Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 379 Guests

£67m Town Deal Signed

This thread currently has 7,127 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
July 6, 2018, 9:40am
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog

If JF thinks he can continue enjoying the benefits of being a Football League club's chairman

Intrigued to hear what you think the benefits are to John Fenty, in being the chairman of a football league club?

As far as I can see, in the years he has been the chairman, its been all about him putting his hand in his pockets to give/lend money, not receive money. I'd hardly call that a benefit.

Now if you think that sitting in a posher seat and eating a prawn sandwich on a Saturday is a benefit, I'd suggest that he could do that anyway without having to pay the amount he has over the years for that minuscule experience.

Benefits indeed. Please don't make me laugh

Reply: 30 - 51
GollyGTFC
July 6, 2018, 9:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Peaks Parkway was only picked because at the time Fenty insisted that the enabling development had to be on the stadium site. He’s since back tracked on this and said enabling developments could be anywhere in NE Lincs.

Garth Lane would be ideal.Town centre location and close to railway station and town centre bus routes. And it’s bang next door to the Riverhead development.

Is the Garth Lane still available or has it been sold to another developer?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 51
1mickylyons
July 6, 2018, 9:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from 120790

Intrigued to hear what you think the benefits are to John Fenty, in being the chairman of a football league club?

As far as I can see, in the years he has been the chairman, its been all about him putting his hand in his pockets to give/lend money, not receive money. I'd hardly call that a benefit.

Now if you think that sitting in a posher seat and eating a prawn sandwich on a Saturday is a benefit, I'd suggest that he could do that anyway without having to pay the amount he has over the years for that minuscule experience.

Benefits indeed. Please don't make me laugh

If/when he leaves I think he wants ALL that money back so in effect won`t he have had his prawn sandwiches and posher seats for nowt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 51
diehardmariner
July 6, 2018, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Peaks Parkway was only picked because at the time Fenty insisted that the enabling development had to be on the stadium site. He’s since back tracked on this and said enabling developments could be anywhere in NE Lincs.

Garth Lane would be ideal.Town centre location and close to railway station and town centre bus routes. And it’s bang next door to the Riverhead development.

Happy to be corrected but I think Garth Lane would be too small, even without an enabling development.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 51
MarinerMal
July 6, 2018, 10:00am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from 1mickylyons

If/when he leaves I think he wants ALL that money back so in effect won`t he have had his prawn sandwiches and posher seats for nowt?

Garth Lane is far too small a site. You might just fit a smallish stadium in there but that would be it. Very little parking available, surrounded by town houses. The traffic on Saturday match days would be far worse than now and much worse than even PP. In essence we would move location but still be faced with similar problems.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 51
1mickylyons
July 6, 2018, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

A football stadium there would be a problem assuming it would fit? I suppose a road off the 180 direct to the ground could though be a possibility to at least get rid of traffic congestion and added to it fans would be able to access the ground far easier from train and bus? A poor 3rd choice at best for me though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 51
Ipswin
July 6, 2018, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
It's obvious everyone is bored with having no Town games, no exciting signings and the World Cup being tantamount to a penalty competition.

After a refreshing break of three or four months (since he employed Jolley) it looks like it's starting to become 'have a go at Fenty' time again

Leave it until we are 10 games into next season please

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 51
Dogger Bank
July 6, 2018, 10:29am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Garth Lane would be a ridiculous place to put a football ground. It would cause similar or worse problems with traffic congestion and has been stated the parking would not be enough. Peaks Parkway would have been a far superior location if comparing both. Without going over old ground Great Coates would have been ideal, gateway to the town, good road and rail links, easily commutable and not too far out and was big enough. Unfortunately that ship seems to have sailed.

The local authority could do more but some councillors seem hell bent on keeping this town in the dark ages. That must be frustrating to the ones who want to try and progress the area. A football club, especially a league member is a major part of a community and should be capitalised on as if successful brings income to the area and surrounding businesses. I love the club and the town, it has got so much going for it. I do despair though when I see how other areas progress where we could but don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 51
1mickylyons
July 6, 2018, 10:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin
It's obvious everyone is bored with having no Town games, no exciting signings and the World Cup being tantamount to a penalty competition.

After a refreshing break of three or four months (since he employed Jolley) it looks like it's starting to become 'have a go at Fenty' time again

Leave it until we are 10 games into next season please

Not sure they are Swin I think most fair minded people blame the Council for the lack of new ground of course Fenty`s part of that but you know what I mean.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 51
1mickylyons
July 6, 2018, 10:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Dogger Bank

Garth Lane would be a ridiculous place to put a football ground. It would cause similar or worse problems with traffic congestion and has been stated the parking would not be enough. Peaks Parkway would have been a far superior location if comparing both. Without going over old ground Great Coates would have been ideal, gateway to the town, good road and rail links, easily commutable and not too far out and was big enough. Unfortunately that ship seems to have sailed.

The local authority could do more but some councillors seem hell bent on keeping this town in the dark ages. That must be frustrating to the ones who want to try and progress the area. A football club, especially a league member is a major part of a community and should be capitalised on as if successful brings income to the area and surrounding businesses. I love the club and the town, it has got so much going for it. I do despair though when I see how other areas progress where we could but don't.

This Council built Meridian Point ,scrapped Scartho Baths and built another leisure centre on the site of one already failing due to lack of footfall.What chance have we got?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › £67m Town Deal Signed

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.