Jarmo.Is.God
July 23, 2018, 9:42am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
What are your expectations this season?

I just feel that the expectations are very unrealistic and Jolley's hard work last season will bite him on the bum with some of our fans.

Success doesn't happen overnight, he has lost/released 14 players.
The squad last season was arguably the worst many of us will ever remember, and sorting it out will take more than 1 transfer window.

He has 100% moved us in the right direction.
The squad age is younger
The squad size is smaller

When the billionaires bought man city in 2008, it took them 3 seasons to win the title which was the aim.
That might sound total irrelevant as we have a new manager, not a new owner, but it takes time to turn a rubbish/average squad into a good squad

For me, I will take mid-table, and then build on for next season.

Just hope when we go 5 games without winning in the season, or 3 losses on a bounce, the fans stick with the team and Jolley and don't instantly want him out

The future's bright under Jolley
Logged Offline
Private Message
TAGG
July 23, 2018, 9:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
It would be great to end up with a promotion push this season but if we finish mid table with a bit of a cup run,  playing a style of football that can get the fans excited and then build on that for promotion the following season that would do me.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
ginnywings
July 23, 2018, 10:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Got no expectations, other than we give it everything and hopefully play a brand of football that get's you out of your seat occasionally. We should be able to compete in this league, given our resources. Other than that, i have no idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
MuddyWaters
July 23, 2018, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
I expect us to have a better season than last year in that we appear to be signing players who genuinely seem to want to be here. What 'better' means is another thing - let's just back the manager & players and enjoy the ride!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
marinerdazza
July 23, 2018, 10:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
What TAGG said really. Mid table, some decent football, and drama provided by a modest cup run rather than a relegation fight would do me nicely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Cloudy
July 23, 2018, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
What are your expectations this season?

I just feel that the expectations are very unrealistic

Dont think there are huge expectations to be honest. Early days but the posts so far would seem to back that up.

Mid table ish for me too but would be delighted if we do better
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
psgmariner
July 23, 2018, 10:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Lower half for me. At the moment.

We’ve kept more than I would have liked of one of our worst ever squads and have made some underwhelming signings so far. We have also missed out on some of our main transfer targets by the sounds of things.

That said, it’s very early and the squad is not yet complete. We desperately need at least 1 decent striker as it’s clear that the current squad lacks goals.

If we sign Vernam and another top quality striker I would hope mid table or even a flirtation with the playoffs is possible.

Worth remembering that every year someone posts a preview of the season that predicts Town won’t do as well as we hope. Every year it gets hammered and most years it turns out to be correct. Have to look at these things as a neutral. Our signings so far have been well below those of our some of our rivals.

Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
marinerdazza
July 23, 2018, 10:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,780
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from psgmariner

We’ve kept more than I would have liked of one of our worst ever squads

I'm going to put my neck on the line and suggest that Mitch Rose and JJ Hooper will be different players this season.

Agree that we've obviously missed out on a couple of players though. And Whitehouse is a huge blow - think we were expecting 10 goals plus from him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
chaos33
July 23, 2018, 10:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,867
Gold Stars: 353
What Ginny said.

I hope we can be competitive and make some sort of a play off push, but that's a hope not an expectation.

I'll be happy if we improve upon last season, like most have said.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Mariner93er
July 23, 2018, 10:29am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I have hope over expectation that we can edge to the top half of the table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
ginnywings
July 23, 2018, 11:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from psgmariner
Lower half for me. At the moment.

We’ve kept more than I would have liked of one of our worst ever squads and have made some underwhelming signings so far. We have also missed out on some of our main transfer targets by the sounds of things.

That said, it’s very early and the squad is not yet complete. We desperately need at least 1 decent striker as it’s clear that the current squad lacks goals.

If we sign Vernam and another top quality striker I would hope mid table or even a flirtation with the playoffs is possible.

Worth remembering that every year someone posts a preview of the season that predicts Town won’t do as well as we hope. Every year it gets hammered and most years it turns out to be correct. Have to look at these things as a neutral. Our signings so far have been well below those of our some of our rivals.

Underwhelming why?

I sometimes wonder who fans think we should be signing, given our current position and fan base. We are shopping in a certain kind of market and looking for overlooked gems and players like Collins and Welsh who are coming to the ends of their careers, but still have something to offer. It's up to the manager to mould them into team able to compete. MJ has shown so far that he is capable of that. He's also not going to get us where he wants us in 1 transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Garth
July 23, 2018, 12:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
In a way its nice to go into a season not expecting much more than treading water, we could finish like Accrington Stanley who would have thought that.
Pressure is on the big money teams like Lincoln, MKD and Oldham they will need to see something for there investments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Cloudy
July 23, 2018, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Garth
In a way its nice to go into a season not expecting much more than treading water, we could finish like Accrington Stanley who would have thought that.
Pressure is on the big money teams like Lincoln, MKD and Oldham they will need to see something for there investments

Oldham?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
psgmariner
July 23, 2018, 3:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ginnywings

Underwhelming why?

Their previous careers mainly.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
July 23, 2018, 5:05pm
Guest User
After the Sladeball we endured for a large part of last season, I want us to play the right way, the Grimsby way. That will be huge for me as despite being a season ticket holder it was too much of a chore to watch us kick off and launch the ball out for a throw in deep in their half, I must admit to staying away for a few games.

League position wise, I will not accept anything other than the play offs. It's only league two, we are certainly one of the seven biggest clubs in the division so I see no reason why we should accept any less. It's a clean slate now, I have faith in Michael Jolley and his backroom team, less faith in the board but as long as they stay out of the football side of things and back MJ off the pitch thus enabling him to succeed then we will have every chance. Need a strong start for a change, could also do with that elusive centre forward with an eye for goal.
Reply: 14 - 25
Cloudy
July 23, 2018, 5:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 75
After the Sladeball we endured for a large part of last season, I want us to play the right way, the Grimsby way. That will be huge for me as despite being a season ticket holder it was too much of a chore to watch us kick off and launch the ball out for a throw in deep in their half, I must admit to staying away for a few games.

League position wise, I will not accept anything other than the play offs. It's only league two, we are certainly one of the seven biggest clubs in the division so I see no reason why we should accept any less. It's a clean slate now, I have faith in Michael Jolley and his backroom team, less faith in the board but as long as they stay out of the football side of things and back MJ off the pitch thus enabling him to succeed then we will have every chance. Need a strong start for a change, could also do with that elusive centre forward with an eye for goal.

Doubt we have a top 7 budget tbh. Maybe top 10 in crowds potentially but with no additional investment we can be outspent. Add this to our geographical position and we are really a midtable outfit imo.

We could have additional spending with the right leadership but that doesnt seem to be happening for the forseeable
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
LongEatonMariner
July 23, 2018, 6:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from LongEatonMariner
I struggle to separate hopes from expectation at times like this ....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
grimsby pete
July 23, 2018, 6:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
At this moment in time I think we will finish just outside the play offs,

With a couple of good signings ( fingers crossed ) play offs at least,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
HackneyHaddock
July 23, 2018, 11:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Realistically, mid-table is reasonable.  We finished 18th last season after a 20-game winless streak, so even 3 or four more wins would put us mid-table.  Of course, it also depends on how the other teams have come on.

Last season, Accrington improved from 13th (one place above us) to 1st.  Notts County went 16th to 5th.  Lincoln from Conference to 7th.  I don't think any of them had massively overhauled their squads from the previous season, so maybe there's something to be said for a manager evolving their squad and getting the most out of a group.  So I'm not saying it's beyond possibility that we could make a play-off charge.

That said, iff you were a fan of another team in the league, you'd probably place us in the bunch of teams (along with the likes of Crewe, Cheltenham, Crawley, Newport, Stevenage) bumping around the 12-18th slots, but with the potential to go higher if they get a run going, so mid table about fair.

I think at the bottom, Yeovil and Morecambe could find it tough, and we don't yet know how Macclesfield will cope given their difficulties.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
1mickylyons
July 24, 2018, 11:23am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
I have bought a season ticket after not renewing under Slade.I think MJ is a breath of fresh air and expect us to surprise a few with a strong start and think we will end comfortably top half/play offs.Loving the 2 year deals it says the board are confident in what MJ wants to do and I like the look of the younger team etc.I am really looking forward to this Season.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Bigdog
July 26, 2018, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Looking at the squad we've assembled so far, I think we lack a bit of depth in quality in certain areas to be outright promotion contenders. One or two key players pick up injuries or suspensions and I think we may be a bit light.

Two or three more quality signings, a left sided wing back definitely, a central midfielder probably and/or striker and I can't see us finishing outside the top ten..

Whether we get them or still have budget left is the big question. If permanent targets are missed, maybe we'll dabble in the loan market when teams higher up the pyramid finally complete their transfer business..

Injury crisis apart, still can't see us finishing in the bottom half, even if we don't make another signing..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
buckstown
July 26, 2018, 10:53pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
What gives me hope is that in December last season we were on the edge of the play offs despite being very very average and unable to score.
It seems MJ has added more quality, greater motivational skills and more tactical awareness. If we can get a striker in we can achieve my first objective with a degree of comfort - better than last year
After that it could be fun!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
chicaneuk
July 27, 2018, 8:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
Honestly, I'd just take us being comfortable... strong mid-table to outside the playoffs. With the aim of just building a stable, core squad and taking that into the following season and having a serious chance of promotion to league one. But I've voted for play-offs as I'd like to think that was achievable this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Garth
July 27, 2018, 9:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I voted mid table but in football nothing surprises me, too well organised this season to struggle lower mid table, but under the present regime playoff push after Xmas is a possibility.

As long as we finish a place or two above the Chelts and Veggie boys I will be happy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
dapperz fun pub
July 27, 2018, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,879
Gold Stars: 82
I voted play offs ... the 2 assistants brought in are doing a great job I’m told , interesting sessions , good communication skills , really passionate basically everything being done is ultra professional for a change that all coupled with MJ guidance .  Also told we will be going for wins not sitting back and hopefully taking the game to the opposition, obviously this means games will be lost due to being more open but on the flip side more games should be won because of our quality... all from a player this before this conversation I would have gone mid table at best but my optimism as grown UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
dicko995
July 27, 2018, 11:20am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
cheaper pints, more meat in the pies, more onions in the burgers, and if that fails,weve always got the football to watch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Expectations

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.