Abdul19
July 14, 2018, 5:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from horsforthmariner
After all 4 years ago I'd probably said that Hart, Rooney, Walcott and Sturridge would be key members of this squad and of course that turned out well....

I remember thinking Jon Flanagan would be a regular!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
horsforthmariner
July 14, 2018, 5:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

Thats hilarious - Bus shows the state of English football around the time - we had so little talent coming through after the "golden generation".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Mighty_Mariner
July 14, 2018, 6:10pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I think you'll see Angel Gomes of Man Utd becoming AN England regular in the next few years. The kid is destined to be a star..... think Raheem Sterling but with more trickery and finishing ability.

Dean Henderson too. Here's my 10p worth.

Dean Henderson

Harry Maguire
John Stones
Jamalle Lacselles

Kieran Trippier
Ryan Sessengnon

Phil Foden
Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Angel Gomes

Harry Kane
Marcus Rashford

What we really need is a Paul Scholes/Michael Carrick/Steven Gérard type who can control the midfield and open up defences.

What I really like is that we are trying to develop grass roots football, and putting time and resources into the youth development (Under 17 and Under 20 World champions in last 12 months) and all the squads, seniors included all seem to be working to the same mantra.

Gareth has done a fantastic job in a short space of time and we have some outstanding young players coming through the system. We could be on the verge of another golden generation, but this time a forward-thinking manager who gets the best out the players is at the helm.

People forget we only adopted the 3-5-2 formation after we'd qualified for the world Cup and was actually a very brave decision to go with it and leave out seom seasoned pros and ones quite not for that in past tournaments would have been selected.

It all points to a very bright future for the English game IMO.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
fiveallive
July 14, 2018, 6:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Harry Winks would be the first name on the team sheet for me moving to the next world cup, he has the passing ability of Carrick, Ward-Prowse hopefully getting a look in aswell. Hopefully emergence of under 17 and under 21 players who have won tournaments Brewster.
It amazes me if I had my way Michael Carrick would have had won 200 caps.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
jimgtfc
July 14, 2018, 7:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 44
Jordan Pickford

Axel Tuanzebe
John Stones
Harry Maguire

Trent Alexander-Arnold
Tom Davies
Harry Winks
Phil Foden
Ryan Sessegnon

Marcus Rashford
Harry Kane

Gone for a few outsiders, but I’d expect the likes of Sterling, Alli, Lingard and Loftus-Cheek to be there or thereabouts. We’re desperate for some creativity in the middle of the park and I hope Pep can inspire and coach Foden to be that player.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
jock dock tower
July 14, 2018, 10:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
You need a couple of Jocks in there to have any chance at all.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
SheepGTFC
July 15, 2018, 3:35am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +282
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Gaffer58
Maybe Rice of WestHam in a back 3/4.

He's Irish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
grimsby pete
July 15, 2018, 11:13am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from SheepGTFC

He's Irish

He might have a grandad that is English,

Well it works for them

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Abdul19
July 15, 2018, 11:23am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
That's exactly what they've done with him!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
rancido
July 15, 2018, 12:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,526
Gold Stars: 96
I think we will get a better idea of what the next World Cup squad will look like by Southgate's approach to the Euros, which start this September. I think he has laid the foundations for what could be a very good Euro campaign in 2020 , which will bode well for the 2022 World Cup. We certainly did far better at this World Cup than was predicted but ultimately a lack of experience and a couple of basic mistakes left us lacking in a couple of areas. Southgate is clever enough to learn from this and I'm sure the backroom staff will analyse each game to see where improvements can be made.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pick your England side for 4 years time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.