This thread currently has 3,469 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
July 12, 2018, 11:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Who was the England player of the tournament? Has to be Pickford for me. Trippier and Maguire also get honorable mentions. Kane played well against the smaller teams and obviously scored lots of penalties but the others are ahead of him IMHO.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Northbank Mariner
July 12, 2018, 12:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
I've got to give the accolade to Trippier, complete surprise package, run up n down the wing like a demented dog, put some superb crosses in and at the other end of park did a very good defensive job....would be interesting to flip this thread on it's head and see who we thought was the biggest disappointment..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
golfer
July 12, 2018, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Pickford for me-biggest disappointment Ali but saying that he was injured so nobody really
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
NorthseaMariner
July 12, 2018, 12:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Trippier defo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
MARINERSMAN22
July 12, 2018, 12:18pm
Wembley 2K15 Centre Box <3
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: -395
When it comes to worst player I literally couldn’t pick anybody who failed to deliver. Sterling got a lot of stuck for his role that he performed well. Against Croatia he was our most lively player up top

Wembley2K15 Centre Box

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
KingstonMariner
July 12, 2018, 12:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Between Trippier and Maguire for me.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
diehardmariner
July 12, 2018, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,063
Gold Stars: 518
Trippier for me.

Thought he was the only player we missed more than anyone else against Belgium in the dead rubber and had we got to the final I think we would have missed him more than anyone else again, I include Harry Kane in that who is valuable but we have other options.  We don't have another wing-back capable of such a consistently high standard of delivery that Trippier delivers.  The only other player I think we can't replace easily is Kyle Walker, just because he gives the defence so much extra pace.

Don't think anyone disappointed. Alli hasn't really lived up to his early hopes in an England shirt but he fits in with the set-up.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Harry Haddock
July 12, 2018, 12:34pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +18 / -8
Approval: +670
Gold Stars: 5
Difficult to say. I thought Sterling, Stones and Pickford played really well
We should have played Rose ahead of Young  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Abdul19
July 12, 2018, 12:35pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Trippier. An unexpected tournament revelation.

Alli didn't look fit. It's a shame Oxlade-Chamberlain got injured, would've been a decent alternative.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
Tommy
July 12, 2018, 12:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner
Trippier for me.

Thought he was the only player we missed more than anyone else against Belgium in the dead rubber and had we got to the final I think we would have missed him more than anyone else again, I include Harry Kane in that who is valuable but we have other options.  We don't have another wing-back capable of such a consistently high standard of delivery that Trippier delivers.  The only other player I think we can't replace easily is Kyle Walker, just because he gives the defence so much extra pace.

Don't think anyone disappointed. Alli hasn't really lived up to his early hopes in an England shirt but he fits in with the set-up.

Walker is a funny one for me.

I agree his pace as a covering defender has been so valuable at times. However I think he's got the least technical ability out of the starting XI. Maguire and Stones are comfortable on the ball and can use both feet or the outside of the foot to make a pass under pressure, or find a pass into the middle third. Walker is the one who ends up boshing it high and long more than anyone else because he's restricted to playing a straight-forward right footed pass in the way he's facing, or he doesn't see a pass into someone in midfield the way Stones does. His long balls seem to go way too high as well, giving opposition time to adjust positions by the time it comes back down.

Also seen a movie-graphic on twitter this morning of passing maps/combination lines throughout the game last night as it developed. Two of the thickest lines (most used passes) for much of the match were Walker back to Pickford, and Pickford long to Kane. Which doesn't tell the whole story I'd admit because stats never do, but Walker having to pass back to Pickford rather than slide a pass into someone (even if they've got a man behind them) was a common theme (and one Maguire and Stones didn't suffer with).

Not trying to dig Walker out here, just always thought he's technically limited. If we played a back 4 I'd have Trippier over him without doubt.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player of the Tournament

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.