diehardmariner
July 26, 2018, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from psgmariner
I love Macca but just because he was a loyal servant to the club (if you forget agreeing to sign for Hull as he wanted more money) doesn’t mean he is entitled to a job as a coach. When he has applied for the manager’s job in the past he was very inexperienced and not suitable. On paper Bignot was a much better option. Obviously Bignot was a disaster but his record before GTFC was impressive.

Absolutely!

Macca is a legend, probably THE club legend.  But that doesn't entitle him to anything.  I agree he should be involved in the club in some capacity as a result of his history but I'm thinking more of an ambassadorial role than coaching/managing.

If he can prove himself to be an adequate coach then by all means let's see if we can get him on board in some capacity, but not just because he's Macca.  It has to be because he's the best man for the job.

I too have read his book, there's quite clearly some issue between him and Fenty.  But it also reads a bit to me that Macca thinks he's entitled to some sort of role with the club, just because of who he is.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
marinerdazza
July 26, 2018, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,781
Gold Stars: 81
I quite like the u16 coach we have tbh...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Gaffer58
July 26, 2018, 9:55am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 31
Although I believe Macca to be a club legend we cannot employ every ex player who wants to coach otherwise our backroom staff would be bigger than our playing squad. Gerrard has left Liverpool to gain experience, he may well return as a manager in the future, probably the same route for Macca eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
wormy
July 26, 2018, 11:01am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +62
He was very keen to let us know exactly how little he earned in his last two years but not so keen to let us know about his previous very lucrative contracts (for that era) awarded to him. A legend of course but no right to be given a job at the club unless he was the best candidate for the job. His track record is not good since leaving Town but all the best to him
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
GTFC_687
July 26, 2018, 12:27pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +53
Macca is a legend. The best right back I’ve seen in my time watching and supporting the club and quite rightly is revered amongst fans.

However; that doesn’t mean he warrants a coaching job. He’s only ever worked in men’s football since, what’s to say he knows how to develop young players?

I fully trust the judgement of someone very experienced in Neil Woods, who will have done his best to put good coaches in his team within the academy. I hear that there are plenty of talented and up coming coaches in the academy.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
pen penfras
July 27, 2018, 7:54am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from diehardmariner

there's quite clearly some issue between him and Fenty.

The man himself says there isn't, but obviously you know better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
ska face
July 27, 2018, 7:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,549
Gold Stars: 838
Morning John.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Youngy
July 27, 2018, 8:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from wormy
He was very keen to let us know exactly how little he earned in his last two years but not so keen to let us know about his previous very lucrative contracts (for that era) awarded to him. A legend of course but no right to be given a job at the club unless he was the best candidate for the job. His track record is not good since leaving Town but all the best to him

Easy to also forget the club gave him a second testimonial during the run up to the Newcastle league cup game and stated stub holders would get priority on tickets, assuring a really strong gate and a good pay out for Macca.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
diehardmariner
July 27, 2018, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,406
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from pen penfras

The man himself says there isn't, but obviously you know better.

Well, if the man himself says there isn't, why wouldn't I believe him...
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
1mickylyons
July 27, 2018, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
He gave great service for 20 year`s as a player and he was rewarded with 2 testimonials BOTH were well attended which was his thank you from the fan`s.Personally the best RB I have seen watching Town since 79 and probably the most consistant player in all that time to 7/10 every game. Regards his wages though he signed the contracts so should have been happy with what he was signing if he wasn`t he should have left like other players did that was his choice surely? The stuff that`s gone on since with various jobs Macca has been linked with I have no idea why he hasn`t been successful BUT the opportunities he has been afforded elsewhere he hasn`t ripped up any trees............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John McDermott

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.