Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Very, very quiet......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 189 Guests

Very, very quiet......

This thread currently has 2,789 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
July 4, 2018, 9:17pm
Guest User
I was really hoping for some movement IN this week. It has been very quiet this week. I hope we aren’t struggling to attract the right calibre of player.

Fingers crossed for some movement!
Cloudy
July 4, 2018, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I think we will always struggle to attract high quality players for our level because we simply don't have the money.

Notts County, Lincoln, Mansfield are all splashing the cash but not sure how sustainable it is if they don't get promotion.

I hope MJ can build a team, hopefully one that is greater than the sum if it's parts. That's as much as we can hope for when the clubs mentioned are paying fees of £100k+, huge signing on fees and much higher wages.

Still hope we can get a decent striker that will give us a sniff if a play off place
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
LondonMariner43
July 4, 2018, 9:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Prbabr waiting for them to get back from Warwick.  Seems to be plenty of rumors flying around
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Mighty_Mariner
July 4, 2018, 9:36pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
To be fair it's going to be very difficult to sign players while the management team are away I think Warwick. Do we know when they're back?

I'd imagine deals are probably in place to be rubber stamped back end of this week/early next week!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
The Yard Dog
July 4, 2018, 9:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Gone for 5 days, play Cleethorpes on Saturday lunchtime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Tommy
July 4, 2018, 10:47pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 1542
I was really hoping for some movement IN this week. It has been very quiet this week. I hope we aren’t struggling to attract the right calibre of player.

Fingers crossed for some movement!

This bit in bold got me thinking. Which players from Accrington's squad last year would we have been thinking would be the right calibre of player for a title winning team? Probably none.

You don't have to have spectacular individual players in this league. A well coached, well organised and hard working team will go a long way if there's a bit of quality in there as well. Doesn't have to be well-known names or star players.

I trust Jolley is going to get more out of players than they've shown at previous clubs and the professionalism and organisation of the Management team will see us be competitive.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
KingstonMariner
July 4, 2018, 10:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Shouldn't think being in Warwick has anything to do with it Mighty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Impish2
July 4, 2018, 11:01pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from Cloudy
I think we will always struggle to attract high quality players for our level because we simply don't have the money.

Notts County, Lincoln, Mansfield are all splashing the cash but not sure how sustainable it is if they don't get promotion.

Are we? We have lost 8 players (getting fees for at least 5 of them) and signed only 4 so far. None of the 4 cost a fee even if they are now paid a good wage. We got 250k for Woodyard, he and Palmer would have been on decent contracts here too. Even if Akinde signs we are not on the same page as the likes of Mansfield and County.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
KingstonMariner
July 4, 2018, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Mansfield will be in trouble if they're splashing the cash with no reward. Lincoln spending should be sustainable within reason. Notts get decent crowds too.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 4, 2018, 11:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,761
Gold Stars: 177
Who says that players haven't been training with town already and/or players been in Warwick on trial?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Very, very quiet......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.