6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
July 6, 2018, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
i do work with someone who is adamant that he has seen plans of the wider scheme and that a football ground is shown on them down Freeman St.
Personally i dont believe it, he may have seen some proposals at some stage perhaps with it on but i just dont see it.

Also for the scheme announced...i just dont believe it will happen to anything like what they state. We may see more fancy paving and some shop fronts tarted up but in reality thats just more stuff that the already stretched council resources will have to service in the future.
Seen far too many proposals of regeneration going back to days of Yorkshire Forward , which had a tram running down Freeman St in 10 yrs ...and that was mid 90's i think.

Not holding my breath.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Bigdog
July 6, 2018, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 120790

Intrigued to hear what you think the benefits are to John Fenty, in being the chairman of a football league club?

As far as I can see, in the years he has been the chairman, its been all about him putting his hand in his pockets to give/lend money, not receive money. I'd hardly call that a benefit.

Now if you think that sitting in a posher seat and eating a prawn sandwich on a Saturday is a benefit, I'd suggest that he could do that anyway without having to pay the amount he has over the years for that minuscule experience.

Benefits indeed. Please don't make me laugh

It was in his own words that it was his dream to run GTFC. So the huge benefit is that he is living out his dream. He is in a very privileged position of being able to steer the direction of the football club he loves in whichever way he desires. You seriously think he'd have been doing it all this time if he hated it. If it was such a burden for him, he could have employed an experienced CEO years ago, one with a proven track record and maybe one that has had previous experience at a club that had procured a new stadium. In fact I wish that he had, we may have made greater strides off and on the pitch over the past sixteen years. Typical.. try defending his record rather than blindly defending the man. If the job's too difficult for him to make progress off the pitch or it's such a hardship on his part, then get someone else in. Ever wondered whether JF and his persona, attitude and modus operandi may be the roadblock to progression rather than the proposition itself? I'm not trying to be personal about JF, I'm just analysing his record over an increasingly large chunk of the club's history, and as always on here, I'll put my hopes for the future success of GTFC before anything else..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
moosey_club
July 6, 2018, 11:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

It almost feels like this is the door closing on the whole idea of the new ground.  My son wasn't even born when I received my red Conoco cap, he's 16 now and views the new ground in the same way as he views the Yeti, he's seen a picture of it but nothing more.

please tell me the Yeti wasnt pictured near Peakes Parkway or we'll have no chance of building on there !!!  

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2018, 11:33am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin
It's obvious everyone is bored with having no Town games, no exciting signings and the World Cup being tantamount to a penalty competition.

After a refreshing break of three or four months (since he employed Jolley) it looks like it's starting to become 'have a go at Fenty' time again

Leave it until we are 10 games into next season please

Do be sure to send out a note telling us when it’s OK to criticise. I thought it was open season to be critical or does that only apply to your incessant whinging?

Patronising old fart.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Stranger in the Park
July 6, 2018, 11:55am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Firstly ,the "deal" announced is limited by the fact that NELC has to find £30million of the amount-from where? Mr Oxby is well aware that he is up for re-election next time round and currently the balance of power is precariously close to tipping away from him so he will keep on  releasing "feel good "news to bolster his position.
Secondly ,Mr Fenty is an opposition councilor so will not receive any favours from the current leadership or the blatantly "left" officers who actually run this fiasco of a council.When ,or if, we get a new stadium will be down to the discretion of the officer elite - the Councillors will only rubber stamp the decision.  Whether Mr Oxby-also an ex council officer- is a town fan or not he certainly knows which side his bread is buttered and will not compromise his own position to further GTFC's fortunes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
LH
July 6, 2018, 12:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from monkeyboy
67 million for this town lol, howler. like chucking 10p at a high class hooker.
Buys you fook all, just gets lardy mel onns face in the paper again.

Probably cost more to demolish all the shite the council are resposible for building.

You might make a valid point but is the personal insult neccesary? Can we assume you’ve got a calendar coming out for 2019?
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
diehardmariner
July 6, 2018, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,530
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from moosey_club
i do work with someone who is adamant that he has seen plans of the wider scheme and that a football ground is shown on them down Freeman St.
Personally i dont believe it, he may have seen some proposals at some stage perhaps with it on but i just dont see it.

That's what I was told.  Total knockdown of the Freeman Street area around Riby Square, thinking beyond the flats and the much wider area.   Stadium built as part of a much larger complex that includes a council super-hub where all their offices and bases are, partly funded by grants but also from the sale of council buildings that are expensive to run but also form part of a nightmare estates management situation because they're so spread out.   Few strategic council buildings would remain but the vast bulk would be in the Riby Square superhub.

Parking wouldn't be an issue as part of the plans would incorporate a huge staff car-park, vast majority of staff wouldn't be there for 3pm or 7:45pm games.

This was a while ago, around the time the feasibility studies were underway.  I was told that Freeman Street was the favoured choice of quite a few people with influence on the decision so was surprised that it was dismissed out of hand.  

Personally I think it's the best option by an absolute mile.  Not just for the club but for the area overall.   Town Centre is, at present, propped up by the people who work in that area popping in and out on their lunch break.  However the Town Centre is also dying a slow and painful death.  Freshney Place has forced many shops out with their extortionate rental rates which has then seen a decrease in people bothering to venture in (other than to use it as a thoroughfare when it's bad weather).  :Less people visiting = less sales.  Less sales = less business = less jobs = less people paying tax & with disposable income to spend = a vicious circle.

Move the workers up to Riby Square where independent businesses can be supported alongside larger retailers (who won't move up there at the minute because there's no captive audience) that will want to open up.  Remove Freshney Place's ability to strangle the local economy.  Town centre can still thrive as an entertainment hub, retail moves up to Freeman Street.

GTFC get a stadium in a prime location with access to the motorway, bus routes, train-line and with sufficient parking, existing number of pubs and shops (which would no doubt increase) for the fans.  Pretty sure most clubs with an eye on a new stadium would love to have somewhere like to build.  
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
moosey_club
July 6, 2018, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

That's what I was told.  Total knockdown of the Freeman Street area around Riby Square, thinking beyond the flats and the much wider area.   Stadium built as part of a much larger complex that includes a council super-hub where all their offices and bases are, partly funded by grants but also from the sale of council buildings that are expensive to run but also form part of a nightmare estates management situation because they're so spread out.   Few strategic council buildings would remain but the vast bulk would be in the Riby Square superhub.

Parking wouldn't be an issue as part of the plans would incorporate a huge staff car-park, vast majority of staff wouldn't be there for 3pm or 7:45pm games.

This was a while ago, around the time the feasibility studies were underway.  I was told that Freeman Street was the favoured choice of quite a few people with influence on the decision so was surprised that it was dismissed out of hand.  

Personally I think it's the best option by an absolute mile.  Not just for the club but for the area overall.   Town Centre is, at present, propped up by the people who work in that area popping in and out on their lunch break.  However the Town Centre is also dying a slow and painful death.  Freshney Place has forced many shops out with their extortionate rental rates which has then seen a decrease in people bothering to venture in (other than to use it as a thoroughfare when it's bad weather).  :Less people visiting = less sales.  Less sales = less business = less jobs = less people paying tax & with disposable income to spend = a vicious circle.

Move the workers up to Riby Square where independent businesses can be supported alongside larger retailers (who won't move up there at the minute because there's no captive audience) that will want to open up.  Remove Freshney Place's ability to strangle the local economy.  Town centre can still thrive as an entertainment hub, retail moves up to Freeman Street.

GTFC get a stadium in a prime location with access to the motorway, bus routes, train-line and with sufficient parking, existing number of pubs and shops (which would no doubt increase) for the fans.  Pretty sure most clubs with an eye on a new stadium would love to have somewhere like to build.  

Jeez....have you forget where you are ? Coming on here talking sense    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
psgmariner
July 6, 2018, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Seems the rumour I heard about Freemo is gathering pace. Really hope so.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
Cloudy
July 6, 2018, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I seem to recall the idea for the council offices to be incorporated into the stadium build/ site came about in an editorial in the now defunct Cleethorpes Chroncile some time ago?
Certainly angered JSF at the time
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › £67m Town Deal Signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.