moosey_club
July 17, 2018, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Well...
First 60 mins...Sunderland a cut above in general play but lacked a real cutting edge. Collins, Whitmore and Famewo held a decent back line, Whitmore impressed more than his last outing, decent in the air and read and swept across where required.
The formation with Fox and Clifton as wing backs didnt necessarily help us going forward, Fox i thought was poor, Clifton played well but just not  wing back, limited when pushing forward but at least he tried.
The midfield trio of Rose , Woolford and Welsh limited, Welsh just isnt mobile, doesnt carry the ball, plays it the way he is facing and has zero speed, marks space really well but not involved enough. Woolford, again not quick, not a tackler, not an aeriel threat..broke forward on a couple of occassions but after 20 yds was running out of steam. Rose the only one who looked strong enough and moved the ball intelligently, linked in with Hooper and Cook
Cook and Hooper worked hard, Hooper is looking pretty confident and happy and they did at least look like they are building a partnership, promising.  
Looked like a 0-0 half despite some half chances, neither keeper really worked....but Fox caught napping and allowed a man to ghost in to score, possibly quesions over Macca as the ball was in the 6 yd box when their guy headed it in.  At the other end their keeper took just about every ball into the box to snuff out any chance of a headed chance.

On 60 mins wholesale changes, 9 subs, took a while for me to figure out who was who, not sure i have yet   ... Midfield trio of  16 Hessentahler ? 17 Flanagan ?  18 O hanlan ?  definately more on the front foot, not so impressed with 18, 17 very busy,covered the round well, forward thinking and some nice passing 16 tidy on the ball, forward thinking mobile . 17/16 with Rose would maybe make a good unit.

Robles worked hard but nothing more, A Rose looks very quick , a nice touch or two but didnt get much to work with..raw as described by MJ..
Dixon and Hall Johnson didnt really improve the wing back formation....Davis didnt particularly keep tabs on him. Max Wright just a brief cameo.

All in all, Hooper, Cook, Rose, Collins, Whitmore and Famewo as the spine looked upto it out of the starting 10 outfield, Flanagan, Hesentahler looked the brightest of the subs...Rose has some potential but we have had a few quick raw players in recent seasons which havnt quite worked, maybe this time it will given a little time and careful handling.

Worries - Welsh, Woolford, Fox and lack of real wing backs to play this formation. Other than Hooper and Cook front line looks light.  Dixon i would maybe use as centre half as opposed to wing back, he looked more at home there last time out.. Famewo looked much more comfortable on the ball and has some pace so could maybe be better suited to the wing back position.  Overall lack of pace also a worry.

UTM

Oh the Cowleys were there on a spying mission....the initialed tracksuit tops didnt exactly hide their identity  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
The Singing Fisherman
July 17, 2018, 11:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
WOW You seem to be a great judge of player after 2 pre season games. Your worried about players this early? give your head a wobble mate. I do what I always do and judge players after at least 10 full season games. Players take time to adapt and gell etc. Pre season is just for Fitness and gelling etc. You cant judge players at this early stage. Give them a chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
moosey_club
July 17, 2018, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
WOW You seem to be a great judge of player after 2 pre season games. Your worried about players this early? give your head a wobble mate. I do what I always do and judge players after at least 10 full season games. Players take time to adapt and gell etc. Pre season is just for Fitness and gelling etc. You cant judge players at this early stage. Give them a chance.

Sometimes you just dont need time to judge  

Always happy to nail my colours to the mast early doors.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Stew0_0
July 17, 2018, 11:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
Famewo looks very handy. Big strong and mobile and not afraid to have the ball even when under pressure so looks a good prospect at centre half. Rest of 1st half was impressed by clifton and Mitch Rose and team deserved to be level at half time.
Second half a raft of changes of which akheem Rose showed glimpses of the skill and pace he possesses but like Jolley says hes still very raw and not ready yet. Of the 2 trialists the only one that showed anything was the ginger lad who again looked comfortable on the ball and came and asked for posession on many occasions.
Dont think we are going to be playing a system that suits Paul Dixon and so would like to see us sign Ali Koiki for that left wing back role. Harry Clifton again showed his flexibilty to play in a number of positions and now looks the part in the mans game leaving the youth behind.
Overall a tight and entertaining game against a team that should still be in the premier league.

Utmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
The Singing Fisherman
July 17, 2018, 11:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Pre season is not the time to judge. When they are more match sharp and have played with each other more and had that time to gell and know each others attributes. That is the time to judge. I truly think after a few full season games your judgements will change. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
Croxton
July 17, 2018, 11:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,924
Gold Stars: 31
Managed to sit in my new STH seat and pleased with the view. Promising start from Famewo and Hooper centrally. Liked the look of the lad with red hair in midfield. Hope gets another chance. Our system is crying out for Vernam or someone like him to link midfield and attack. A Rose is an excellent prospect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
ClamMan
July 17, 2018, 11:53pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -7
Quoted from moosey_club

The formation with Fox and Clifton as wing backs didnt necessarily help us going forward, Fox i thought was poor, Clifton played well but just not  wing back, limited when pushing forward but at least he tried.

Completely disagree. Fox was making runs and getting into space constantly and was rarely utilized. There were periods of the game where he was completely unmarked and no one passed it to him. Granted he made a mistake which led to the goal, but apart from that, I thought he fit into the role fairly well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Grantley
July 18, 2018, 12:03am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
Excellent : Famewo, M.Rose, Hooper, Collins, Hess

Decent : Whitmore, Clifton, Davis, A.Rose, Ginger trialist

OK: Woolford, Welsh, Cook, RHJ, Dixon, Robles, Macca

Poor: Fox, Brunette trialist

Wright and Russell didn’t get to do too much.

It’s a rather broad way of looking at it but it’s pre-season, you can’t look too much into these games. Thought Sunderland were faster and just better footballers but didn’t trouble us much.

I think we’ll be alright defensively this season, it’s conpact and the defenders aren’t running through treacle. Robles showed some decent touches and Hooper, especially out wide again. Akheem Rose is seriously quick. Clifton did well out of position I thought. Hessenthaler seems like a really intelligent footballer.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
mariner91
July 18, 2018, 1:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,137
Gold Stars: 249
Does anyone else worry about playing 3-5-2? We don’t have the players to play it unless something seriously changes with the squad.

On the left side Dixon is not mobile enough or good  enough to play left wing back. I like Fox but he isn’t mobile enough in my opinion to cover the entire left side properly on his own.

On the right side we’ve got Clifton who is a youngster and being played out of position. That isn’t to to take away from the fact that I rate him and think he’ll be a good player but it’s a lot to ask a player when he’s first breaking through to be playing out of position and to cover the right side on their own. RHJ is decent but is he good enough to offer the necessary attacking threat for that side on his own? I’m not so sure.

Wing back is a very specific position and needs some key attributes in place for a player to perform that role well. Right now I don’t think any of our options in those positions have enough of the key attributes. And when you think that playing with wing backs means they’re your only wide options, I think we’re seriously limiting ourselves from the off playing this formation with the players at our disposal.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
The Singing Fisherman
July 18, 2018, 1:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Not worried at all because its pre-season and confident Jolley will get the players playing well in any formation once they have had time to gell etc. And still 2-3 players left to bring in plus the lad  from Burnley he's looking to bring in on loan to play wing back. Think once the season is in full flow you will see everything fall into place. Its only early doors at the mo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.