This thread currently has 28,093 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
July 19, 2018, 11:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Wonder if anything will come of MJ's meeting yesterday?

Hopefully news on a new signing in the next 36 hours??
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 106
The Yard Dog
July 19, 2018, 2:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Just taken him down Freemo to see the work being done on our new stadium
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 106
KingstonMariner
July 19, 2018, 8:01pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Civvy at last

Funnily enough I lent him a time machine this morning.

He brought it back yesterday !!

PMSL

Was it you who knocked Bob Monkhouse's joke book?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 106
golfer
July 20, 2018, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
I hope we have more signings on the horizon because I haven't been really impressed as yet and the start of season is rapidly approaching.   I will be ever grateful for Jolly saving us from the drop but at the moment my expectations aren't very high for next season with the team we have. It's all very good pinning your hopes on a manager but he also has to have a team able to carry out his wishes.  My fingers are crossed as it doesn't look like anybody else will be coming-I hope I am wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 106
Stew0_0
July 20, 2018, 10:08am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
Relax. Jolley has already stated he wants in at least 2/3 more players. At least one striker is on the list of targets and we are very active in the market. Im guessing hes holding out for his top targets instead of signing anyone hence we held back from signing Antoine-Fortune as yet.
As we are close to the season starting now all free agents will start panicking and seek to get signed up with clubs as soon as they can. But in doing so have managed to dodge the gruelling pre-season.
Sneeky beggars
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 106
July 20, 2018, 10:16am
Guest User
Quoted from golfer
I hope we have more signings on the horizon because I haven't been really impressed as yet and the start of season is rapidly approaching.   I will be ever grateful for Jolly saving us from the drop but at the moment my expectations aren't very high for next season with the team we have. It's all very good pinning your hopes on a manager but he also has to have a team able to carry out his wishes.  My fingers are crossed as it doesn't look like anybody else will be coming-I hope I am wrong

A couple of games only and you're not impressed.

Again, still in pre-season.

You seem very well informed.

Reply: 55 - 106
Cloudy
July 20, 2018, 10:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Depends what you mean by high expectations?

Winning league? Automatic promotion? Play offs? Midtable?

I dont expect miracles but i do expect a dramatic improvement on last season in a better style of play, scoring more goals, playing at a higher tempo and having a team that is visably putting in  the effort. If we get that and improve on 18th then that, to me, is acceptable.

Doesnt mean to say i dont want us challenging at the top but essentially a new team, new staff and new style means that may be pushing it.

still think we will see a couple of more players in before we kick off the season
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 106
jonnyboy82
July 20, 2018, 10:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
I must agree by being slightly underwhelmed so far apart from the signing of john welsh which i think is a fantastic bit of buisness.

I have faith in jolley.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 106
ginnywings
July 20, 2018, 10:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
There is absolutely no point in judging players or a team until well into the season. Some of the signings will surprise us in a good way, and some will be underwhelming. I've given up trying to figure out what is and isn't a good signing, and i gave up attaching significance to pre season friendlies a long time ago.

We are only 2 seasons back into the league and are on our 4th permanent manager already, with a couple of caretakers in there as well. The turnover of players has also been as high as i can remember in those 2 years. Slade did a hell of a lot of damage while he was here, and to me it feels like we have gone back to square one again, so i will be happy if we now consolidate, and look to build something over the next season or so. Jolley looks very much like he is using the Burnley model; bringing in hard working, but maybe unfashionable players who he will try and knit into an efficient unit. He has already said he will need more than 1 window to get us where he wants us to go.

So basically, it's a wait and see from me, and nothing can possibly be as bad as last season, can it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 106
Ipswin
July 20, 2018, 11:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Stew0_0

As we are close to the season starting now all free agents will start panicking and seek to get signed up with clubs as soon as they can.

We've signed a load of them in the past. Never again I hope. We need players that some other sodomist wants not some useless tosser who is so desperate for a club that he'll snatch Jolley's hand off come to Grimsby Town

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 106
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Striker set to sign before the weekend

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.