golfer
July 14, 2018, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,417
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How does a country with an 11th/12th of our population produce world class players and we don't?

?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
ginnywings
July 14, 2018, 8:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from golfer

?

Croatia. 4 million -ish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
arryarryarry
July 14, 2018, 9:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
4 wins against mediocre teams. 3 defeats and 1 goal from a set piece against better quality opposition. Can't see it ever changing to be honest because we are not producing the Hazard's and Mbappe's of this world and i can't see that changing.

It doesn't help when the manager has his favourites and continues to play them even though they hardly contribute to the games and are clearly not international quality. He also doesn't seem to react quickly enough when it is going wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
ginnywings
July 14, 2018, 9:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

It doesn't help when the manager has his favourites and continues to play them even though they hardly contribute to the games and are clearly not international quality. He also doesn't seem to react quickly enough when it is going wrong.

In all honesty, was there anyone better sat on the bench? I think we were playing at the limit of our ability, and there is not much more we could have done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
arryarryarry
July 14, 2018, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

In all honesty, was there anyone better sat on the bench? I think we were playing at the limit of our ability, and there is not much more we could have done.

I'm not saying there was better on the bench in fact that confirms to me we are not that good and there was too much hype about winning it.

But there surely has to be better players than Alli, Sterling  and Lingard as well as some of our defenders who conceded two poor goals today.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2018, 9:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Croatia. 4 million -ish

Correct. Although my maths is wonky. Should have said 13th-14th.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
ginnywings
July 14, 2018, 9:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not saying there was better on the bench in fact that confirms to me we are not that good and there was too much hype about winning it.

But there surely has to be better players than Alli, Sterling  and Lingard as well as some of our defenders who conceded two poor goals today.

Obviously not. Think they were the best of the bunch and are not quite good enough. Given time and experience, they may do better. I hope so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
TheCodfather1966
July 14, 2018, 10:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Lets be realistic, England haven't really progressed at all, played two good teams in the tournament and lost three times..........  Sweden would have struggled to finish half way up the Championship.  Southgate is a good guy, but we will always be bridesmaids at these tournaments until the structure of our top flight changes.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
TheCodfather1966
July 14, 2018, 10:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: -633
Lets be realistic, England haven't really progressed at all, played two good teams in the tournament and lost three times..........  Sweden would have struggled to finish half way up the Championship.  Southgate is a good guy, but we will always be bridesmaids at these tournaments until the structure of our top flight changes.............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
TownSNAFU5
July 14, 2018, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,851
Gold Stars: 42
Belgium, Man City and Liverpool have mastered the art of lightning counter-attacks, combined with slick one-touch, accurate defence-splitting passes.  

All too much for England.  We were carved open at will.  Belgium just had to pick their moments.  We had to chase the game,  which played right into their hands.

Belgium employed the same tactic for their winning goal against Japan.  Against France the outstanding French defence blunted their attacks.  Belgium had to chase the game then.

Not sure where England are now:  hopefully without Jones and what is wrong with Kane?  He keeps getting picked when he has been so out of sorts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England v Belgium Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.