Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan or Supporter??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 266 Guests

Fan or Supporter??

This thread currently has 4,351 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 21, 2018, 10:53am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
I went sparringly as a kid growing up in the 90’s...as despite being born in Grimsby I’ve never lived there. I made 4/5 games a year from 1993 to 1999 then From 99/00 until onwards I’d make half of the home games with my Grandad and then having my own car I had a season ticket from 03/04 to 07/08 and also made a handful of away games.

For the last 10 years I probably make it to 5/6 games a year, despite living in Lincoln I often work Anti-Football hours. I’ve not bought a Town shirt since 2012, I’m a bit bored of the Errea / Young combination. I used to have both home and away every season. I would say I’m a supporter but I’m definitely a part timer these days.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
MarinerMart
July 21, 2018, 11:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
My work mate is a Liverpool 'fan'. I've seen GTFC more times at anfield than he has been there 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
immariner
July 21, 2018, 11:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I am a fan of Man Utd, from being a boy I've enjoyed watching them play from the comfort if my arm chair, never been to Old Trafford.

This, this I can never get my head around. How have you never dropped this perceived attachment that you have? I used to follow Villa as a kid growing up in Immingham, had all their merchandise and everything. Got to about 13/14 (late 90s, when Villa were still pretty decent), realised it was proper flipping daft that I had this meaningless affinity for a football club I had never seen live and had no real connection to. Not long after, I started going to watch Town regularly. Villa are just A.N other football team to me now. I don't get how this journey isn't the same for all people who have a plastic team as a kid, especially if they know better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Mrs Doyle
July 21, 2018, 12:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
ONE CLUB, ONE LOVE. GTFC TIL I DIE.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
Northbank Mariner
July 21, 2018, 12:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from immariner

This, this I can never get my head around. How have you never dropped this perceived attachment that you have? I used to follow Villa as a kid growing up in Immingham, had all their merchandise and everything. Got to about 13/14 (late 90s, when Villa were still pretty decent), realised it was proper flipping daft that I had this meaningless affinity for a football club I had never seen live and had no real connection to. Not long after, I started going to watch Town regularly. Villa are just A.N other football team to me now. I don't get how this journey isn't the same for all people who have a plastic team as a kid, especially if they know better.

Because we are all individuals with differing opinions....I have no perceived affinity to Man Utd, it's just the team I chose to, as someone said earlier, to follow and have never stopped...the club that is and always be in my heart in Grimsby, the one I will support through thick n thin, the ups the downs and unlike some will renew my season ticket until they put the lud on my box!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
Posh Harry
July 21, 2018, 1:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,344
Gold Stars: 34
My Father in Law used to be a wolves season ticket holder. He gave it up when he had kids due to commitment and money.

He now doesn’t even look at their results. He now supports Man Utd from an armchair. Knows nothing about football, hasn’t got a clue.

What does that make him?

A male private.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
grimsby pete
July 21, 2018, 1:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Never been a supporter or fan of any club but Grimsby,

Do not get to many games recently but always buy stuff from the club shop when attending a home game,

I try to get to as many games when Town are down this way,

Players, managers and non chairmen come and go but GTFC is forever.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
BottesfordMariner
July 21, 2018, 1:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I am a fan/supporter (whichever term you want to use) of the Mariners and Manchester City. LIke a lot of kids back then and the same today growing up in a town like this it is commonplace to support your local club and have some kind of affinity to another (dare i say bigger club).

I got my first season ticket as a young lad in the late 70's at BP and from my late teens, when I had the means, became a season ticket holder at City for a decade or more.  I would watch both whenever i could.

Various factors over the years made my visits to Manchester less frequent. Cost, family and life responsibilities etc. More recent times have seen me be a ST holder at  BP again.

Grimsby are my home town club, i grew up the proverbial stone's throw from the ground. I would certainly class GTFC as my main club today. What happens to them is important to me.

I get to City maybe once a season these days. I still love the club and class myself as a fan/supporter but i dont know if its just the Premier League era . the £££ etc but I am maybe not as passionate about the blues today as compared to days gone by. If I lived nearer Manchester that may be different.

I also class myself a fan of Celtic though only go occasionally. I follow Blackpool and Fleetwood because of my late father and do try to get to watch them a couple of times a season when I can but would never miss a Town home match to do so. So would not describe myself as a diehard by nay means.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Gaffer58
July 21, 2018, 2:37pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
If you are Town and also follow a "bigger club" the acid test is if they were playing each other who would you want to win. Say it's 3rd round FA Cup, Town to win as they need the additional revenue from extra games or "bigger club" as they have more chance of going all the way and winning the cup.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Gainsbro_Mariner
July 21, 2018, 2:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from immariner

I agree with this! The amount of times I’ve had excrement from United fans for actually supporting Town is unreal. I probably dislike United more than any of Town’s rivals due to a lifetime of putting up with an abundance of armchair glory hunters from school right through to every work place I’ve been a part of. It’s peoples opinions in what they do and who they support but I’ve always felt supporting a successful Premier League team is such a cop out ! It’s taking the easy way option.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan or Supporter??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.