percentage of 36.7% and out of his last 3 jobs, we have the best figure at just over 25%. Hurst has proven himself a safe pair of hands and pulled off a miracle keeping them up. This time last year they were favourites for the drop but he proved his ability in getting teams to the play-offs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 114
Tommy
August 1, 2018, 10:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I agree we were a small fish in a big pond for much of Buckley's time here but his win ratio never really varied elsewhere either.

Russell Slade has a career win percentage of 36.7% and out of his last 3 jobs, we have the best figure at just over 25%. Hurst has proven himself a safe pair of hands and pulled off a miracle keeping them up. This time last year they were favourites for the drop but he proved his ability in getting teams to the play-offs.

I'm not trying to put Hurst down. I just posed the question really as it got me thinking. And even though I agree he has done well in his career to date, there's always room for improvement. As with any profession. There's always things you could've done better, and in his own quest for personal development, I'm sure he asks questions of himself too.

But the win percentage you quote for Slade is similar to what you've quoted Buckley's as. For me that's the biggest argument possible against solely using that as a yard stick for judging a manager. Buckley was ten times the manager Slade is yet they have similar win percentages.

Yes use them as part of a comparison because it is about results, but you have to factor in several other things to give records context in my opinion.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 114
forza ivano
August 1, 2018, 10:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,141
Gold Stars: 265
What a great read, comes across brilliantly and with certain parallels to Jolley, yet despite both being yorkies they are chalk n cheese. You feel that Jolley is revelling in the whole experience, whereas with hurst you get the feeling that his whole stay with us was done through gritted teeth.
Whatever, we were damn lucky to have him. And once again thank you for getting us back in the league via a never to be forgotten day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 114
The Yard Dog
August 1, 2018, 11:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
MJ wants to be apart of our community, where as PH could not wait to across the border back to yorkieland.

Only time will tell if MJ can be a successful manager for us, hopefully as successfully as his PR skills and we will be on a winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 114
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2018, 11:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Tommy

I'm not trying to put Hurst down. I just posed the question really as it got me thinking. And even though I agree he has done well in his career to date, there's always room for improvement. As with any profession. There's always things you could've done better, and in his own quest for personal development, I'm sure he asks questions of himself too.

But the win percentage you quote for Slade is similar to what you've quoted Buckley's as. For me that's the biggest argument possible against solely using that as a yard stick for judging a manager. Buckley was ten times the manager Slade is yet they have similar win percentages.

Yes use them as part of a comparison because it is about results, but you have to factor in several other things to give records context in my opinion.

I agree with you there. The expectation last season was a play off push and I'm sure there were high expectations for Slade at Coventry and Charlton before us. Slades record has declined considerably the last 3 appointments whereas Buckley was consistent throughout his management career. I consider Sean Dyche an excellent manager and his win percentage is 38.6%. Against Mourinho (65.4%) and Guardiola (71.9%), Dyche's record appears terrible. Now consider, despite winning double the games Dyche's wins, Mourinho is the current favourite to be sacked first in the Premier League this season.

As we all know, football isn't an even playing field and Guardiola would not win 72% of his games at a more unfashionable club.

I was at work when I posted about Buckley earlier, just quickly searching other managers. I do not consider him in the same bracket as Slade. For a start, he was won things in his career and has a footballing philosophy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 114
Mighty_Mariner
August 2, 2018, 12:08am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc
That article is a great read. I see your point Tommy about his hate losing mantra but this is a guy with a 50% win rate as manager. The great Alan Buckley had a 38% win rate and an unblemished reform with no relegations.

He always had us fighting for a play off place (1st full season aside) and his win rate (combined with Rob Scott) was 47.5%. We drew 3 games more than we lost over his time here. His record at Shrewsbury was similar and that achieved a play off place, which Ipswich fans would snap your hand off for right now.

Your argument is one that will always be there to be debated because going for a win is going to prove unsuccessful sometimes too and result in being hit on the break. I guess it is finding that balance and is the difference between automatic promotion and mid table.

Would you rather see your team lose 4-3 going for the win or draw 1-1?

Good Post that with some interesting points.

Regarding th question at the bottom... Give me a protected 1-1 draw over an entertaining 4-3 loss everytime. I like entertaining football as much as the next fan, but ultimately points means prizes and if it meant me watching a dull game that yields 1 or 3 points for Town then I'm all for it.

I do feel this season under Jolley will be more entertaining and expansive.... He seems to favour a culture of high pressing, high energy, attacking football and I think we'll see a fair few goals at the BP this year!

Can't wait for Saturday!

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 114
sam gy
August 2, 2018, 7:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Whilst I didn’t expect us to struggle like we did last season, I certainly did not expect us to reach the playoffs. Our squad was simply not good enough.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 114
Dan
August 2, 2018, 7:54am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Quoted from The Yard Dog
MJ wants to be apart of our community, where as PH could not wait to across the border back to yorkieland.

Only time will tell if MJ can be a successful manager for us, hopefully as successfully as his PR skills and we will be on a winner.

One of the pieces in the article that stood out for me was at every club he’s managed, Hursts family stayed in Sheffield. No judgement from me here for that for that - you do what’s best for you, and no doubt that’s tough personally. I just thought it contrasted with MJ moving both to an unfashionable part of Sweden and an unfashionable part of Lincolnshire.

Of course it remains to be seen if Jolley will be successful, but you can’t question his commitment to trying.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.