This thread currently has 3,487 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
July 4, 2018, 8:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I know ifollow is essentially something all/most of EFL clubs have and probably are obliged to do so.

I wonder if Town actually make any money from it or would it be more beneficial long term to give all info, interviews etc free of charge to everyone? I sometimes think the club are missing a trick by not saturating the local & social media with information to try and drum up interest and season ticket/shirt sales rather than holding stuff back unless fans pay for it?

I appreciate this is modern marketing but not certain a club like GTFC should just blindly follow the herd?
Private Message
MrFisherman
July 4, 2018, 9:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: -168
Why don't they get the Trust to run it😉😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Cloudy
July 4, 2018, 9:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MrFisherman
Why don't they get the Trust to run it😉😉

Run what? The EFL wide ifollow?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
promotion plaice
July 4, 2018, 9:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I don't think EFL clubs are obliged to subscribe to iFollow.......Accrington and a few mainly Championship clubs aren't signed up to it I think.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Roast Em Bobby
July 4, 2018, 9:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quite happy with it personally now that you can stream away games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
Kris2
July 4, 2018, 9:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Cloudy
I know ifollow is essentially something all/most of EFL clubs have and probably are obliged to do so.

I wonder if Town actually make any money from it or would it be more beneficial long term to give all info, interviews etc free of charge to everyone? I sometimes think the club are missing a trick by not saturating the local & social media with information to try and drum up interest and season ticket/shirt sales rather than holding stuff back unless fans pay for it?

I appreciate this is modern marketing but not certain a club like GTFC should just blindly follow the herd?

They give you 90% of stuff for free anyway. You occasionally don't get a 5-6 minute interview piece that isn't very interesting.

They don't give you commentary or match streams because then nobody would pay for it.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
TheGoalKipper
July 5, 2018, 3:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +321
Have Ifollow now managed to block live streaming to UK residents using overseas IP's?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
fiveallive
July 5, 2018, 4:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TheGoalKipper
Have Ifollow now managed to block live streaming to UK residents using overseas IP's?

I haven't read anything to say they have stopped it, I'll wait to the Macclesfield game and trial it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
July 7, 2018, 9:01am
Guest User
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Quite happy with it personally now that you can stream away games

Is this a fact!  I am totally confused with this whole Ifollow thing,(Could be my age too), so if we take a dearer package, we can see all Town away matches all season, even if we live in the UK?
Reply: 8 - 18
Tommy
July 7, 2018, 10:12am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 123614

Is this a fact!  I am totally confused with this whole Ifollow thing,(Could be my age too), so if we take a dearer package, we can see all Town away matches all season, even if we live in the UK?

Not quite. I've read it as, away games that are not within the Saturday 2.45-5.15pm blackout can be streamed to UK viewers. So any midweek games or early kick offs (Mansfield, Lincoln).

Edit: I now can't find where I might have read that so maybe wrong.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
July 7, 2018, 11:11am
Guest User
Ahh, that sounds about right.  So the question is, how many of those games will there be, and how much will it cost and will it be worth the extra to see just a few live games?
Reply: 10 - 18
Grimal
July 7, 2018, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Tommy

Not quite. I've read it as, away games that are not within the Saturday 2.45-5.15pm blackout can be streamed to UK viewers. So any midweek games or early kick offs (Mansfield, Lincoln).

Edit: I now can't find where I might have read that so maybe wrong.

Is this what you read Tommy ?

Following iFollow’s successful introduction in 2017/18 for supporters based overseas, enhancements are being introduced to the live streaming platform ahead of the start of the new campaign at no extra cost to viewers.
Improved production values are being implemented across the online broadcasting service, providing Clubs with the scope to introduce bespoke commentary as well as on-screen graphics. Some midweek Championship matches will also benefit from a four camera setup while additional enhancements to iFollow include more in-game statistics via the app, mobile/desktop websites and an improved match centre.
Prices for the platform have been frozen at £110 for the season for overseas viewers, and International Season Pass subscriptions are on sale as of today. Supporters can find out details on how to subscribe by visiting your Club’s website.
In a second development, and in what is a first for English football, some Sky Bet EFL matches will also be made available to watch to supporters within the UK and Ireland throughout the 2018/19 season via iFollow
This development has been made possible due to the new broadcast agreement with Sky which was agreed last year, whereby EFL Clubs have been granted the rights to stream games to a domestic audience, in addition to their followers overseas which has been available since the start of 2017/18.
EFL Clubs will be able to live-stream in the UK and Ireland any league match via their respective iFollow (or equivalent) service that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports. Fixtures taking place on Bank Holidays or Easter will be unavailable for streaming. Sky Sports will have the right to stream the same Championship fixtures to subscribers across their interactive and digital services.
Details of how to access EFL matches domestically will be announced in due course.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Tommy
July 8, 2018, 8:17am
Season Ticket Holder
Yeah that's one Al thanks.

Reading it again, it doesn't actually specify that it's just away games.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
drbell
July 8, 2018, 7:47pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
Subscribe
iFollow is back for the 2018/19 season, and it’s bigger than ever!

Last year we brought international fans live streams of their club games for the first time in EFL history, now supporters inside the UK will be part of the action.

Any games played outside of blocked hours (not between 14:45 – 17:15 on a Saturday) and not shown by Sky Sports will be available to watch for domestic fans.

What’s more, the product is new and improved from 2017/18, with in-stream commentary and graphics set to add value to the ground breaking service.

Season pass prices for international fans have been frozen at £110, whilst supporters in the UK can purchase their match passes from £10.*

Select your club from the list below and sign up today!

*Note that Match Passes will become available to UK Fans following the first round of TV selections
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
drbell
July 9, 2018, 4:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +269
Gold Stars: 14
As an South coast exile, I'll be pretty happy if I can at least watch mid week games for a tenner. Hope most of that goes to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
moosey_club
July 9, 2018, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,208
Gold Stars: 224
Pretty sure on a previous thread i started on the same subject that someone posted that there was only 4 ?? games scheduled for outside the protected time slots anyway....now that the Lincoln & Mansfield games have shifted they would now add to the list... but .... i have only read that games "are able to be made available"....no guarantee, just are available and i think that also came with a caveat " clubs permission" .

Cant see JF sanctioning any home game being made available as that would devalue the product wouldnt it ? Only maybe where a sell out has been achieved and some extra coin could be earned by also then streaming it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
pen penfras
July 9, 2018, 5:46pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from moosey_club
Pretty sure on a previous thread i started on the same subject that someone posted that there was only 4 ?? games scheduled for outside the protected time slots anyway....now that the Lincoln & Mansfield games have shifted they would now add to the list... but .... i have only read that games "are able to be made available"....no guarantee, just are available and i think that also came with a caveat " clubs permission" .

Cant see JF sanctioning any home game being made available as that would devalue the product wouldnt it ? Only maybe where a sell out has been achieved and some extra coin could be earned by also then streaming it.

There are 11 games outside the protected window. Assuming that Christmas and Easter games are eligible to be shown too.

I'm ambivalent about this iFollow situation. On one hand, it allows me to watch some games that I wouldn't have been able to get to and hopefully the club get some money from it. But on the other, there will definitely be some people who would have gone to the game but will instead watch at home or in a pub. I expect the club don't see much money from it either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Tommy
July 9, 2018, 6:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from pen penfras

There are 11 games outside the protected window. Assuming that Christmas and Easter games are eligible to be shown too.

I'm ambivalent about this iFollow situation. On one hand, it allows me to watch some games that I wouldn't have been able to get to and hopefully the club get some money from it. But on the other, there will definitely be some people who would have gone to the game but will instead watch at home or in a pub. I expect the club don't see much money from it either.

The text Grimal quoted on this thread says that Bank Holiday/Easter games aren't eligible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Tommy
July 12, 2018, 1:28pm
Season Ticket Holder

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ifollow

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.