Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 321 Guests

2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?

This thread currently has 3,403 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 14, 2018, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We're talking about the here and now, not 70 or 80 years ago. Germany's about as clean as they come now. SA's worst excesses are in the past too - more about corruption there than human rights abuses now. Can't punish a country for its history. I'm not defending Russia's or China's records on human rights, though I dare say Russia would stack up pretty well against Qatar. And in any case, Russia has many other merits that Qatar doesn't have as a host of a football tournament.

I was joking regards Germany.

I did say that taking the human rights issue out of it. Let's face it, the big issue for a lot of people isn't the human rights issue. It's the fact it'll disrupt the Sky Sports scheduling.

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
chaos33
July 14, 2018, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
In 2026, when the World Cup goes to 48 teams - that basically means that any nation that plays football...any nation...will qualify. Except San Marino, The Faroe Islands, and Scotland.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
GrimRob
July 14, 2018, 11:03pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Abdul19
If the World Cup wasn't one big tournament, it'd be shit. Watching 3 group games a day is what makes it great!

Not if it makes next to no difference what the outcome is. Don't forget 48 teams going to 32 when the knock-out starts in 16 groups of 3 with the top 2 qualifying, which is what it is going to change to. The group stage is going to be largely meaningless with only the very poor teams eliminated, more like the cricket world cup. As the OP says the format of the competition is going to change profoundly.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 29
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2018, 11:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

I was joking regards Germany.

I did say that taking the human rights issue out of it. Let's face it, the big issue for a lot of people isn't the human rights issue. It's the fact it'll disrupt the Sky Sports scheduling.

Ah, fair enough.

The fact it'd disrupt Sky Sports scheduling is one great positive IMO.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
KingstonMariner
July 14, 2018, 11:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Gaffer58
There's one thing, Russia does not have a hooligan problem.

Do you mean it's not regarded as a problem by authority?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
promotion plaice
July 14, 2018, 11:39pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from Gaffer58
There's one thing, Russia does not have a hooligan problem.

UEFA Euro 2016 riots Marseille

"The next day, English and Russian fans clashed before that evening's game between the two teams. The police again used tear gas and a water cannon to control crowds. Immediately after the match, which ended in a 1–1 draw, around 150 Russian fans at the Stade Vélodrome charged towards England supporters in a neighbouring terrace. Russian fans set off flares and climbed over fencing to attack the opposing supporters.Two Russian supporters were also arrested over a pitch invasion during the game. Two England fans were left in comas after being attacked with hammers and iron bars by Russian hooligans.Video footage was later released showing the Russian hooligans attacking English fans with chairs and metal bars. The chief prosecutor in Marseille called the group "hyper-rapid and hyper-violent".

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
promotion plaice
July 15, 2018, 8:32pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

Just thought I'd mention that France won the 2018 World Cup  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
MarinerRob
July 15, 2018, 8:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
And Harry Kane won the Golden Boot with 6 goals. Three penalties, two goals from 3 yards out and a deflection of his heel.
I know he scored more than anyone else but these stats won't scare any opposition.
I have to say I was disappointed with him. Whether being captain changed his style of play or not having his Tottenham team mates playing to his strengths was the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
moosey_club
July 15, 2018, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from MarinerRob
And Harry Kane won the Golden Boot with 6 goals. Three penalties, two goals from 3 yards out and a deflection of his heel.
I know he scored more than anyone else but these stats won't scare any opposition.
I have to say I was disappointed with him. Whether being captain changed his style of play or not having his Tottenham team mates playing to his strengths was the problem.

i wouldnt claim to be a master technician but..  as the system selected saw him largely playing in midfield facing his own goal ...then that probably had some bearing on his ability to score goals  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
Brisbane Mariner
July 16, 2018, 5:46am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
And the lowest ranking team at the 2022 world cup will most likely be the hosts - never had a prayer to whichever god you want to pick of qualifying ever any other way! Oh well turn up win take the trophy Done - isnt that what we used to do in the middle east

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2018 - The Last True Great World Cup?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.