BottesfordMariner
July 23, 2018, 8:43pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Cloudy
Had heard that Ben Davies was also signing for Clee Town. Don't know if that has gone cold because I did hear this 2-3 weeks ago

My immediate thought is no way. i thought he was good enough to offer a 1 yr deal from us. He could still pay some L2 and certainly National League level. Still at his age too good for Clee's level imo.

But he is 37 and is perhaps thinking beyond his professional playing days. His wife is from this area which was probably a major reason he joined the Mariners in the first place so he is maybe looking to settle here with his family long term after football.  There aren't an abundance of L2 or higher level non league sides close to home. Maybe Clee does make sense?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Father Christmas
July 23, 2018, 8:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -10
CHDAJATL?

Was always planning on retiring at the end of his contract with us. He lives locally and has settled into the area with his family. Also done a plumbing qualification and on his days off  from training was working with local plumbers to gain experience.

So part time football will fit in nicely with his new career, good luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Northbank Mariner
July 23, 2018, 8:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Oh c'mon, lets get real, Vernon was slaughtered by town fans being awful as a striker so why are you saying he could have played at a higher level than cleethorpes town??...Imo he's probably now at a level where he may be okay, but to be brutal he was never going to get a club at a higher level with his record in front of goal whilst wearing a GTFC shirt...which at best was bloody dreadful....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2018, 8:56pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from jamesgtfc
South Shields had Julio Arca last season albeit the level above Clee. Clee obviously don't have the best team at that level or else they would have gone up last season but you would be surprised at some of the quality in those leagues.

Michael Coulson was playing at Scarborough last season which is only one level higher too. Ross Hannah is at Gainsborough which is one level above too. Liam Hearn plays for Basford. Unsure how they finished last season but they were in the same league as Clee last season.

They were at the same level when Arca played for SS at first.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
KingstonMariner
July 23, 2018, 8:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The thing that surprised me most was that Manchester is in Greater Manchester. Who'd have thought it eh? Next they'll be telling us that London is in Greater London.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
BottesfordMariner
July 23, 2018, 9:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Oh c'mon, lets get real, Vernon was slaughtered by town fans being awful as a striker so why are you saying he could have played at a higher level than cleethorpes town??...Imo he's probably now at a level where he may be okay, but to be brutal he was never going to get a club at a higher level with his record in front of goal whilst wearing a GTFC shirt...which at best was bloody dreadful....

Yes Vernon got plenty of criticism during his time at Town. His scoring record here was terrible. Other parts of his game were ok at times. He has played over 450 senior games mainly L1 and SPL and he has dropped 4 levels. Its a big drop so yes he could have done a job a league or two higher imo.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 23, 2018, 9:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Good luck to him

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
sam gy
July 23, 2018, 9:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Fair play and good luck to him. He has played most of his career in a higher league than Grimsby Town, although his best years were behind him when he came to us.

Fair play to him because he actually did the thing that so many have criticised players for in the past- he actually moved, and settled, in the area. Obviously he’s got young kids, a family, and they’re settled. He’s not going to get a decent enough contract to uproot again at this stage of his career, even if he would’ve got offers from higher up. I imagine he’s doing other work, or studying or whatever whilst still playing for Clee.

Definetly wouldn’t rule out Ben Davies doing the same as I know he’s settled too.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Lincspoacher
July 23, 2018, 9:39pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 15
I see this as more a signing of intent by Clee Town than lack of ambition by Vernon.

Clee have a solid funding stream through their club and bar, string sponsorship and a new ground. Definite ambition and some potential for a national League 1 within 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Cloudy
July 23, 2018, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Lincspoacher
I see this as more a signing of intent by Clee Town than lack of ambition by Vernon.

Clee have a solid funding stream through their club and bar, string sponsorship and a new ground. Definite ambition and some potential for a national League 1 within 5 years.

It's great that Clee have their own ground and bar but it isn't a goldmine by any str tech. Yes every little helps but the profits on a few pints of Carling isn't going to go very far
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Clee FC,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.