3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Tinymariner
July 9, 2018, 2:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Feeling really disappointed and slightly concerned that we have so few games lined up. Nothing now till Sunderland on 17th. I know we will have Lincs cup games too but still not enough compared to previous years. Usually play Winterton, North Ferriby, Boston or Brigg as standard, wouldn’t mind seeing a Hull team competing with us either. Any chance of more being announced short notice?

Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
July 9, 2018, 4:19am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Hasn't done us much good in recent years has it? Pre season is over-hyped in my opinion and i never take much notice of it. Playing the same old teams, year in year out, has become something else that for me needs a big shake up of the way we do things. We play Winterton, Brigg et al every year because it's what we have always done. It's time we stopped doing what we have always done and try different routines. I honestly think we play too many friendlies against mediocre opposition anyway. I don't watch pre season games myself, so it makes no odds to me how many we play and who the opponents are. The training camp at Warwick seems a much better way of team bonding to me, and will benefit the players more than running around on rock hard pitches playing against failed pro's trying to make a name for themselves. I trust the new regime, so whatever they decide, it's fine by me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
dapperz fun pub
July 9, 2018, 6:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
Like Ginny says we need to do new things not old ones a new way of thought is running the club now so let’s move with it not against it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
diehardmariner
July 9, 2018, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
I do enjoy the short trips to the likes of Brigg, Winteron, North Ferriby though.

But I agree with the sentiment.  In the modern game there's probably no need for fifty pre-season games.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
headingly_mariner
July 9, 2018, 9:07am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
Hasn't done us much good in recent years has it? Pre season is over-hyped in my opinion and i never take much notice of it. Playing the same old teams, year in year out, has become something else that for me needs a big shake up of the way we do things. We play Winterton, Brigg et al every year because it's what we have always done. It's time we stopped doing what we have always done and try different routines. I honestly think we play too many friendlies against mediocre opposition anyway. I don't watch pre season games myself, so it makes no odds to me how many we play and who the opponents are. The training camp at Warwick seems a much better way of team bonding to me, and will benefit the players more than running around on rock hard pitches playing against failed pro's trying to make a name for themselves. I trust the new regime, so whatever they decide, it's fine by me.

Do you think it was an intentional ploy to have very few pre season fixtures?
I wouldn’t have thought so myself, it looks very much like a poorly planned pre season. Surely the squad need minutes playing together no matter who the opposition are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
ginnywings
July 9, 2018, 9:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Do you think it was an intentional ploy to have very few pre season fixtures?
I wouldn’t have thought so myself, it looks very much like a poorly planned pre season. Surely the squad need minutes playing together no matter who the opposition are.

That's the thing with GTFC though isn't it? When we do stuff differently, people automatically assume poor planning is the reason. May be there was a conscious effort to play fewer games against better opposition. The York and Rotherham fixtures were pulled for reasons beyond the clubs control it looks like.

I don't know why we are playing a lot less friendlies this pre season. Perhaps it's intentional, perhaps not, but i'm not sweating over it. For me, i like the break from footy over the summer and am not interested until the first game proper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Tinymariner
July 9, 2018, 9:43am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I enjoy the preseason games, I’m not against any changes if that’s what this is but I like to familiarise myself with the new faces prior to the season starting. I also enjoy the short trips around Lincolnshire and surrounding areas. Don’t read anything negative in my OP, it wasn’t meant to be so.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
ginnywings
July 9, 2018, 10:04am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Tinymariner
I enjoy the preseason games, I’m not against any changes if that’s what this is but I like to familiarise myself with the new faces prior to the season starting. I also enjoy the short trips around Lincolnshire and surrounding areas. Don’t read anything negative in my OP, it wasn’t meant to be so.

I certainly didn't take your post as a negative. I know some fans like to go and see the new faces and have a trip to different grounds. Some of the group i attend BP with go to all the friendlies. I like a break from it all myself and come back eager for the new season. Think there may be some more games announced at short notice as the weeks pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
grimsby pete
July 9, 2018, 10:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I do not think we know better then Jolley,

He is a deep thinker about everything football so to accuse him of poor planning is wrong,

I can remember many times that we have had big wins in preseason 10/12 goals in a single game then started the season poorly,

Lets see how we start this season then we will know if Micheal's cunning plan has worked or not.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Dogger Bank
July 9, 2018, 10:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Pre-seasons are for fitness and match practice, nothing more. It would be nice though to have a decent Premier League side lined up to create a bit of interest before the season starts, maybe even a overseas team that is touring. Other teams in the lower leagues seem to do it but we don't for whatever reason. It would also bring in a few quid for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pre season fixtures

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.