Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England or Town Success?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 369 Guests

What would you choose
England winning the World Cup (40 votes)
44.44%
Town winning the League 2 title (50 votes)
55.56%
90 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll
Voting in this poll has ended.

England or Town Success?

This thread currently has 3,233 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
July 8, 2018, 10:27pm
Guest User
Country over club for me. If we actually won the world cup, I really don't know what I would do with myself. Got a golden ticket for Sunday as well. Can barely sleep, it's madness this.
Reply: 20 - 22
KingstonMariner
July 8, 2018, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from SteffiMariner
I'm unsure why they have to be mutually exclusive, and for this reason I'm not voting.

It's just a bit of fun. Or if you prefer something more serious, it's a 'thought experiment'   .

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
diehardmariner
July 9, 2018, 12:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Loving the vibe around England at the minute and that we've got a team to be proud of, at last.

But it's Town every time.  The sheer amount of time I spend thinking about Town, checking news, reading stuff on here, checking out what other fans are saying about players we've signed etc. means they dominate a lot of my thoughts.

I felt anger for most of last season over how badly the club is run, the whole Slade farce reign, the lack of respect for the fans.  That changed to hope and optimism under Jolley but with an underlying anger still towards how the club is run.   I don't feel anything like that for England.  

The national side are in my mind for a month (at best) every two years.  I'll watch the friendlies and the qualifiers but I have no investment in them.  The vast majority of the other 23 months I don't care about them really.  This summer it does feel different but when we've gone out of a tournament it has felt more like a 'ah, felicitations sake' type moment with a few days moaning about how crap/unjust it was and then returning to normality without much adjustment.  

The relegation from the Football League in 09/10 left a gloom over that summer, right until we snatched a 1-0 win at Crawley on the opening day.  The summer before I was bouncing around with optimism thinking Barry Conlon and Peter Sweeney would steer us to promotion.  As Poojah states, there's nothing that would ever come close to how I felt during that Bristol Rovers shoot-out.  When Pittman missed his penalty my legs gave way and I just collapsed as everything drained out of me.  I can't ever imagine feeling that way about England.  I don't have the same connection with the players as a I do those that represent the club I support every day of the year.  As stated, it feels different this year but when Henderson missed against Columbia I was gutted, when Pittman missed my heart went out to him as as person.  To the person who was part of the community, who lived here and shared our journey that season.  All that pain, all that frustration was what meant the following season so vital and also made the FGR win that bloody amazing.  We all cried, either inside or outside, when Disley wept on TV away at Braintree.  I can't imagine I'll be crying if Nick Pope's bottom lip starts going at some point.

I would also have gone for both if it was an option.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England or Town Success?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.