1mickylyons
July 27, 2018, 9:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from golfer
When you read the report on Hurst's transfer involvements it just highlights the differences in the amounts of money available [ millions that Bristol City can fork out ] compared to money that is being made available to Town. Scunthorpe rejecting £400K for Townsend on gates no more than ours. Is there something I am missing

Eveything else aside I would imagine Scunny are raking in 2-3 times the tv revenue of Town at least? Last season Scunny were on live at least 3 times not sure what payment that gets but bound to be substantial?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 114
Dan
July 27, 2018, 9:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Also, I don't think we've won a single cup game since we got back in the league, which won't have helped the budget at all.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 114
marinerdazza
July 27, 2018, 10:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from hheh2
Hope we get him in a cup run this season

It would be worth it for the inevitable goal celebration from the Town fans. 👂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 114
Tommy
August 1, 2018, 12:21pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
For anyone interested in reading about Hurst, there's a very open and interesting interview with him in the East Anglia Times >

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-hurst-the-big-interview-1-5631473

Great read I thought.

However, his take on wanting players to hate losing more than they love winning was very interesting. Wonder if that leads to his cautious nature and that of his teams here which often saw us appear to settle for a point & not take many calculated risks to push on for a win?
Might point to why we often went on decent "unbeaten" runs but never any good "winning" runs. Where we'd be unbeaten in 7 but 4 of them were draws and such like.

Not intended as a criticism of PH. It's something that arguably works for him as he's progressed his career relatively quickly. But you could always question what could he have done better (as any professional would ask of themselves).

And his "hate losing more than you love winning" mantra is probably great for firefighting jobs like when he went into Shrewsbury when they were in s relegation battle. But maybe if you're at the top end of the league that needs to evolve into a "winning" mentality rather than a "not losing" mentality. Just my opinion. And I might be reading too much into it. Sports psychologists might have more insight than me.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 114
jamesgtfc
August 1, 2018, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
That article is a great read. I see your point Tommy about his hate losing mantra but this is a guy with a 50% win rate as manager. The great Alan Buckley had a 38% win rate and an unblemished reform with no relegations.

He always had us fighting for a play off place (1st full season aside) and his win rate (combined with Rob Scott) was 47.5%. We drew 3 games more than we lost over his time here. His record at Shrewsbury was similar and that achieved a play off place, which Ipswich fans would snap your hand off for right now.

Your argument is one that will always be there to be debated because going for a win is going to prove unsuccessful sometimes too and result in being hit on the break. I guess it is finding that balance and is the difference between automatic promotion and mid table.

Would you rather see your team lose 4-3 going for the win or draw 1-1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 114
ginnywings
August 1, 2018, 12:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
He's just said what everyone worked out for themselves while he was here. He's a percentage manager, who is happy to get to the play offs and gamble from there. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. He's not yet won outright promotion from a league and he may never achieve that, but he certainly knows how to organise teams, and how to further his career in the process. Not sure the fans will tolerate his style, the higher he climbs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 114
somersetmariner
August 1, 2018, 1:03pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
He’s progressed to an IPad.....

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 114
Mrs Doyle
August 1, 2018, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Let's be honest Hurst served a tough apprenticeship here but he did ok and it has served him well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 114
1mickylyons
August 1, 2018, 2:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Let's be honest Hurst served a tough apprenticeship here but he did ok and it has served him well.

Think that`s a very fair and apt assessment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 114
diehardmariner
August 1, 2018, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
When he was here I remember him saying that as a player he always got the most satisfaction out of those 1-0 smash 'n'  grab style wins where it was backs to the wall for most of the game.  I think a lot of that came through as a manager too.

When all is said and done, he's managing in the Championship now and we've spent the last two years wondering what could have been with various players/managers.  I hope he does well at Ipswich.  He may be a grump but his mantra about hard work is a great one to have.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.