Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone else..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 364 Guests

Anyone else..

This thread currently has 10,871 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
LH
July 24, 2018, 12:44am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
...not that arsed that the season starts in less than two weeks? This isn’t a go at Town! Not sure whether the quick turnaround from almost daily football from the World Cup or the best summer in ages is to blame but I reckon I could wait another month for footy.
Private Message
ginnywings
July 24, 2018, 1:03am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I'm struggling for enthusiasm. Last season took it's toll on me, and i really found it a strain to keep going until the end. I've not bought a season ticket, probably won't do now, and for the first time i can remember, i'm not looking forward to the kick off. I'm still ar$ed off at the board bringing back Slade and then sanctioning the sale or transfer of the sides better footballers, and bringing in so many loan players, we couldn't even name them all in the match day squad. Add to that the fiasco of the fans forum, a board member telling the punters to shut up, the whole chicken tray trophy saga and accusations of bullying. The Stevenage thing, the Port Vale game that ended in a near riot, Fentygate tapes, etc etc. I'm sure there's more that i've missed, but years of crap football and all the off field sh1te is starting to take it's toll.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 65
denni266
July 24, 2018, 3:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +635
Gold Stars: 129
Started to get the bug back again at the end of last season , but average signings so far have blunted that  and the money i sort of labeled
for a season ticket has stayed where it has got more interest,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 65
Townee82
July 24, 2018, 6:19am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +87
Can't wait but on holiday the old boot booked during season again , sure she does it on purpose ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 65
Cloudy
July 24, 2018, 6:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Certainly little enthusiasm at present and many of the reasons are detailed in the two OP's on this thread.
The lack of drum banging from the club not just for season tickets, but the new season in general could have improved the situation for me. These days people have lots of other demands on not only their money, but their time. If a business wants your time and money they need to show you why you should give of it.

Got a season ticket, but already know there are at least 6 or 7 home games I will miss but I aren't bothered about it tbh
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 65
diehardmariner
July 24, 2018, 8:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Yeah, got to admit I'm hardly buzzing for the season to start.

I'm not quite in the negative camp but the two pre-season games I've seen so far didn't exactly inspire me.  They probably shouldn't anyway but normally I've had a bit of a buzz from the games, something to make me look forward to the games,  Be it a new signing or the way we've out performed a bigger side, anything really.  This summer we don't really look settled into a system, yet anyway.  Equally so none of our signings are exactly hairs on the back of the neck types either.  I'm not saying we should be signing names we know or crave, that doesn't work more often than not.  The only 'name' we've signed in John Welsh looks a bit flat so far.

I'm sure it'll come good and I can't say I'm concerned for the season. I just expected to be more excited at this point than I actually am.  
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 65
Bigdog
July 24, 2018, 8:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm struggling for enthusiasm. Last season took it's toll on me, and i really found it a strain to keep going until the end. I've not bought a season ticket, probably won't do now, and for the first time i can remember, i'm not looking forward to the kick off. I'm still ar$ed off at the board bringing back Slade and then sanctioning the sale or transfer of the sides better footballers, and bringing in so many loan players, we couldn't even name them all in the match day squad. Add to that the fiasco of the fans forum, a board member telling the punters to shut up, the whole chicken tray trophy saga and accusations of bullying. The Stevenage thing, the Port Vale game that ended in a near riot, Fentygate tapes, etc etc. I'm sure there's more that i've missed, but years of crap football and all the off field sh1te is starting to take it's toll.

It's a horrible feeling Ginny. I've got enthusiasm for the management team and I've got enthusiasm for the players but I've got nothing but contempt for the people who run the club and how they go about things. They have ground me down to a point where I can't see a bright long term future for the club I love. They've been in charge far too long doing the same awful things and openly very unapologetic about it as if they're the best thing that's happened to the club and we the fans are far too thick to see it. One appearance in the third round of the FA Cup and not a single finish above 14th in the fourth tier of English football since 2006 and the total lack of new investment or progress on the new stadium tells me all I need to know about their performance without listing gaffe after gaffe or lecture after lecture. I'm beyond bored and frustrated with the lack of off-field progression. Makes me so conflicted when I think of GTFC as a whole.

Having said that, just ordered my i-follow for the season as Jolley and the team deserve my support from afar.. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 65
jonnyboy82
July 24, 2018, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
A really good couple of signings would do the trick for me.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 65
Heisenberg
July 24, 2018, 8:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Other than buying the new shirt, I've not really thought about the new season at all.  I'll admit I'm still suffering from a World Cup hangover.  I LOVED the World Cup, loved the fact that the England team (that I personally had faith in when most didn't) did well (even though we should have made the final), and I'm still not over it.  It's still raw for me, and this season is coming too fast, I'm just not ready for 9 months of League 2 toil again.

Having said that, I'll jolt out of my malaise pretty soon, and hopefully some good results will do the same to most fans.

I think the lack of a big signing has done for most fans' enthusiasm.

Having said this, lets all be grateful this isn't another Conference season ahead of us!  How Wrexham fans feel nowadays, for example, I just don't know.  6 years was bad enough.  Never again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 65
Gaffer58
July 24, 2018, 10:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
With me it's the trepidation off having another crap season, at least if it hasn't started we are not fighting a relegation battle, on the other hand, we could storm the league so bring it on. Just wish I had a crystal ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 65
ROKERITE
July 24, 2018, 10:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +414
Gold Stars: 5
It's said the advantage of being a pessimist is it's a pleasant surprise when things turn out well.
The apparent low expectations mean you'll enjoy the play-off challenge even more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 65
1mickylyons
July 24, 2018, 11:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from ginnywings

All I can say mate is 2 year deals for player`s that the sign you should take notice of IMHO.Get that ticket the good times are set to roll again.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 65
Jarmo.Is.God
July 24, 2018, 11:29am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
I get a lot of comments, and England did very well and won over the majority of the country during the world cup.

But there is still nothing better than a visit to Blundell Park to watch the mighty mariners for me, I love it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 65
grimsby pete
July 24, 2018, 11:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
What you have to do is compare who the manager was at the start of last season,

Look at the players he brought in with some of the dross he inherited ,

Then look at the squad we have now under Jolley,

Things are only going to get better .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 65
LH
July 24, 2018, 11:37am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Quoted from 1mickylyons

All I can say mate is 2 year deals for player`s that the sign you should take notice of IMHO.Get that ticket the good times are set to roll again.UTM

We gave two year deals to Scott Vernon and Paul Dixon in the previous two seasons.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 65
Roast Em Bobby
July 24, 2018, 11:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,706
Gold Stars: 43
I think our signings have been better than could have been expected, personally can’t wait for the first game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 65
rancido
July 24, 2018, 12:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
I can't wait for the season to start which is the complete opposite to the start of last season! MJ showed last season that although he couldn't "polish a turd" at least he could put a bit of a shine on one! He has shown all the indications of a manager who has a game plan and also has another if things aren't going to plan. The players he released are pretty much what I expected and the ones brought in all have either experience or the potential to be real assets. It doesn't bother me that there are no " big name " signings so far as I believe that a well drilled team is the way forward. Quite often "prima donnas " can interrupt the changing room character.

Roll on  a week on Saturday and Village Green Rovers - Up The Mariners.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 65
Bigdog
July 24, 2018, 12:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Heisenberg
Other than buying the new shirt, I've not really thought about the new season at all.  I'll admit I'm still suffering from a World Cup hangover.  I LOVED the World Cup, loved the fact that the England team (that I personally had faith in when most didn't) did well (even though we should have made the final), and I'm still not over it.  It's still raw for me, and this season is coming too fast, I'm just not ready for 9 months of League 2 toil again.

Having said that, I'll jolt out of my malaise pretty soon, and hopefully some good results will do the same to most fans.

I think the lack of a big signing has done for most fans' enthusiasm.

Having said this, lets all be grateful this isn't another Conference season ahead of us!  How Wrexham fans feel nowadays, for example, I just don't know.  6 years was bad enough.  Never again.

I'll never be grateful to anyone at GTFC for not being a non-league club. Thankful to Jolley for his heroics, but grateful to no-one. For a club of our stature, potential and income, we've flirted far too long with that embarrassment..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 65
Garth
July 24, 2018, 12:44pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Bring it on! starting tonight
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 65
the driver
July 24, 2018, 4:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Unfortunately I’m with Ginny on this but for me it’s the Slade factor and yes I know I should give myself a kick up the backside ,as things are at moment my plan is to see how things go and may buy a season ticket again at Xmas .I know MJ is saying all the right things and hopefully brought in better players but we’ll see ,my main focus is my grandson who has been accepted for GTFC futsal scholarship and always be a town fan as I have since 1962 but this season pick the match I want to attend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 65
Heisenberg
July 24, 2018, 4:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Bigdog

I'll never be grateful to anyone at GTFC for not being a non-league club. Thankful to Jolley for his heroics, but grateful to no-one. For a club of our stature and income, we've flirted far too long with that embarrassment..

Well yes, I do concur. The worrying thing for me is that the longer we stay in League 2, the more likely a return to non-League becomes. Until we’re a safe bet in League One, I’ll always be looking over my shoulder knowing it could happen again.  It really was shameful being down there, and to think we were so close last season makes me feel ill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 65
Badger57
July 24, 2018, 6:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Well I'm optimistic! OK, there's been no marquee signings but who wants a prima dona anyway?Shame about the lad from Lincoln for sure but I'm going to the match tonight with hope in my heart that I'll see a few glimpses of something to get excited about this season under a manager who likes to play football the way I like to see it played! UTFM! 😁
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 65
thefish
July 24, 2018, 8:10pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from LH
...not that arsed that the season starts in less than two weeks? This isn’t a go at Town! Not sure whether the quick turnaround from almost daily football from the World Cup or the best summer in ages is to blame but I reckon I could wait another month for footy.

You’re that ‘not-arsed’ about the season/ more football starting, that you’re spending a glorious sunny day not at the beach, not in a beer garden, but instead on a football forum posting new threads about the upcoming season...

Maybe you care more than you realise!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
July 24, 2018, 8:11pm
Guest User
I go to watch GTFC  team play. Win draw or lose its my team, there is nothing I can do about that.   I would buy a ST but as an exile I miss just too many to make it viable. I buy shirts each season, I buy programmes each game seen, I have bought none profit shares in my team to help them. As we all know Fenty does not get in the team  so what's people's problem with supporting the team anyway we can. Always still going on about Fenty been a reason for not going or not  renewing a ST is a cop out , your not hurting him just the club. MJ  is a potential God send but he needs our help . Let's be positive for once and look forward to a good season. UTM.
Reply: 23 - 65
rancido
July 24, 2018, 8:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from the driver
Unfortunately I’m with Ginny on this but for me it’s the Slade factor and yes I know I should give myself a kick up the backside ,as things are at moment my plan is to see how things go and may buy a season ticket again at Xmas .I know MJ is saying all the right things and hopefully brought in better players but we’ll see ,my main focus is my grandson who has been accepted for GTFC futsal scholarship and always be a town fan as I have since 1962 but this season pick the match I want to attend

I know what you mean and I certainly didn't want him back. But there was a lot of fans and posters on here who were pleased JF brought him back -  an experienced steady hand who would steady the ship.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
SteffiMariner
July 24, 2018, 8:20pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
balderdash to all this negative excrement. I can't wait for the new season. Clean slate for everyone, hopefully a lot of victories to look forward to, and if not, so what?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
Cloudy
July 25, 2018, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 140348
I go to watch GTFC  team play. Win draw or lose its my team, there is nothing I can do about that.   I would buy a ST but as an exile I miss just too many to make it viable. I buy shirts each season, I buy programmes each game seen, I have bought none profit shares in my team to help them. As we all know Fenty does not get in the team  so what's people's problem with supporting the team anyway we can. Always still going on about Fenty been a reason for not going or not  renewing a ST is a cop out , your not hurting him just the club. MJ  is a potential God send but he needs our help . Let's be positive for once and look forward to a good season. UTM.

I buy my season ticket inspite of Fenty not because of him!

Surely its not about hurting Fenty it is more about helping their own sanity, moral compass and peace of mind?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
pizzzza
July 25, 2018, 10:34am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Yep, looking forward to it. Season ticket renewed, new shirt bought, the only negative for me is that I'll miss the first game due to holidays... have we ever started a season as early as 4th August? Bad planning there I'll admit...

Anyway, I think this season can go any number of ways, and I genuinely have no idea which. Lets hope its a good'un!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
Les Brechin
July 25, 2018, 10:47am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from pizzzza
Yep, looking forward to it. Season ticket renewed, new shirt bought, the only negative for me is that I'll miss the first game due to holidays... have we ever started a season as early as 4th August? Bad planning there I'll admit...

Anyway, I think this season can go any number of ways, and I genuinely have no idea which. Lets hope its a good'un!

I don't think so. Not whilst I've been going anyway I don't think.

The reason I'm fairly sure about this is that 4th August is my birthday and it's the first time that there has been a league game on my birthday.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
GYinScuntland
July 25, 2018, 12:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from thefish

You’re that ‘not-arsed’ about the season/ more football starting, that you’re spending a glorious sunny day not at the beach, not in a beer garden, but instead on a football forum posting new threads about the upcoming season...

Maybe you care more than you realise!

You do realise that you can post on the Fishy from anywhere in the world?
If you can be arsed.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
Cod Cheeks
July 25, 2018, 1:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +374
Can't wait
Played well last night and tried to play decent football
Bring it on!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
marinerdazza
July 25, 2018, 1:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
My 8 year old has just had his first World Cup and this is his first season ticket. He is off-the-wall crackers about football in general and cannot wait until the Forest Green game. My feelings don't come into it at all. Nevertheless, I'm reasonably optimistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
grimsby pete
July 25, 2018, 1:30pm

Exile
I hope the ones saying I am not renewing my season ticket dont come on here saying I can not get a ticket for the 5th round FA Cup tie at home to Man Utd.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
the driver
July 25, 2018, 3:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
I hope the ones saying I am not renewing my season ticket dont come on here saying I can not get a ticket for the 5th round FA Cup tie at home to Man Utd.

I for one will not going watch any Premiership teams at home or away I have no time at all for the lot of them can’t remember the last time I watched any of them on tv to be fair the England semi was the first match I had watched in the World Cup so not for me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Cloudy
July 25, 2018, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from the driver

I for one will not going watch any Premiership teams at home or away I have no time at all for the lot of them can’t remember the last time I watched any of them on tv to be fair the England semi was the first match I had watched in the World Cup so not for me

Surely you go to support Town not their opponents?
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
Roast Em Bobby
July 25, 2018, 4:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from the driver

I always find it strange when people say this kind of thing. Must mean that you support your club but don’t actually like to see football being played at the highest level of skill and pace. Personally I love the game itself even more than my club.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
chicaneuk
July 25, 2018, 4:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 5
The time with Slade came close to destroying my interest in the club frankly, just because whilst he was making a complete hash of things on the pitch, the club seemed so determined to burn every bridge possible with fans as well.. the stuff with Fenty, the fans forum, etc were so apalling I couldn't even believe what I was seeing. It really was astoundingly confusing period, especially coming in off the high of promotion and everything that went with that - I just frequently found myself watching in disbelief and thinking "How the f@cking hell did we end up here?!"

But honestly the appointment of Jolley, the massive turn around in form towards the end of the last season, some great signings over the break, have really rekindled the enthusiasm for me and I'm pretty excited to see where the forthcoming season takes us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
thefish
July 25, 2018, 5:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from GYinScuntland

You do realise that you can post on the Fishy from anywhere in the world?
If you can be arsed.  

Touché... (from Thefish in Newcastle)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
sydney
July 25, 2018, 5:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Last Season Was a Disaster and could have been worse if MJ had not seemingly instilled some belief in the squad
He kept us up and the squads confidence seemed to change in front of our eyes
But not wanting to heap pressure on the squad it’s all about these first 6 or so games
I will be there for all inc Macc Away and MK away and hope to see a continuation of the last few games of last season
This is MJ,s team and management and he has had all summer with them
If we start well,  say win 2 of the first 3 games and actually win a cup game to progress to second rd and we can see a style of play that looks promising then I think we will all feel far more positive than the original post on this thread suggests (and I understand the post)
I really don’t want us to look clueless and lacking in any ideas as we may start to get a bit downbeat quite quick
Think MJ has done a great job in improving PR but his full focus will be needed on the players and pitch and it is up to others in the running of the club to follow MJ example
Come on Town get past this Banana Skin 1st game V FGR with a sound home win and we are on our way..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
KingstonMariner
July 25, 2018, 6:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Why is it a banana skin game Syd? FGR have a big budget. Probably bigger than ours. They're not a minnow.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
July 25, 2018, 6:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from sydney
it’s all about these first 6 or so games

Rubbish!  It's about the season as a whole!  I will be well happy if we finish the season in a reasonable position in League 2, absolutely delighted if we get into the play-offs and if we finish in the bottom half of the League but still stay up, I will be happy.  

Reply: 40 - 65
the driver
July 25, 2018, 7:43pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I always find it strange when people say this kind of thing. Must mean that you support your club but don’t actually like to see football being played at the highest level of skill and pace. Personally I love the game itself even more than my club.

Also the diving,cheats the falling down as if there was a sniper in the stand unfortunately it spreading to the lower divisions one thing I can say about GTFC players I honestly believe would not consider to be cheats unlike many teams in the lower division that I have seen many teams last season at BP can I just say I have watched football since 1962 and was sat a Wembley in 1966 when money did not rule football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 65
sydney
July 25, 2018, 8:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Only that we have beaten them last 3 times out and some fans might be expecting a home banker win, this will not be the case
if we do well 1st 6 games its a massive boost in confidence for all of us and a solid base for the rest of the season
generally teams that start well go onto do well for the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 65
Civvy at last
July 25, 2018, 8:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
For me, the most important thing about the forthcoming season will be news (one way or another) about the new ground. We can have reasonable success on the pitch, but we NEED to move forward off it. MJ has definitely given us a buzz. Good news on the ground front would be the icing on the cake. I’d settle for top half with a mini cup run to boost the coffers, a shovel planted to actually start the new stadium and Dembele earning a huge sell on at end of season.  Should I be drinking Carlsberg??

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 65
Roast Em Bobby
July 25, 2018, 8:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from the driver

Also the diving,cheats the falling down as if there was a sniper in the stand unfortunately it spreading to the lower divisions one thing I can say about GTFC players I honestly believe would not consider to be cheats unlike many teams in the lower division that I have seen many teams last season at BP can I just say I have watched football since 1962 and was sat a Wembley in 1966 when money did not rule football

Did you complain when Cardwell did the most blatant dive ever away at Swindon to win us a penalty?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 65
grimsby pete
July 25, 2018, 8:39pm

Exile
Quoted from the driver

I would pay to see the look on their managers face when we beat them,

The next day he becomes the latest Grim Reaper victim  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 65
Badger57
July 25, 2018, 8:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,902
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from Les Brechin

I don't think so. Not whilst I've been going anyway I don't think.

The reason I'm fairly sure about this is that 4th August is my birthday and it's the first time that there has been a league game on my birthday.

Last year v Chesterfield was only 2 days later on 6th August. I remember because the win was a very nice birthday present for me!
Hope yours is as happy this year Les! 😀

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 65
Croxton
July 25, 2018, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
I missed so many games over the years through work, being an exile, taking kids to clubs, swimming, camping, running junior football teams etc. that I feel I am catching up on lost time somewhat.
Loved my weekend in the Cotswolds to end the season on a high and see no reason not to be optimistic with preparations so far.

Carpe Diem and Gerrintoum!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 65
promotion plaice
July 25, 2018, 10:17pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189

I have no expectations this season.......I'm no expert on systems/formations but I can slightly see what Jolley is trying to do, let's just hope he has got the players to bring it off.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 65
newarkmariner
July 25, 2018, 10:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +5 / -4
Approval: +751
I personally cant wait for the 4th,my expectations are so so at best, I think we will have a far better season than last without really threatening the top 7,which for me is ok because its a case off slowly slowly catchy monkey, we've got to understand that as far as budgets go we are no where near the biggest , but I am impressed with what MJ has brought to the club so far ,matched with the players that he got playing so well at the end off last season we have to have optimism,
As the some saying that the Slade/fenty effect has soured there desire ,well those times have gone,yes Fenty is still there but he has thankfully taken a backward step from the limelight(were he should remain) . I go to BP to cheer on my team I don't give a fook who sits in the directors box while the game is on and wont cut my own nose off to spite my face so come a week Saturday I will as ever drive the 106 mile round trip as I do every home game to continue riding  the roller coaster that is a GTFC.Now put your hatred for Fenty to one side forget the nightmare that was Slade and Wilkinson(wa@kers) and get behind the lads, because you never know it could turn out brilliant and then you will feel like a proper twit if you've missed out.UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 65
Mrs Doyle
July 26, 2018, 4:48am
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +4,859
I am hoping Jolley can continue where he left off.

He has assembled a decent set of players that look fitter and faster than the last squad and with the same work ethic should hold our own.

Could have done with a proven goal scorer even from the conf but from what I have seen in the friendly matches we look more like a footballing side.

Our passing and movement look a lot sharper let's hope we continue to surprise a few people our home form looked a lot brighter since Jolley took over.

Anything is better than last season looking forward to it, no stupid red cards this time the start of last season was ridiculous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
Mrs Doyle
July 26, 2018, 4:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Why is it a banana skin game Syd? FGR have a big budget. Probably bigger than ours. They're not a minnow.

Agree FGR are being bankrolled their gates are nowhere near the amount needed to fund that squad that is the problem you face.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
Zmariner
July 26, 2018, 10:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,067
Completely looking forward to new season 100%
Expect top half season , a big striker could help but otherwise what’s not to like utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
TheCodfather1966
July 26, 2018, 6:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Very pleased the season is close by now, but sadly zero expectation levels, and fear we could be in for another very hard season.  We have clearly not strengthened much, and this is not the squad building of a team looking to challenge for promotion, merely a team looking to keep hold of their place in the EFL.  Expect a rocky ride, life as a Town fan is seldom an easy one.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
Cloudy
July 26, 2018, 6:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Very pleased the season is close by now, but sadly zero expectation levels, and fear we could be in for another very hard season.  We have clearly not strengthened much, and this is not the squad building of a team looking to challenge for promotion, merely a team looking to keep hold of their place in the EFL.  Expect a rocky ride, life as a Town fan is seldom an easy one.

UTM

Troll
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
Mighty_Mariner
July 26, 2018, 8:25pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from TheCodfather1966

UTM

Killip - Russell
Clarke - Davis
Sawyer/Keeble - Whitmore
Osborne - Famewo
Summerfield - Whitehouse
McCallister - Welsh
Berrett - Hessenthaler
Vernon - Vernham
McShefferey - Cook

We've also.managed to retain the services of the very  influencial James Mckeown and Danny Collins, handed out multi-year deals to exciting young players in Clifton, Wright and Rose and have some outstanding talent coming through the under 18's right now!

You wouldn't class the above as strengthening? Wow!

What exactly are/were your expectations given our budget?

I actually think we've strengthened in every single department and are only really missing cover at full back and a recognised striker, which I'm 100% confident in MJ delivering.

You're also missing perhaps the biggest area of change and what may yield the largest impact...

Slade & Wilko - Jolly, Limbrick, Forest

We now have a very strong, progressive and fresh-thinking,  young management/coaching team that I believe will take Town to the next level and beyond, whether that be this season or next!

I guess you can always please everyone but your above statement leads me to believe you're either a professional pessimist, a troll or you know absolutely zilch about football!

Which one is it?

#UTM

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
hheh2
July 26, 2018, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
^ This

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
acko338
July 26, 2018, 8:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Wherever the team finish this season, the style will have changed for the better.

Fitter, faster, younger in the most part, and no journey men.

For the 1st time in several seasons, it looks like a solid competitive midfield. The defence looks to be much more mobile and organised and with perhaps one more addition has full cover in place.

Up front will be the teaser with no proven 20 goal scorer yet to emerge.

So let the season commence  and good luck to those who get to wear the shirts against FGR.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
jamesgtfc
July 26, 2018, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Killip - Russell
Clarke - Davis
Sawyer/Keeble - Whitmore
Osborne - Famewo
Summerfield - Whitehouse
McCallister - Welsh
Berrett - Hessenthaler
Vernon - Vernham
McShefferey - Cook

Put like that it is hard for anyone to disagree!

MJ has addressed the midfield and given how poor last season was, being hard to beat will see us finish comfortably in mid-table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
Civvy at last
July 26, 2018, 8:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,200
Gold Stars: 131
[quote

I guess you can always please everyone but your above statement leads me to believe you're either a professional pessimist, a troll or you know absolutely zilch about football!

Which one is it?

#UTM[/quote]

Why ask which ‘one’.?

I would suggest all three !!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 65
devon mariner
July 26, 2018, 9:20pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
Looking forward to the 4th. 700 mile round trip from torquay.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 65
bobbyturtle
July 26, 2018, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
anyone else notice that ...
all new players on their new interviews that they ...were/said
*want to work hard
*want to enjoy playing
*excited
*move here
*expect club to go places
*love the fans

etc

cant wait

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 65
Mighty_Mariner
July 26, 2018, 10:45pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from devon mariner
Looking forward to the 4th. 700 mile round trip from torquay.

Love that commitment 👏

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 65
KingstonMariner
July 26, 2018, 10:53pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from bobbyturtle
anyone else notice that ...
all new players on their new interviews that they ...were/said
*want to work hard
*want to enjoy playing
*excited
*move here
*expect club to go places
*love the fans

etc

cant wait

Hmmm. All of them said that? Nothing strike you as a trifle formulaic?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 65
Madeleymariner
July 27, 2018, 1:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hmmm. All of them said that? Nothing strike you as a trifle formulaic?

No trifle formula is more like fruit/jelly/sponge fingers/cold custard and cream.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 65
mimma
July 27, 2018, 2:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
I've always had a season ticket. Under Slade I went out of duty rather than wanting to go. I never really looked forward to going.

But under Mr Jolley, I have that sense of excitement back and now can't wait to take my seat again in the lower Findus (or whatever it's called this season.)

For me, it's not just the changes to the team and the players he's brought in. It's the changes that have been made off the pitch that have dragged us into the modern footballing world, making the players fitter, faster and more switched on. Added to that is the attitude towards the younger players. They now have a genuine chance of getting in the first team like Harry Clifton.

Can't wait!!!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 65
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Anyone else..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.