Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 408 Guests

2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?

This thread currently has 3,404 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Youngy
July 13, 2018, 2:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
This World Cup has been fantastic, twists and turns on a game by game basis and no end of goals (1 0-0 in 62 games) but I can't help but get the feeling this maybe the last true great World Cup.

Four years time will see the farce that is the Qatar tournament which by all accounts will be held in November. This is going to see massive disruption to domestic seasons across the globe as well as ongoing battles between football associations and clubs. How the hell FIFA didn't even consider that hosting a World Cup in the middle of a desert may lead to issues with climate control is farcical (well money talks I guess).

Then in 2026 we see the introduction of the 48 team World Cup and surely that will be overkill with the introduction of more 'less then capable' teams and the group stages going to 2 games but the addition of an extra knock out round (more extra time and penalty drag outs potentially).

I just wonder now if we've seen the peak of what in my eyes is the greatest sporting competition in the world?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
July 13, 2018, 2:30pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
The last true great world cup was in 1966!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
diehardmariner
July 13, 2018, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Let's for a second forget about the human rights issues, heck if we dwelled on those we could probably pull every host country of every event in the world to pieces.

But I really struggle with this grumble about the World Cup taking place somewhere where it's dead hot.  Isn't this a World Cup? Countries in the Middle East have as much right to host the tournament as much as those in European countries or anywhere else that doesn't fit in with agenda of the European Leagues.

So it has to be in November?  So what.  Other countries disrupt their season to fit in with the World Cup, so why should we be exempt from it.  Personally a winter World Cup will be brilliant for me.  I've had the dilemma for large parts of this World Cup; enjoy the sunshine or sit inside and watch the football.  A winter World Cup provides a great distraction from the dark days and nights.

The numbers wise, I agree with.  It's clearly just a ploy to get more teams there and milk advertising revenue for as much as they can.  That said, it's the supposed lesser sides who've provided as much entertainment this time round as the big boys.  
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
Vance Warner
July 14, 2018, 9:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
Be interesting to see what happens with lower league fixtures during the World Cup. No point in town having a month off. If you gave me the choice of watching England on telly or town in the rain (remember that stuff) I know where I'd be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
Les Brechin
July 14, 2018, 9:35am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Vance Warner
Be interesting to see what happens with lower league fixtures during the World Cup. No point in town having a month off. If you gave me the choice of watching England on telly or town in the rain (remember that stuff) I know where I'd be.

I wouldn't think that League 1 and 2 games will be called off but I'm sure they will be scheduled so that they don't clash with any England games.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2018, 11:58am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Let's for a second forget about the human rights issues, heck if we dwelled on those we could probably pull every host country of every event in the world to pieces.

But I really struggle with this grumble about the World Cup taking place somewhere where it's dead hot.  Isn't this a World Cup? Countries in the Middle East have as much right to host the tournament as much as those in European countries or anywhere else that doesn't fit in with agenda of the European Leagues.

So it has to be in November?  So what.  Other countries disrupt their season to fit in with the World Cup, so why should we be exempt from it.  Personally a winter World Cup will be brilliant for me.  I've had the dilemma for large parts of this World Cup; enjoy the sunshine or sit inside and watch the football.  A winter World Cup provides a great distraction from the dark days and nights.

The numbers wise, I agree with.  It's clearly just a ploy to get more teams there and milk advertising revenue for as much as they can.  That said, it's the supposed lesser sides who've provided as much entertainment this time round as the big boys.  

To imply there's an equivalence between Germany and France say on the one hand and Qatar on the other in respect of human rights is bonkers. Then we have the issue of workplace safety or lack of it. What's the death toll up to now in Qatar on construction sites?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
ginnywings
July 14, 2018, 12:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from KingstonMariner

To imply there's an equivalence between Germany and France say on the one hand and Qatar on the other in respect of human rights is bonkers. Then we have the issue of workplace safety or lack of it. What's the death toll up to now in Qatar on construction sites?

Reckoned to be about 1200 in 2015, and estimates say that as many as 4000 could die by the time the tournament starts in 2022.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Ipswin
July 14, 2018, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Les Brechin

I wouldn't think that League 1 and 2 games will be called off but I'm sure they will be scheduled so that they don't clash with any England games.

Assuming England qualify of course  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
grimsby pete
July 14, 2018, 12:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Ipswin

Assuming England qualify of course  

To be honest I would not mind England missing this one,

Its like the checkatrade thingy it should not be played , well not there ,

Its all about money how on earth they got the tournament just tells you what the ex FIFA men where all about.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 29
Ipswin
July 14, 2018, 12:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

To be honest I would not mind England missing this one,

Its like the checkatrade thingy it should not be played , well not there ,

Its all about money how on earth they got the tournament just tells you what the ex FIFA men where all about.

But we're going to be world beaters in 4 years.............aren't we?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.