Reply: 1 - 69
Dogger Bank
July 6, 2018, 10:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
They'll be cancelling away league fixtures next because they don't want Grimsby fans in their town or city  

Absolute joke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 69
Rob_in_Grimsby
July 6, 2018, 10:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Are our fan`s really that bad

It looks like the police view is yes, Football intelligence as they call it is a joke not helped by local papers re running the same stories over and over again exaggerating the issue.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 69
Chrisblor
July 6, 2018, 10:51am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,778
Gold Stars: 233
It's absolutely pathetic from South Yorkshire Police this. Complete joke of a police force (and I live in Sheffield so I've got plenty of experience of their utter incompetence)

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 69
1mickylyons
July 6, 2018, 10:52am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

It looks like the police view is yes, Football intelligence as they call it is a joke not helped by local papers re running the same stories over and over again exaggerating the issue.  

I think about 500 would have travelled with about 30-40 so called risk God help them if they can`t Police that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 69
Cloudy
July 6, 2018, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Aided and abetted by our scaremongering officer who doubles as stadium manager
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 69
codcheeky
July 6, 2018, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Cloudy

Aided and abetted by our scaremongering officer who doubles as stadium manager

If he can't manage the risk of a friendly he is not for for purpose
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 69
jimgtfc
July 6, 2018, 11:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Absolutely pathetic

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 69
hheh2
July 6, 2018, 11:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
The Rotherham police forces seem to be getting their priorities straight, cancelling a pre season friendly but doing intercourse all about the rape attacks on our children

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 69
Mallyner
July 6, 2018, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
It's sad as Rotherham were going to be a better quality side to test ourselves against, than most of the friendlies. How sad is it that grown men can't behave themselves at a friendly match and perhaps we should be demonizing the 30-40 'at risk.' Idiots who mascarade as football supporters.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 69
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2018, 11:24am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
South Yorkshire police have a long history of anti-working class actions/inactions. This pales into insignificance compared to their previous form. For example their response to those girls and their families to the grooming and rapes, seemed based on the police’s attitude that they were lower class scum.going back in time we had the Hillsborough disaster and before that their policing of the miners’ disputes.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 69
Northbank Mariner
July 6, 2018, 11:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
What a crock of a mans hairy parts!!...god forbid we draw them in a cup game!!!....just saying, would they expect us to play at a "neutral" stadium??...suppose then they could wash their hands with it, that stadium would have to be outside the south yorkshire forces boundary!!..bunch of frigging fairies.....coppers today just aren't what that used to be and another example of the nanny state we live in!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 69
BottesfordMariner
July 6, 2018, 11:45am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
This is pathetic.

That's now 2 pre season fixtures in the country of Yorkshire that have been cancelled. Ironically this fixture was a replacement for the York game.

Pre season games FFS. A few hundred Grimsby fans out of which there would be possibly a handful of idiots. But as it is only a friendly doubt they would even show up. In all my years of following Town I cannot remember seeing any trouble at a Town pre-season game. And I hope I never do.

Seems a total over reaction by the police.

Like has been said what will they do if we play over that way in a game that actually matters. What a great country this is.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 69
diehardmariner
July 6, 2018, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,542
Gold Stars: 537
Was looking forward to this and a new stadium.

I'm guessing the line they're putting out is that there's a concern of a venture into Sheffield for a retribution for the clashes in Cleethorpes in 2016.  Would this be the first time we would have played in the Sheffield area since?  Can only think of Chesterfield last August as something remotely close.

Either way, very disappointing and a bit shambolic really.  This, which followed the York cancellation, leaves a hole in our pre-season schedule and no doubt Jolley's plans.  Hopefully he can line up some other opposition of a similar standing to test ourselves against.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 69
oldun
July 6, 2018, 11:55am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Yes but last year's friendly against Sheffield turned into mayhem in the vicinity of the ground and in Cleethorpes. These incidents do have a bearing upon policing and other clubs. It is a pity the majority suffer for the minority but that is the way it is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 69
louth_in_the_south
July 6, 2018, 11:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Did I read somewhere sheff Wednesday are taking 3500 for a friendly at Lincoln? How the fook will Lincs police deal with them ? Perhaps they can send some tips to SYorks plod ?!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from KingstonMariner
.going back in time we had the Hillsborough disaster and before that their policing of the miners’ disputes.

For felicitations sake are you still wobbling on about Hillsborough.

Much of the over the top policing in the miners strike was done by police from other forces drafted in and earning a fortune in overtime (a mate of mine got a house deposit together courtesy of Scargill) who were bored living away from home for long periods and just fancied getting stuck in

Anything else you want to blame the police for?

It was an unimportant football friendly FFS

Boring old fart

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 69
totalidiot
July 6, 2018, 12:34pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +341
Ridiculous overreaction,stupid and pathetic police force
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 69
Kris2
July 6, 2018, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Are our fan`s really that bad

A lot of the fans on here seem to think they are badasses and talk how they miss the old days when they met the Millwall at the train station.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 69
Tommy
July 6, 2018, 12:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
This is pathetic.

That's now 2 pre season fixtures in the country of Yorkshire that have been cancelled. Ironically this fixture was a replacement for the York game.

Pre season games FFS. A few hundred Grimsby fans out of which there would be possibly a handful of idiots. But as it is only a friendly doubt they would even show up. In all my years of following Town I cannot remember seeing any trouble at a Town pre-season game. And I hope I never do.

Seems a total over reaction by the police.

Like has been said what will they do if we play over that way in a game that actually matters. What a great country this is.....

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/grimsby-town-sheffield-united-sentences-1533202

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 69
moosey_club
July 6, 2018, 12:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

Tommy the shooter

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 69
GrimRob
July 6, 2018, 1:08pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
We should all go to Rotherham anyway!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 69
BottesfordMariner
July 6, 2018, 1:29pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Fair point Tommy.

I didnt go to the Sheff U game so forgot about that to an extent but I was referring more to watching Town away in pre season.

That Sheff U game was a bit of an isolated incident in that sense and from what I understand would not be right to level the bulk of blame at Grimsby's door.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 69
Croxton
July 6, 2018, 1:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Very disappointing for us S yorks  Mariners. Would Mansfield , Chesterfield, Donny or  Scunny have been cancelled? Could the Telegraph or RH do some proper journalism around that? Where would they allow us to play?
Makes my visit to Cleethorpes Town more worthwhile though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 69
The Yard Dog
July 6, 2018, 1:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
[quote=54]

[/b]For felicitations sake are you still wobbling on about Hillsborough. [b]

Much of the over the top policing in the miners strike was done by police from other forces drafted in and earning a fortune in overtime (a mate of mine got a house deposit together courtesy of Scargill) who were bored living away from home for long periods and just fancied getting stuck in

Boring old fart

Yes we should keep harping about Hillsborough, until those in charge and involved in the cover-up are brought justice.
Coward hiding behind an order since 2000 preventing from being tried.
How would you feel if you had to fight for justice for over 25 years.
I have nothing but admiration for families who have had to fight for justice for their loved ones, God knows how they have managed to do so.
The football family should never forgot the 96 who lost their lives on that day, it could have been of of us olduns.

The match commander on the day of the Hillsborough disaster David Duckenfield will face trial for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 football supporters, a judge has ruled.

The decision to prosecute the former chief superintendent was made by Sir Peter Openshaw at Preston Crown Court who lifted a stay on his prosecution.

An order preventing Mr Duckenfield being tried was imposed 18 years ago.

Four other men will also face trial on charges related to Hillsborough.

Mr Duckenfield, 73, was match commander at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally injured in a crush in the terrace pens.

Under the law at the time, there can be no prosecution for the death of the 96th victim, Tony Bland, because he died more than a year and a day after his injuries were caused.

Former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell is charged with health and safety, and safety at sports grounds offences.

The trial of Mr Duckenfield and Mr Mackrell is currently listed to start on 10 September.

Former solicitor Peter Metcalf and former police officers Donald Denton and Alan Foster are scheduled to go on trial in January 2019 charged with perverting the course of justice.

A hearing to determine whether former Chief Constable Sir Norman Bettison will be tried has been adjourned until August.

The Crown Prosecution Service applied to lift a historical stay - halting further legal proceedings - on Mr Duckenfield which was put in place in 2000.

In his ruling on Friday, the judge said: "In respect of the defendant David Duckenfield I lift the stay."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 69
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2018, 2:03pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Boring old fart

'Still wobbling on about Hillsborough'? You may not think it important that police incompetence led to the deaths of 96 people and many more injured. You may not think that police cover ups and lies led to the whole thing being dragged out for 27 years longer than it need have. You may not think it matters that the lies peddled by the police contributed to the continued besmirching of innocent people. But for lots of people it still matters.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 2:07pm
Vodka Drinker

'Still wobbling on about Hillsborough'? You may not think it important that police incompetence led to the deaths of 96 people and many more injured. You may not think that police cover ups and lies led to the whole thing being dragged out for 27 years longer than it need have. You may not think it matters that the lies peddled by the police contributed to the continued besmirching of innocent people. But for lots of people it still matters.

My point is, and I suspect you understand it very well, that Hillsborough and the miners strike has absolutely intercourse all to do with the cancellation of a pre-season friendly between Rotherham United and Grimsby Town. You quote both these historic events in an effort to knock the S Yorks police because they have been unable in their professional view to safely police the match. At least Rotherham United have seen fit to request a certain level of policing unlike the idiots at GrimsbyTown at the Port Vale game

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 69
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2018, 2:10pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

My point is, and I suspect you understand it very well, that Hillsborough and the miners strike has absolutely intercourse all to do with the cancellation of a pre-season friendly between Rotherham United and Grimsby Town. You quote both these historic events in an effort to knock the S Yorks police because they have been unable in their professional view to safely police the match. At least Rotherham United have seen fit to request a certain level of policing unlike the idiots at GrimsbyTown at the Port Vale game

It's a pre-season friendly. Are they truly expecting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to descend?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Yes we should keep harping about Hillsborough, until those in charge and involved in the cover-up are brought justice.

The trial of Mr Duckenfield and Mr Mackrell is currently listed to start on 10 September.

It appears you have your wish then, although it will sadly not alter events in any way

However what exactly it or the miners dispute has to do with the cancellation of Town's game at Rotherham I still can't work out

The original poster was wrong IMO to bring up the Hillsborough incident to back up his argument about the inefficiency of S Yorks police to cover a pre-season friendly football match, the circumstances are totally different and the quoting of Hillsborough was totally unnecessary

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 2:17pm
Vodka Drinker

It's a pre-season friendly. Are they truly expecting the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to descend?

So was the game against Sheffield United. Is the town fan who was critically injured on the mend yet? I hope so

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 69
FishOutOfWater
July 6, 2018, 2:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Mallyner
It's sad as Rotherham were going to be a better quality side to test ourselves against, than most of the friendlies. How sad is it that grown men can't behave themselves at a friendly match and perhaps we should be demonizing the 30-40 'at risk.' Idiots who mascarade as football supporters.

I'd hazard a guess that there will be more than 30-40 'idiots' ( football supporters or not ) who will be out unsupervised next Friday evening round and about Rotherham town centre

Wonder if SYP will make the  centre a "no-go zone" and restrict access there.... probably not because there's no football connection

This just smacks to me as if it's easier for them to just cancel the fixture, no matter who might have wanted to attend, rather than have to do the jobs they are paid to do, police their community

It'll be interesting if we get an evening cup game away there.... maybe they'll cancel that too 'on police advice' and we will have to draw lots to see who goes through to the next round
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 69
FishOutOfWater
July 6, 2018, 2:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

So was the game against Sheffield United. Is the town fan who was critically injured on the mend yet? I hope so

His mother is a friend of my aunt....

As I understand it, he's made a slow recovery of sorts but he's definitely not the same bloke he was before he was attacked
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 69
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2018, 5:08pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It appears you have your wish then, although it will sadly not alter events in any way

However what exactly it or the miners dispute has to do with the cancellation of Town's game at Rotherham I still can't work out

The original poster was wrong IMO to bring up the Hillsborough incident to back up his argument about the inefficiency of S Yorks police to cover a pre-season friendly football match, the circumstances are totally different and the quoting of Hillsborough was totally unnecessary

For the hard of thinking, South Yorks police were in operational command of the police on duty during the miners dispute. You telling me they had no control over the thugs from other forces?

As for me being wrong to cite the Hillsborough disaster as evidence of South Yorks police's attitude, the point is it exactly illustrates their outlook. Nothing has changed in that police force to change the culture because they've only fairly recently been proved to be in the wrong (a delay caused by their lies and the connivance of the rest of the establishment). Instead of explaining how that was wrong, your immediate response was 'you're not still wobbling on about that'. To me that shows you're not in the least concerned with whether my argument was valid. You seem more worried that people are criticising the SYP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker

You seem more worried that people are criticising the SYP.

I am quite frankly. They've caused the cancellation of a friendly football match, is it really that terrible?

Is it to be compared with the horrendous incident you saw fit to refer to or even giving a few strikers a thick ear?

Hardly

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 69
Civvy at last
July 6, 2018, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Kris2

A lot of the fans on here seem to think they are badasses and talk how they miss the old days when they met the Millwall at the train station.

Really ?  Please point out any threads to back up that statement.

I suppose the phrase ‘a lot’ would depend on who you support.

For example ‘ A lot ‘ to a Scunny fan would be far less than  ‘ a lot ‘ to a Town fan !!    Just saying 😉

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 69
Gaffer58
July 6, 2018, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
So if Rotherham get a home tie in the FA Cup against Leeds and the BBC want to show on a Friday evening will the police cancel the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 69
Northbank Mariner
July 6, 2018, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I am quite frankly. They've caused the cancellation of a friendly football match, is it really that terrible?

Is it to be compared with the horrendous incident you saw fit to refer to or even giving a few strikers a thick ear?

Hardly

Jesus Swin, lighten up a bit, your blood pressure must be off the richta scale!!....we are disappointed at the decision because it gave us fans, not the idiots who seem intent on bringing the game into disrepute, a chance to see and get to know our new team, our new approach and much needed time for the players to understand each other before the season gets underway....just because a certain bunch of knobs kicked off last year why should happen this time??....christ we pay the police enough to do their job and now you seem quite happy that they have shied away from their responsibilities....if I were to hide from my responsibilities I wouldn't look to pass the book and lay it at someone elses door, I'd just crack on and do what's expected of me.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 69
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

you seem quite happy that they have shied away from their responsibilities

But they HAVEN'T shied away from anything, that's the whole point. They are, for whatever reason,( leave, sickness, other responsibilities on that day more important than GTFC) unable to provide the cover that they believe, rightly or wrongly, is required.

Shame our local bobbies didn't perceive the risk associated with Sheff U and Port Vale

Oh and BTW just 'Swin' will do, I don't use 'Jesus' on here

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 69
Northbank Mariner
July 6, 2018, 7:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

But they HAVEN'T shied away from anything, that's the whole point. They are, for whatever reason,( leave, sickness, other responsibilities on that day more important than GTFC) unable to provide the cover that they believe, rightly or wrongly, is required.

Shame our local bobbies didn't perceive the risk associated with Sheff U and Port Vale

Oh and BTW just 'Swin' will do, I don't use 'Jesus' on here

Oh, c'mon Swin, even you're not that naive, they didn't want the hassle and took the easy option to give some excuse why it shouldn't go ahead, maybe it is systematic of the current situation of the policing problems country wide, but a county as large as South Yorkshire?...I don't believe they could not have manned it, due to a bunch of prats kicking off with our Yorkshire neighbours last year, not only do we as suffer, the team and the club do too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 69
Mighty_Mariner
July 6, 2018, 9:32pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Boring old fart

The very definition of pot - kettle - black!! 😂

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 69
Mighty_Mariner
July 6, 2018, 9:33pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

Boring old fart

The very definition of pot - kettle - black!! 😂

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 69
Garth
July 6, 2018, 10:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
It was just a friendly so not important in the general run of things, invite them to play the match here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 69
Croxton
July 6, 2018, 10:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Or.....Play it behind closed doors, film it. Highlights a.s.o.p. Both clubs get what they need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 69
Croxton
July 8, 2018, 9:42am
Cocktail Drinker
BBC NEWS just said that all Police Forces have to send officers to cope with security demands of Trump's visit. Maybe a Friday evening was also too much for a town centre venue?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 69
Garth
July 8, 2018, 10:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Croxton
BBC NEWS just said that all Police Forces have to send officers to cope with security demands of Trump's visit. Maybe a Friday evening was also too much for a town centre venue?

Trump is blamed for most things including the weather, but Towns cancellation is stretching things a bit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 69
Mallyner
July 8, 2018, 12:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Fake news. Fake news.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 69
Gaffer58
July 8, 2018, 4:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

I can understand this, probably a bit like a coronation in London and other forces having to send officers there but, whilst South Yorks or even Humberside officers are looking after trump is the general policing in my area compromised at all. If the Chief Constable says no, then he's got too many officers anyhow, if he says yes does it become a free for all for the local law breakers to have a field day. Perhaps someone like Burnsey (radio Humberside) could ask the question. Unless of course we are all go to get a reduction in the the police section of our rates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 69
barralad
July 8, 2018, 5:38pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
How long is Trump coming here for? He arrives on 13 July. Friendly v Rotherham was scheduled for 20th?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 69
Croxton
July 8, 2018, 6:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
As usual Barra' you speak an inconvenient truth. Yes, The Guardian says he is here in Britain from Thursday to Sunday so that excuse does not apply. As you were.
Would it be fake news to suggest that the clubs could not agree sharing police costs? I'll let it lie now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 8, 2018, 7:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from Croxton

Well Sheffield Wednesday playing in Lincoln next Friday night having sold out their allocation of 2000ish tickets plus others are said to be travelling, so ok for South Yorks to send fans out but not let them in.

Seems hard to believe that Grimsby fans are beyond control?

They clearly cope when they play their local derbies and in reality we will not be taking anything like the following the respective Sheffield teams will take for league games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 69
Vance Warner
July 8, 2018, 9:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,786
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Garth

Trump is blamed for most things including the weather, but Towns cancellation is stretching things a bit

It was Hitler's fault our best ever team broke up so there is some precedent!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
FishOutOfWater
July 9, 2018, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

They're not.....just that SY police have chosen not to "control" them  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 52 - 69
Gaffer58
July 9, 2018, 6:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Just seen Peter Levy saying that on tonight's Look North that due to some disruption after England's latest World Cup win Humberside police will be clamping down, South Yorks police have already written to FIFA asking for all remaining games to be cancelled as they cannot guarantee to keep the peace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
FishOutOfWater
July 10, 2018, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

They're not.....just that SY police have chosen not to "control" them  

Just out of curiosity, would you care to expand on that whoever it was that disagrees with my comment above?

Do you mean that Grimsby fans are beyond control?

Or do you think that SY police have not made the choice not to control them?

Just giving an x is hardly worth it, surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 69
nealeardleyscrossing
July 12, 2018, 1:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -322
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Well Sheffield Wednesday playing in Lincoln next Friday night having sold out their allocation of 2000ish tickets plus others are said to be travelling, so ok for South Yorks to send fans out but not let them in.

They clearly cope when they play their local derbies and in reality we will not be taking anything like the following the respective Sheffield teams will take for league games.

Wednesday have sold 3k, have the Stacey west, the Selenity and can pay on the gate - Personally think it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
Posh Harry
July 12, 2018, 8:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35

Wednesday have sold 3k, have the Stacey west, the Selenity and can pay on the gate - Personally think it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Nah. Wednesday fans are mainly ok. Now United fans.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
Croxton
July 15, 2018, 4:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Still not an excuse but Friday is the start of Sheffield Tramlines Music Festival. Recent attendances have topped 100,000 and takes place for the first time in Hillsborough Park. Locals have mixed feelings about this decision and expect a significant Police presence for this event. Manpower will be stretched for SYP so we lose out to the Stereophonics!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
Mallyner
July 15, 2018, 5:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Croxton
Still not an excuse but Friday is the start of Sheffield Tramlines Music Festival. Recent attendances have topped 100,000 and takes place for the first time in Hillsborough Park. Locals have mixed feelings about this decision and expect a significant Police presence for this event. Manpower will be stretched for SYP so we lose out to the Stereophonics!

I hope they can cope with those who go in their gladrags to have handbags.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
sam gy
July 15, 2018, 6:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,476
Gold Stars: 55
Police budgets slashed by this wretched government. Not surprised.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
arryarryarry
July 15, 2018, 6:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Posh Harry

Nah. Wednesday fans are mainly ok. Now United fans.........

You have obviously not been to many Town Wednesday matches.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 69
Posh Harry
July 15, 2018, 6:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,355
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from arryarryarry

You have obviously not been to many Town Wednesday matches.

I used to live in Sheffield. Most united fans are just thick northern monkies. There are plenty of exceptions to every rule but most wednesdayits that I knew were ok. And yes I have seen Town at Wednesday on a couple of occasions. Including that horrendous 7-1 defeat in the cup. Their stewards were terrible that day. Worse than their fans !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 69
dapperz fun pub
July 15, 2018, 6:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,928
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Posh Harry

I used to live in Sheffield. Most united fans are just thick northern monkies. There are plenty of exceptions to every rule but most wednesdayits that I knew were ok. And yes I have seen Town at Wednesday on a couple of occasions. Including that horrendous 7-1 defeat in the cup. Their stewards were terrible that day. Worse than their fans !!

We weren’t exactly on our best behaviour to be fair some serious disorder before and after I recall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 69
Croxton
July 15, 2018, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Yes, I remember following a group of our lads down Wadsley Lane to the ground. They were snowballing each other and the bay windows as they went. At least one house needed a glazier next day. I still think about that as I drive past almost daily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 69
nealeardleyscrossing
July 17, 2018, 10:21am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

To be fair it passed without incident really, few flares and a bit of disorder apparently, but on the whole was a very good atmosphere. Think they may struggle, they beat us., 1-0, but were quite fortunate and we almost had a team of trialists for the second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 69
Cloudy
July 17, 2018, 10:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431

To be fair it passed without incident really, few flares and a bit of disorder apparently, but on the whole was a very good atmosphere. Think they may struggle, they beat us., 1-0, but were quite fortunate and we almost had a team of trialists for the second half.

it was a pre season friendly, weeks before the start. dont read anything in to pre season games
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 69
nealeardleyscrossing
July 17, 2018, 11:05am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

it was a pre season friendly, weeks before the start. dont read anything in to pre season games

Good because Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday have beaten us! And we have Blackburns 1st team next too!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 69
Tinymariner
July 17, 2018, 11:50am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Being played behind closed doors now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 69
moosey_club
July 17, 2018, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226

Good because Norwich and Sheffield Wednesday have beaten us! And we have Blackburns 1st team next too!

We played Blackburn last pre season IIRC and they were fking awful !!

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 17, 2018, 4:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73

Well Dave Doyle your loveable overweight Steward was telling me on Saturday night that they were very difficult to handle and built like the proverbial outhouse. My Mrs tells me it was very lively in Weatherspoons on the Brayford when she left work but pleased to say all remained calm in the Plough at Skellingthorpe 😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 69
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Rotherham United Friendly Cancelled

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.